Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The amazing stealthsuit
Closed Thread
Old 28 Apr 2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The amazing stealthsuit

I just wanted to hear what everyone else has to say about this unit. In all of my games they have proven to be worthy, having a jump-pack as well as 3 shots apiece gives them the ability to be quite possibly one of the more useful (and annoying) units in the game. Add onto that the fact that they have constant "nightfight" and attack first when charged makes them one of my favorite units. I currently use two squads of 6 with crisis suits, making for quite a "jumpy" army.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The amazing stealthsuit

my fav unit for blasting troops away i use them all the time more then crisis suits

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally like crisis suits more, but stealthsuits really are awesome. Their save combined with the nightfighting thing is enough to keep the safe most of the time, and they are one of the most versatile units in the tau army, basically like a firewarrior squad that can get to places fast, shoot more shots then normal and pop in and out of cover.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stealth Suits are very good at taking out any kind of troops because of the number of shots they make plus the Jump Shoot Jump.

But remember they are not quite Space Marines, each time I send them up alone they die and only complete the mission 50% of the time.

BUT if you use them and have them backed up by something else in your army or incorporate them in to some more complex battle plan. They get the job done and usually come back alive!

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, I normally (if I had ever played with stealthsuits) would deep strike them near some terrain and keep poping out and shooting, and if the enemy goes on an all-out kill the stealthsuits craze, then their mission is accomplished, giving the rest of my army time to get in position and blast away, and if the enemy ignores them, then they harass their flanks and attack their targets/hold their position.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
Stealth Suits are very good at taking out any kind of troops because of the number of shots they make plus the Jump Shoot Jump.

But remember they are not quite Space Marines, each time I send them up alone they die and only complete the mission 50% of the time.

BUT if you use them and have them backed up by something else in your army or incorporate them in to some more complex battle plan. They get the job done and usually come back alive!

WT
if u play tau u have to use all your unit to help each other uniit by them self they would all die easy i never leave a sealth team by them selfs i have PF ML for them and some RR shot and or FW with DF for suport no one in my army will be by itself

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 28 Apr 2005, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

[size=12pt]By Inquisitorial Mandate! Field Report on the Stealth Suit; Report MLVX3983297.49[/size]
[size=7pt]Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Inquisitor, MalVeauX[/size]

The Stealth Suit is a true Elite in all the ideas of what it means to be an Elite choice in the realm of the 40k. They perform many functions, hit hard, move fast and give that certain "How'd he do that?" to the unit that should be there considering just how Elite stealth suit teams really are. So, we all love them, but what do they really do? How do we make them Elite and not just an elite selection?

Abilities, Equipment and Special Rules:

First of all, let's make sure we all know what the Stealth Suit has in terms of abilities and special rules and of course their tools of the trade. Stealth Suits are loaded with these, and each serve a very important part in how you use your XV15s in the game, especially against various opponents in the game.
  • Stealthsuit - The Suit itself provides a stat-line increase and armor save, but more important it gives them the Stealth ability which means that enemies that are firing at them, fire at them as if they were firing using Night Fight Rules. This makes our Stealth Suit much harder to fire upon from far away, but only easier once they are already at their target--where it's too late. This ability is further amplified in games that are already using actual Night Fight Rules, halving the values that are rolled when spotting them. Also, do to this, when assaulted they're treated as being in cover--so we strike at initiative 10 unless our opponent has frag grenades to counter balance this ability.
    • Note: Any gundrones or shield drones that are part of a Stealth Team benefit from this Stealth ability.
    • A special mention of Target Priority - Stealth Suit Teams never count towards Target Priority checks for other units. In other words, they do not hide Independent Characters and do not force Leadership tests to fire past them. They never hide another unit and may be ignored when choosing to fire at another target, further away.

Improved Sensors - Many players forget about these features on every single Battle Suit available to the Tau. Sensors may be used to detect ambushes which can be particularly useful when facing an opponent such as Tyranid who cleverly utilise Lictors which setup the game hidden--detecting the threat early may help you avoid being assaulted by such a threat later. So, as such, a single member may search via the rules found on page 20 of Codex Catachans instead of firing in the shooting phase and the other suits are still free to fire as normal.
    • Sensors are rarely used--however, on Stealthsuits they are particularly useful because of the range of the weaponry we may not be firing every single turn. If we're not firing, why not use our free ability to it's fullest when facing an opponent that you know takes units such as Lictors.

