Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau/ Restarting 40k
Closed Thread
Old 30 Apr 2005, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting Tau/ Restarting 40k

I am just starting to play again after a 4.5 year break.
I used to play eldar, but wanted to start with something new so I started a Tau army a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about going Mech, but I am not sure what to do so I have included a list of the models I have for help deciding.

3 Crisis Suits, I am not sure which weapons configs I want so they are unarmed as of now.
12 Fire Warriors in a Devilfish
8 Pathfinders in a Devilfish, how good are the railrifles? I wasn't sure so I just have normal guys.
6 Stealth Suits

I was thinking about adding another Fire Warrior squad, a Kroot squad, and 2 Hammerheads, but that is if I go Kinda Mech/Mech.
Is it a good idea to have only monat suits or should I get a few more?
Are markerlights on fire warriors good?
Lone broadside or no?

my last question: is Mech Tau is good against Chaos? Why?
Old 30 Apr 2005, 11:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Starting Tau/ Restarting 40k

Well, I don't play mech, but i'm considering it..

Have you read:
Guide to Mech Tau - external link to site made by members of the mech tau msn group
Know Your Self and
The Utterly Comprehensive guide to playing Tau

And now, regarding what you already have.. your all set up to play mech tau! :d - everything you have atm has either a jetpack or a grav transport.. I'd say its a pretty strong and mobile starting force, but it lacks railguns.. regardless of whether or not your playing mech or not, I'd say you'd need hammerheads, another squad of firewarriors, and a squad of kroot anyway. The reason being, more FW for quantity of firepower and evening out the force, HH for real tank killing power, and kroot for covering the CC aspect - keep in mind they can infiltrate, which, even if your playing mech, can still be used to claim table quarters early, and just camp there etc..

Monat - if you have a few suits, it would be good, because it means your suits aren't restricted to moving around together and shooting at the same target/using up points to get a target lock, and, they can get drones, and the drones will actually soak up hits, plus in order to be killed, they usually do need your opponents firepower to be split up..

Markerlights - if your playing mech, you probably won't get a chance to use them, if not, and your using FW as static firebases, probably, if your expecting heavy targets to stray too close..

Broadside - its a really static unit, and if your considering mech, it would have to be deployed somewhere.. and just left there to cover areas.. I'm not too sure on this..

Vs Chaos - Mech gives you the advantage of manouvreability, which, in terms of playing against chaos, should allow you to avoid assault and just gun down the units

Hope that helps, the Mech players around here should be posting soon..
Old 30 Apr 2005, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mech tau can be great against Chaos, however, it can also be a death sentence. Chaos unfortunately has the abusability to have a lot of things that move just as fast as you do, without armor values. They also can field hordes of autocannons and the like, which take care of skimmer armies pretty easily.

However - the good news is, if you're playing a lot of beardy Chaos players, beardy chaos players are very vulnerable to focused fire due to small squads spread about and single models that cost big time points. Mech tau excels at killing these boys squad by squad thanks to maneuverability.

As for your models - you've got a fantastic start for virtually any army you could want to make with Tau. Check out the sample army lists in the stickies
Old 30 Apr 2005, 20:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

thats a Great start My freind , Mechtau is good against anyone who doesnt simply take the 5 man las plas marine army, and even then the game is not over ;D.

to expand on that I'd go for a Kroot squad and a Pair of HH, that'll give you a nice rounded pool of models to select from.

a lone Broadside for the 3rd HS slot is fine and often very useful, ML on FW not so, youll never use it dismounting and mounting all the time.

for the crisis weapons, I prefer a TLMP,PR,HWMT 'El and TLMP,Flamer Crisis myself but in the conversion board there is a thread on magnets, a useful tool. (if you dont have 6 MP just make it TLMP'EL TLMP crisis and TLPR crisis, but I've never seen anywhere that TL has to be represented by 2 of the same weapon ......... its targeting arrays .......... yeah ..... :)

Trot on over to the AL forum and we'll help you out with a list
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 01 May 2005, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto.zoell
3 Crisis Suits, I am not sure which weapons configs I want so they are unarmed as of now.
8 Pathfinders in a Devilfish, how good are the railrifles? I wasn't sure so I just have normal guys.
6 Stealth Suits
Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto.zoell

