Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau....
Old 08 Jul 2008, 18:08   #11 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: First game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texibus
I need to get on those pathfinders you suggested then ;]

I appreciate all the input ;]
no problem. Yeah, I'll always be taking at least 1 squad of pathfinders if not two from now on. Pathfinder rail rifles can be pretty brutal.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 18:41   #12 (permalink)
ndj
Kroot Shaper

I've posted this list which is still pretty theoretical. Would you care to comment it based on your first hand experience ?

PS: great explanation on the Positional Relay, I hadn't considered placing exactly 2 units in reserve...
ndj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 18:52   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndj
I've posted this list which is still pretty theoretical. Would you care to comment it based on your first hand experience ?

PS: great explanation on the Positional Relay, I hadn't considered placing exactly 2 units in reserve...
I'll take a look at the list in a second. But yeah, you dont have to place exactly two units in reserve. There's other ways to manipulate reserves using the Positional Relay. You can put 4 or so units in reserve and the thing is that the Positional Relay allows you to bring units out 1 at a time. If you use the positional relay then you can only bring out that 1 unit. The rest stay in reserve. This means if you dont want your units to come out of reserve then you can just use the Positional Relay to bring out 1 unit and the rest stay put. So say if you dont want your kroot to come out until the very end of the game until turn 4 so that you can deploy them to capture late game objectives and protect them from enemy fire then you can keep them in using the Positional Relay. See what I mean?

I replied to your list. Hope my advice helps.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 19:36   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

I LOVE pathfinders, and now that area terrain doesn't block line of sight, I think I'll LOVE sniper drone teams with their support. Especialy for both pinning and pealling apart the Space Marines.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 20:27   #15 (permalink)
Shas'El

I find it's effective to not completely remove their cover saves. You can spend 2 marker light hits and reduce their saves to 6. Which is almost useless. It's also frustrating for a marine player who is used to getting 3+ saves. Now he gets a save thats worse than a guardsman. hehe... it's pretty evil.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 02:28   #16 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you're looking for Markerlight support, let's not overlook stealth teams. Pathfinders are points-efficient markerlights in bulk, so they're absolutely viable, but stealth teams have something to offer as well. As I'm sure we all know jet packs and drones can JSJ with the markers now. Taking a 6 man stealth team runs 180 points. Upgrade to a Shas'vre with a hard-wired target lock, a markerlight, and 2 marker drones (taking of course, a hardwired drone controller) for 85 points. So, for 265 pts. you've added 3 markers onto an essentially unmodified stealth team, as they retain their withering S5 firepower.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:17   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's also true. I hadn't had a chance to use the new "relentless" rule yet. I will work this into my next game. Thank you.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:04   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But you can't just buy drones and TL for the leader, you have to buy the upgrade for all of them, don't you?

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 13:16   #19 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I haven't got my codex at hand to double check, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a hard-wired TL for the team leader without having to buy anything for the other suits, though personally I almost always give my stealths TA. 18 shots at 3+ to hit? Yes, please. And markerlights to strip away cover and improve ballistics to 2+? I know a couple of Marine players who are going to wonder why they suddenly have a large pile of dead marines at their side.

Quote:
But you can't just buy drones and TL for the leader, you have to buy the upgrade for all of them, don't you?
XV84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 14:13   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes if you buy a support system, all 3 models must have some support system taken, just that they get to have a different one. But on closer reading, I realized that only applied to non-HW supports. So you are right; slapping a HWDC and HWTL on the leader will allow you to have 3 more lights on an essentially unchanged stealth team.

However, I recall it being mentioned elsewhere that the drones have to fire at the same target as the rest of the squad and not target elsewhere along with the leader, as the drones are considered part of the squad and not the leader.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote