Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau and Kroot relations
Old 14 Jun 2008, 19:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau and Kroot relations

I was reading the Tau Empire codex and it says that the Tau don't look for qualities in there allies that they lack e.g kroot are good in close combat, but they look for allies that believe in the greater good as the Tau do. So why do Tau work with kroot i mean they don't fight in the name of the greater good most are hired mercs i think.
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2008, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau and Kroot relations

It's better to work with them then against them.
I think some kroot do believe in the Greater good and that is why they work for the Tau (with think being the Key word).
The rest of the Kroot just think they are blue faced communists.
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2008, 23:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

not sure if its linked but in one of the codexes i tau writes a letter to his sister explaining how they are fascinated by the way and speed that kroot have evolved and worked and so i think they make an exception so that they could study the kroot and make them better

let me know if that's helps cos if its right i may use it myself ;D
exclusiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2008, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

This story explains how the Tau and Kroot became allies.

While the Tau generally try to accept aliens into the tau'va in manners that supplement Tau strengths, they also respect and exploit said aliens' natural skills which the Tau may lack.

For example, the Tau Commanders will generally try to use Kroot as a supplement for XV-15/25 and Pathfinder teams in infiltration and scouting roles, but it is not uncommon for a Tau Commander to recognize and utilize the Kroot's strength in close combat and deploy them in a manner that focuses on those advantages.

Commander Brightsword on Nimbosa, for example, deployed Kroot not only as a lure for the Kauyon, but in such a way promoted their vicious strength in close combat in the dense urban sprawl of Polia.

O'Kais, from the story in the 3e Tau Codex on pg. 3, also utilized Kroot as a supported assault force, giving them cover fire while they closed with the gue'la infantry and attacked them in hand-to-hand combat.

---

Regarding the Kroot's acceptance into the fold of the Greater Good - it varies from Kindred to Kindred.

Anghkor Prok swore an oath of fealty to the Tau Empire for their assistance against the Orks, and while many Kroot Shapers honor that debt by providing auxiliary kindreds to fight alongside the Shas, other Shapers believe that to limit themselves strictly to engagements within the Tau Empire would in turn limit the amount of genetic material filtered into the Kroot species as a whole - a very important aspect in Kroot culture.

So while the Kroot technically aren't "allowed" to have mercenary forces as per the terms of their original agreement many hundreds of years ago, the Tau leadership realizes that to stop all mercenary practices in their entirety would cause too much tension between the two species to foster good will and so blissfully ignore it.

That is, to say, as long as there aren't any Kroot mercenaries fighting against the Tau in the process...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2008, 13:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusiva
not sure if its linked but in one of the codexes i tau writes a letter to his sister explaining how they are fascinated by the way and speed that kroot have evolved and worked and so i think they make an exception so that they could study the kroot and make them better

let me know if that's helps cos if its right i may use it myself ;D
Yeah that story is right mate i rember it from the first Codex
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote