Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

where to start...
Closed Thread
Old 29 Apr 2005, 01:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default where to start...

Once again I ask that now, since I'm done my army, where do I go now? I was gonna try mega battles, but a lot of people said that was a bad way to start playing, so what is a good way to jump into the warhammer world?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 29 Apr 2005, 01:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: where to start...

Killa:

Do you have any gaming shops locally? Go there and ask what days are usually busy. Talk to some people to ask about setting up some casual games. Or if there's a local tournament coming up, join it. You don't have to play in GW sanctioned events to play the game. Just go where people are.... pretty straight forward. If you live in an area where there isn't much in terms of wargaming locations, well, that's a different story.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 02:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the games workshop I go to has a lot of mega-battlish type of events, so I might go to one of them just to make sure I have all of the rules straight, although I think I do as I have played a few battles with my friend & brother. and do people normally just randomly go up to people and ask them if they want to play a game of warhammer some time?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 29 Apr 2005, 02:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Killa:

You're perfectly welcome to. It would help to initiate the conversation more subtle though, to avoiding seeming like a goon from a cave. With your friends, you can walk up from no where and ask, "Want to have a game?" Otherwise, you'll need more Tact than that. For example, walk up and admire someone's models or painting. Inquire as to their experiences with their wargaming and 40k in general. State you play as well. Offer to play sometime later on in the conversation. Ask about others who play often. Explain you're new to the shop and are looking to get some games in. Most people will be happy to give you a game sometime.

Otherwise, look for a posting board there. Ask the store keeper about it if you can't find it. Leave a note that says you're looking to play some 40k and leave your name and number... someone is bound to call.

You'll do well to ask the people that run the store which days are best to show up on for busiest times, so that you can talk to as many people as possible and setup some games or at least get some contacts. In general, just inquire and find out a good assessment of how many or how often you'll be able to game with all of them

Good luck!
Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks for the advice! and also, do other people put post on the bulletin board about playing games some time?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Possibly - I've seen it in all the various gaming shops I've been to. It's just an announcement board, where you can find people looking for others to play various games. I see a lot of D&D players who put notes up for that... but you could try it for 40k, I'm sure people would see it--if not you may see a note there of someone else and you could give them a call.

Just get yourself and your miniatures into the shop and talk with other people with 40k armies. A game will result perhaps Don't forget your codices and rulebooks!
Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

another thing, if I entered a tournament would people get pissed off every time a screw up on a rule?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Probably yes. Unless they were mature enough to understand that you're relatively new to playing. But don't sweat it man. Just do your best, don't get mad if someone is impatient with you. Just keep on going If you mess up on a rule and you're corrected and it makes sense, just say thanks and keep rolling the dice. If it sounds ridiculous, well, just do what you think is right, or ask a judge. Usually, when this situation comes up, I just instate the K.I.S.S. rule (which basically means, keep it as simple as possible--if two people disagree on something, use the one that seems more simple).

Just try and have fun. If they're all huffing and sighing and just waiting for their turn, then they're not playing a game with people and they're probaby not worth playing with.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 12:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

also, whats the K.I.S.S. rule?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 29 Apr 2005, 18:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
K.I.S.S.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Things to do when picking up 40k

- Read the rulebook cover to cover at least 4 times.
- Play test by yourself, have your marnines beat on each other a bit so you can get use to the system of hitting, wounding and saving.
- Play friendly games, find somebody who understands that you are learning the game. Find somebody who will play with the goal to teach you, not blast you into the ground.

After a few friendly games like that you should feel a little better, you are now a "novice" player, you should have a 1000 pnt army and be able to fight other new players and begin your interglactic quest to destroy any and all forces that do not bow before your might.

(This just the whole of picking up the game, Im not sure how far into it your are but this is the full thing)
Closed Thread