Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[5th] Sky-Ray > Hammerhead?
Old 28 Jun 2008, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [5th] Sky-Ray > Hammerhead?

Now, I am mostly bringing this argument up from a 5th Edition standpoint. But now that our S5 weapons are Primary instead of Defensive, I think the Sky-Ray will be a fantastic all-around tank in 5th edition - and one that can multi-task.

Sky Ray, with SMS, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker, and Targeting Array. You can move 12", fire the SMS (potentially at a secondary target), and get 2 Markerlight Shots, which can immediately translate into Seeker Missile shots. Of course, the Seeker isn't going to take the place of the mighty Railgun. But using the Sky-Ray in the same manner as an IonHead, I believe the 'Ray comes out on top.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 05:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [5th] Sky-Ray > Hammerhead?

well remember that S8 weapons cannot kill AV14 anymore so there is still a need for high strength railheads.
the real benefit of the skyray now is that it can hide on what little blocking LOS terrain is on the table and rely on the network markerlights to get it's big shots off, as well as reduce cover saves, improve BS etc.. with it's own set of marker lights once it is out of seeker missles.

also pretty much every upgrade for tau tanks is going to be mandatory except sensor spines and the black sun filter in 5th. as they all provide protection for tau tanks not afforded to any other army.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 05:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I think we'll see more marker lights taking to the field. Especially since they're going to be a little more usefull against armies like Eldar, but I dont think that they'll EVER take the place of "the Almighty Hammerhead"...

I like to use Skyrays in fun games, but using them competetively doesn't really work out well for me. Only if I get lucky honestly.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, given the new Flanking rules, they might be a useful replacement for Broadsides.

DUNDUNDUN
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 06:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's strange, Jedibean. The one I bought must've been lucky...I used to lose every game up until I got my Sky Ray. Now I've been winning tournaments!

Now indeed, the Seeker missile isn't going to replace the mighty Hammerhead. But I do believe its safe to say that we can play Sky-Rays as an offensive, closer-ranged tank that can spread fire amongst Infantry and most armor.

Railguns...whether it be the Hammerhead or Broadside...is going to take on a new role. With TLOS, and the loss of our S5 defensive weapons, I think these puppies are just going to sit back and lob shots like a Basilisk.

As for Wargear on Tanks, I think we'll wind up simply swapping the Decoy Launcher with Disruption Pods. I mean, had it not been for the glancing-vs-skimmers rule, My tanks would be easy swiss cheese. And now in 5th, I don't see the reason of spending 5pts on a DL when, in all likelyhood, you probably won't use it. But Decoy Launchers...especially with the new Hull-Down rules...completely trumps the DL. I mean, a 4+ save against ALL DAMAGE WHATSOEVER, so long as you're over 12" away? I honestly don't see why people think our tanks are getting nerf'd. Our tanks will be even more unstoppable, at the cost of a handful of S5 shots (of course).
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 08:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I think we'll wind up simply swapping the Decoy Launcher with Disruption Pods.
uh no, no we won't. a glance immobilised is the worst possible thing that can happen on the glance tablenow -glance 6 which means making them re-roll is a very good thing indeed, 1-3 no shooting, 4 stunned, 5 weapon destroyed and 6 immobilised. i'll gladly spend 5 points to prevent myself from being a sitting duck.

all the upgrades now are useful except the 2 i mentioned because of the 5th edtion shooting and CC rules against tanks. we literally need all of them.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 14:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau

Form my opinion the all upgrades available to any tank ill take. Ever single one. Yes a hammerhead may cost 225 points fully kitted up but i just don't care. Id rather be able to keep those points on my side in a game with a practically unstoppable tank. Even in smaller games, tanks with all the upgrades only increase the cost by about 30points. Whats the big deal???
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 15:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
uh no, no we won't. a glance immobilised is the worst possible thing that can happen on the glance tablenow -glance 6 which means making them re-roll is a very good thing indeed, 1-3 no shooting, 4 stunned, 5 weapon destroyed and 6 immobilised. i'll gladly spend 5 points to prevent myself from being a sitting duck.

all the upgrades now are useful except the 2 i mentioned because of the 5th edtion shooting and CC rules against tanks. we literally need all of them.
Yes, except that Immobilizations will no longer kill our tanks - we can't move at Flat Out speed. So I can see DLs being useful, but a secondary consideration.

However, on Piranhas, Immobilization still kill, so might as well bring 'em.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 28 Jun 2008, 16:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I think you're mistaken Elliot. From what I read in the rulebook skimmers that move more than 6" still wreck. So yeah, we'll be needing those decoy launchers.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 17:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I think you're mistaken Elliot. From what I read in the rulebook skimmers that move more than 6" still wreck. So yeah, we'll be needing those decoy launchers.
hmmm, not to be rude, but I was pretty sure I checked this out. Would you mind giving it another once over?