Tau Jet Pack - Due to our Jet Pack, we may make the famed Tau moves that allow us to move our six inches in the movement phase, fire in the shooting phase and then move again in the assault phase. This is particularly useful for the Stealth Teams due to their weapons and their nature in their suits allowing them to effectively dance around the enemy lines, peppering them with Burst Cannon fire while moving away continually to take best effect from their Night Fight Rules of not being spotted very easily. Afterall, when firing 18 inches and then moving away 6 inches in the assault phase, we're up to 24 inches away from our target which is too far for most units' basic weaponry to reach or assault.
    • One can use our abilities of the Stealth Team to gauge distances with our Infiltration ability, which is the effective distance of our weapon. if we deploy, just outside of that distance, we are relatively safe for the first turn. Then on our turn, we can move up or sit still and fire, and then move back again to our safe distance. From the start, our distance is given to us for an optimal setup of firing and fleeing to always keep ourselves in the 50/50 chance range of being spotted by general targets and even if spotted, not always in range for firing.

Deep Strike - Because our suit is a Battle Suit, we may deploy using the Deep Strike special rules. This isn't always a great idea compared to our other options, but it is still there for us. This could be useful for those pesky "hiding" units that your opponent may field behind cover or in a manner that denies you adequate line of sight, such as a barrage weapon or heavy weapons team. The good thing is that we may Deep Strike, fire and then sit for a turn and most of the opponent's weaponry will be too far away to be able to effectively respond to us due to the Night Fight spot checks. The unit we fired upon will be able to see them for sure and assault them as well, so choose your targets carefully in this manner and perhaps think about how much the scatter will dictate their success.
    • I'm definitely not a big fan of Deep Striking when it comes to my XV15's - but at least it's an option.

Infiltration - One of the Flag Ship abilities is to infiltrate. This has become very useful in 4th edition and used practically every game. This allows us to take objectives right away, which we are great at holding due to not being fired upon easily. We can also take quarters, or anything else very quickly. We can also respond to enemy infiltrators in this manner, such as some pesky Space Marine Scouts lodged in some rubble--we seem them better than they see us! Otherwise, we can infiltrate right near our target of choice with the distance we want to gauge by eye happily measured for us to determine infiltration distances. The ability matches the weapon in this case!

Burst Cannon - As we all know, the Burst Cannon is the weapon of choice here--in fact, it's the only weapon. Having a decent ranged, multi-shot weapon such as this that fires on the move is a blessing. Only a few models are taken, yet their output is so much. Their weapon is coupled with an average Ballistic Skill of 3, so the more Stealths we have, the more volume we will output and it is important to maintain that volume.
    • This weapon is fantastic, but not overly useful in short supply. Knowing that, a squad of 3 Stealth Suits aren't going to be the most effective unit with very few hitting and wounding shots each turn for their price.

Markerlight - The markerlight is available to everyone, however, it can be used on Stealth Teams. In this manner, we have a 36 inch shot that may be fired from a unit that cannot be seen from that distance making a "safe" markerlight option. This is very expensive and requires the unit to be stationary each turn (though they may make their assault move afterwards of course) and it's only for a single chance to markerlight. It's not the best option for an XV15 team, but it is an option.

[hr]

So it's good to know what we have to our disposal, but what can we do with all this? Is it worth while against all opponents? Well, it all has it's place and every player is different, but I think Stealts can be used pretty effectively against every race--making them a popular choice for Tau as you cannot go wrong with them.

Practical Usage:
  • Chaos Space Marines - We have many uses against this foe, as our weapon can destroy all of their infantry and even their transports (except a Land Raider of course). Daemonic units generally have only an invulnerable save, which is quite low, and they are quite expensive, making them a very juicy target once summoned to the board for a Stealth Team. Stealths can also react to static lines of Havocs or stationary Chaos Marine units with heavy weapons. The volume fire of the Stealthsuits can be too much for small minimized/maximized squads of Marines, in which case, you can take them from the board bit by bit. Beware the combat phase though as Chaos is a king in combat and then we are lost.

Daemonhunters - The Ordo Malleus would not be pleased to hear, but XV15's make a mockery of Grey Knights and any subordinate unit that they take. Grey Knights have a similar function as Stealths in terms of the Night Fight rules, but the Stealth Suits will completely envelope these expensive unsung heroes due to their expensive and small squad sizes and we may dance around them, due to the lack of transports on their part and have a good chance to avoid return fire. Stealt Suits rip through Inquisitorial retinues as well as Storm Troopers and inducted Imperial Guard against this foe.

