Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Noobish questions... opponents are confusing me...
Closed Thread
Old 27 Apr 2005, 23:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Noobish questions... opponents are confusing me...

I just played some guys with my Tau army. The rulebook says that skimmers (Hhead) and jump packers(CS) can ignore terrain. Im SURE that my Crisis' can ignore terrain but some people have been saying you cant for skimmer tanks like the Head. Also, one person said that Crisis' can move 6 inches, another said 12, and another said 18 (which im sure is wrong. where in the world did he get 18?) I dont have the 4th edition rulebook only the 3rd so im wondering whos right for which rules. Thanks alot... ive been having a lot of problems with cheaters lately.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 00:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Noobish questions... opponents are confusing me...

All crisis suits may move 6" in the movement phase, ignoring terrain, although if you do decide to LAND in terrain you must make a roll to determine if one of your suits take a wound (roll a D6 per suit and on a "1" that suit takes one wound). Hammerhead may also move over or "float' over terrain, but this means (obviously) that your landing gear is not activated and anything may shoot at your tank, basically you cannot hide behind terrain. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong I don't play much, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 00:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mike:

You should choose which set of rules to play by really. Anyhow, I'll give you the 4th edition version of it:

Your skimmers may move, and ignore terrain. However, should you end a move over difficult terrain or impassible terrain you will have to declare it--if you do this, your enemies will be free to fire at it as if they had total line of sight (still subject to skimmer rules, meaning glance only if you were moving fast). If you end your move behind terrain however, not over difficult or impassible terrain, then you may deny line of sight or remain obscured (hull down) for a glance-only damage charge. Also an important mention is that Skimmers do not block line of sight to units, but you can still block line of sight to a skimmer.

This thread on Tau Skimmer Questions and Line of Sight will be of some help I think with sources.

Models with a jump pack, or in our case the Tau Jet Pack, can ignore terrain when using their jump packs, but ending this move in difficult terrain or impassible terrain is a large no-no as you may simply lose the model (they'll crash easier this way). Don't forget that in a sticky situation you may choose to move as normal infantry and "walk" into difficult terrain to avoid this. Models with the Tau Jet Pack may -only- move 6 inches in the movement phase, and then in the assault phase, they may make a special move that is not an assault move--it is treated as a normal move of 6 inches again. In total, a Tau Jet Pack using model may only move a total of 12 inches in a given turn in terms of moving and the movement in the assault phase.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mmm..beat you by a few seconds to that info mal . Anyways never forget the usefulness of having jump-packs, they greatly increase the lifespan of your crisis and can make them a stable and trusty firing platform.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks really helps alot ;D ;D
Old 28 Apr 2005, 02:07   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

If your friends are using jump packs, make sure they understand the difference. Space Marines Assault squads, for example, can move 12" in the movement phase and then charge 6". The trick is that that last 6" may not ignore terrain. Tau only get to move 6" in the movement phase, as was already mentioned, but we also get to ignore terrain in the assault phase (unless we are actually charging something).
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Tau have Jet Packs, Other units like Assualt Marines have Jump Packs.

It might help to refer to the jetpack section of the Tau Codex, as well as the FAQs (the first few links in that post)
Old 28 Apr 2005, 13:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So that means my Crisis' can move 6'' during movement, shoot during the shooting phase and then move back another 6'' during assault? Thats great! This makes it a lot easier for me! Thanks.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3n4m31zm1k3
So that means my Crisis' can move 6'' during movement, shoot during the shooting phase and then move back another 6'' during assault? Thats great! This makes it a lot easier for me! Thanks.
That is correct. Use it well.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also, the rules only say that Skimmers can ignore terrain and hover over it, but it doesn't say you must. The implication is that you can choose which at the time, but if you decide not to hover, becomeing immobilized will mean that you crash, unless you move less than 6".
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Closed Thread