Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Emp Grenades or Photon or Bah?
Closed Thread
Old 01 May 2005, 02:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Emp Grenades or Photon or Bah?

im debating, well ive alredy attached a little grenade to one of my FW's, im debating weather to actually include it like, be able to use it in a actual game, ive read up about it in the codex,im thinking of getting emp, might help my crisis battle suits against enemy vechiles, well whats your opinions?

EDIT< WRong forum sorry, somone please move to TAU, dam lol
Old 01 May 2005, 09:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Emp Grenades or Photon or Bah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofan
im debating, well ive alredy attached a little grenade to one of my FW's, im debating weather to actually include it like, be able to use it in a actual game, ive read up about it in the codex,im thinking of getting emp, might help my crisis battle suits against enemy vechiles, well whats your opinions?

EDIT< WRong forum sorry, somone please move to TAU, dam lol
crisis suits, or stealthsuits cant take EMP grenades. they're fire warrior only, and for 3 points each (36points/12man squad) IMO its not worth it under any circumstances. Photon grenades have their uses against guardsmen and possibly tac squads, but against dedicated assault troops, they're pretty worthless. Overall, they just delay the inevitable. i say no.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 01 May 2005, 10:15   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You can have little squads of FW running around with EMP ready to take out tanks and the like.

It often catches the enemy un-awares!
Old 01 May 2005, 13:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

its an interesting option, but i'd say no grenades for FW to keep them nice and cheap. EMPs may be worth it for PFs, but i wouldn't advise using grenades at all.
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 01 May 2005, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

To me, the Photon grenades aren't worth it at all. We all know what happens when we're charged by an enemy in assault. Photon grenades just don't make a big enough impact for protection. Having two gundrones acting as assault-bait 2 inches in front of the squad is far more effective though it even costs more.

The EMP grenades are expensive, and rarely used because quite frankly, how often have you had your Tau within 6 inches of assault range of a vehicle and you did not fire your rapidfire (preventing an assault charge). EMP grenades were useful back in 3rd edition on Pathfinders as we could make a daring burst, early in the game and attempt to assault an armored beast. However, now in 4th, no more screening so our Fish won't protect us in that sense. Fire Warriors could make good use of EMP grenades in a small group, mounted in a Devilfish as sort fo a small bomber squad. I've only done this a few times myself, and it worked reasonably well, but it should only be done as a last resort, or if you just want a challenge or if it's just fluffy and themeful to you.

Really - we don't need either of them at all, so it comes down to how many extra points you don't mind spending that you will probably not see a benefit for.
Old 01 May 2005, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just as Mal has stated..."Bah" on both...they are rarely worth it and end up being too big of points grabs...

The only thing that Mal has forgot to mention is the Infamous "Auxilleries Fodder Charge". That is when you load up about 8-10 Auxilleries with EMP's and send them on anti-tank charges and go from there...only do this if you have points and models to throw away, as Tanks are targets for our Railguns! ^-^
Old 01 May 2005, 19:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Both dont do enough to be worth their points and just arent worht it because you will never get to use their benefits.

and its the whole squad or none just to inform you, you cant have one EMP
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 01 May 2005, 20:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If my carbine could fire EMP grenades, then they'd be worth taking. Hey........just the solution to fix the carbine! mmm sweet death to all those tread heads who oppose me. ;D > Huzzah! Broken as hell, but fun!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 May 2005, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

My take is that Photons are pretty well unusable and EMP grenades, while unsuited for FW squads, are godly when put on PF of Gue'vesa squads. In one battle my friend played, 4 SMurf tanks went down to a single PF squad with EMPs. Honestly the Firecaste are so hopeless at CC (i lost 7 fire warriors to 1, ONE!!! Space Marine) that Photons hardly matter, and the fact that the Pulse Rifles are viable light anti-tanks weapons (read: killing 2 Preadators per turn) mean that EMPs are unnecisary. The ability to get that much antitank power close to enemy lines with the Pathfinders beceause of their Fast Attack status, or one Gue'vesa teams beceause they are suicide squads, however, makes them quite worth it as far as my experience goes.
Old 02 May 2005, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

The grenades just suck. As MalVeaux pointed out, the FW will be oblitorated in close combat anyway, and the Photon really dosent help much. As for the EMP, (also like MalVeaus said) why not just shoot it with rapid fire. The gun can usualy destroy most light tanks.
Closed Thread