Dark Eldar - Dark Eldar are dangerous due to their speed. However, the XV15 can destroy their vehicles easily as well as plow through their squads, able to destroy everything in the army short of a Talos. However, should we be too close, a squad may be able to use drugs and fleet of foot to capture us into an assault so mind your dinstances and your targets when using XV15s in this fight--go for the small squads first as you can saturate them off the board and avoid that resulting assault in the first place, or at least entangle the contents of their transports.

Eldar - Eldar have Spyders and we have Stealths; the arguably better. Our weapons are of course wonderful against Eldar but the main focus is the ability to destroy their battery weapons and vehicles and walkers relatively easily due to volume. Infiltrating Stealth Suits can quickly and easily put a stop to a unit of Dark Reapers or a D-Cannon team hiding in some terrain due to their poor toughness, armor saves and small squad sizes. We can also take full advantage of some side and rear armor as well as War Walkers. In a pinch, we can even attempt to wound a Wraithlord, but it's not a good chance of it.

Imperial Guard - Burstcannons are like flamers against the Guard. There is nothing short of a tank that the XV15's cannot rip through. Best yet, they're not fast unless mounted in a vehicle and are not as accurate or well versed at shooting enough as a marine to return fire with devistating results. However, beware if they do spot the XV15's they will have adequate volume, if not strength, to remove them from the board as well - strength in numbers!

Necrons - This is a hard choice, but it can be useful simply due to avoiding some of the heavier shooting attacks from Immortals and Destroyers while being able to dance around the slow moving Warriors or Flayed Ones. Any unit is vulnerable to the Necrons, but any chance to avoid being shot is always a welcome one.

Orks - Again, our Stealth Teams are like flamers are to orks. We can dance and move faster than they can, and we totally eat their squads. Combat of course is a bad place to be, but at least we can utterly destroy almost all of their vehicles, units and walkers with little to no resistance to our weapons. If you heave Stealths, the more the merrier in this fight.

Space Marines - A full squad of XV15's has the same chance of killing just as many marines as a squad of Crisis Suits with a FireKnife configuration. That being said, we're safer and infiltrate and have a small chance in the first round of combat pushing the XV15 to be a very good choice against Marines. The more XV15's that focus on a marine squad, the faster they disappear. Also, we can break their transports and some of their battery weapons making them a great choice all around for most of their army.

Tau - It only makes sense to deny the shooting phase to an army that only Shoots, right? Well of course! XV15's are great against enemy factions of Tau (fallen to the taint of Slaneesh no doubt!) with the ability to show up and destroy enemy suits, troops, skimmers, what have you. Countering a counter move is also interesting should you have a Stealth on Stealth battle!

Tyranids - Some say to leave the Stealth Suits at home against Tyranid due to the long reach of their combat abilities. However, their odds of assaulting your XV15s are not as high as some may think. As long as you are gauging your distance well, the Tyranid should never be able to effectively achieve a perfect 24 inch range assault intact. Hoping over Terrain slows them greatly (assault phase wise) so when taking on the pack, lead them over the water so to speak. Also, it's a great way to quickly take care of those Biovores that plague your Fire Warriors the whole game! Also, always remember to have your Stealth Suits supporting or supported by another unit in this fight--you never want to focus your volume alone here.

Witch Hunters - Much like the Ordo Malleus, the Ordo Hereticus would be very upset to face the XV15. Stealth teams rip through their units with ease due to the lack of range in the army overall. We can dance and harass and take advantage of the low toughness in the army in general. However, beware of those Seraphim and Assassins who will capture your suits and make a mess of them!

[hr]

I think it is safe to say that Stealth Suits are one of the most useful units in our army list and they embody that Elite slot on our Force Organization Chart very well. They're a great unit against all our opponents (and even those not listed here) and have a good survivability. They're quite simply "Good." What a great way to represent the Greater Good in fact!

So go forth and field your Stealth Teams with pride!
[size=12pt]They're truly Tau![/size]

For the Greater Good!

[size=7pt]End Transmission[/size]

Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think they are useful vs every army, through either suitability or number of shots.

And if you waste a squads turn firing then so much the better

I prefer them to the expensive Crisis and I'm thinking of 2 Stealth units with a FK Crisis team for the AP2 and MP's to pop vehicles. Or I may to 2 'Els and 3 Stealth but I will have to see though.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Mals insane posts probably have the gist of it again, but for my 0.2c they're the best Elites choice we have IMO.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Ok, I don't even need to quote my post or two from those threads on stealth suits from ages ago..

All I can say is..

What Mal said

Stealthsuits rock! I only have a squad of 5, so I add two gun drones to boost the firepower! and they get the stealth benefit for free (again, as Mal said) :P