I was thinking about adding another Fire Warrior squad, a Kroot squad, and 2 Hammerheads, but that is if I go Kinda Mech/Mech.
Is it a good idea to have only monat suits or should I get a few more?
Are markerlights on fire warriors good?
Lone broadside or no?

my last question: is Mech Tau is good against Chaos? Why?
More Fire Warriors are always good. More Kroot are exceptionally good and 2 hammerheads is OK, but its not 3 hammerheads which is much better!
Monat or squad suits? I go with monat suits, and with that, the only suit i take in a 1500 pointer is my fireknife shas'el. In 4th ed, they're not the game winners they were. THey're still useful mind. Critical strikes is what they do best- light a target squad with pathfinders, and rip them to shreds with the crisis suits, or stealthsuits. Its the best tactic to use them. Or the hide and seek approach.
Markerlights are very good on static FW teams. On devilfish teams, no, as you're moving and would not be able to shoot them.
no. take hammerheads instead.
Good against chaos? Obviously it depends on the list. Go up against lots of tank-hunting rocket launchers and autocannons, with h.bolters thrown in and you could be in trouble. Or throw in a glaive prince. even worse. But you do have a chance. they're still marines and you can still kill them! but they're not the easiest foe to face.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 01 May 2005, 19:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
More Fire Warriors are always good.
I find this to be a problem mentality, when #FW exeeds #Fishes we have a problem, and there is a finite limit to the # of FW teams you can fit in a 1000-1500 list without neglecting the rest of the list, usually two :P
go here
Old 01 May 2005, 19:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

well that must just be for a certain style surely? 72 fire warriors for 720 points must always be appealing at around 1500pts no? I know that neither i nor you do it...but that would make for a pretty scary list!

Old 01 May 2005, 20:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

72 Fire Warriors, is very similar to starring down the barrel of 24 Heavy Bolters in the Guardsmen army, for 720 points base.

Should we look at the guardsmen equivalent, which is the king of fielding hordes of weapons and the like with lots of warm bodies would need the following to achieve this with Troop selections:
  • [size=7pt]
    Troop I: 400 points.
    Infantry Platoon
    Command Squad: Heavy Bolter
    Infantry Squad: Heavy Bolter

Troop II: 400 points.
    Infantry Platoon

Troop III: 400 points.
    Infantry Platoon

Troop IV: 400 points.
    Infantry Platoon
    [/size]

1600 points to amass 24 heavy bolters to achieve 72 S5 shots at a very similar range with a Troop selection, compared to 72 Fire Warriors for 720 points. I'm sure a more competent Guard player could quickly give us another example, more condensed of achieving the maximum number of heavy bolters in the Troops selection than I can, but still, I doubt it will be for the humble price of 720 points.

And yes, I know heavy bolters and pulse rifles are not the same weapons - which is why I'm saying similar and not same.

So yes, it can be very appealing to some players.

However, I wouldn't recommend it really. It's fun, but not really "good." Just imagine firing all that (72 Firewarriors; or 1600 points of Guardsmen Heavy Bolters) at 7 Plague Marines, and only killing 6 of them > since we're on the topic of Chaos. This many troops is definitely not recommend against Chaos due to their power to evade those shots unfortunately and punishing the poor chaps in combat as they can move far faster than we can.
Old 01 May 2005, 20:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah, I really wouldnt be al that scared of 1200pts of heavy bolters, they dont glance tanks all that well :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
well that must just be for a certain style surely? 72 fire warriors for 720 points must always be appealing at around 1500pts no? I know that neither i nor you do it...but that would make for a pretty scary list!
Personally I'd rather have 100 Kroot and 12 FW for 820pts :P, much more lethal, but Troops are not the Troops of mechtau, troops are the Preserved VP
go here
Old 03 May 2005, 00:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have 60 firewarriors at the moment, and will be going for 72 . I have never ever seen or heard of anyone having the full amount used (this is called min-maxing yes?) and will be incredibly fun! Unfortunately, I have to try hard to get fishes and crisis and hh's in...but we'll see how that works out. Four fishes and 4 static...I know dizzy hates the static FW but I sure don't mind them .
Closed Thread