Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

railgun?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default railgun?

when facing a sqaud of Terminators is it better to use submunition or soild shot ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: railgun?

Tough call, but id probably go with the solid shot.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I am not wrong the Terminators will be able to use their 2+ save with the submunition. You will probably get 3 units under the plate and they will most likely survive. I say vaporize them one at a time with your STR10 AP1 solid shot.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The railgun is not the best choice for killing terminators and should pick a different target unless A) the termies are an immediate major threat and/or B) the railgun has nothing else to shoot at.

As for solid shot or submu, it depends on how many termies the pie-plate will hit. Statistically you need to hit about 7 in order to kill 1. Submunition shots thus work best when the terminators have teleported in and are in that nice, tightly packed ring. I usually would opt for the pie-plate submu in situation B) because there you may as well take the risk and perhaps on a lucky shot kill a couple (I've done it before). In situation A) you need to consider the benefits of killing 1 (which probably won't force a morale check) vs. the possibility of killing a couple or none... However, as I mentioned first, there are better choices for hunting terminators, with plasma and fusion guns being the top choice.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
The railgun is not the best choice for killing terminators and should pick a different target unless A) the termies are an immediate major threat and/or B) the railgun has nothing else to shoot at.

As for solid shot or submu, it depends on how many termies the pie-plate will hit. Statistically you need to hit about 7 in order to kill 1. Submunition shots thus work best when the terminators have teleported in and are in that nice, tightly packed ring. I usually would opt for the pie-plate submu in situation B) because there you may as well take the risk and perhaps on a lucky shot kill a couple (I've done it before). In situation A) you need to consider the benefits of killing 1 (which probably won't force a morale check) vs. the possibility of killing a couple or none... However, as I mentioned first, there are better choices for hunting terminators, with plasma and fusion guns being the top choice.

that what i mean like after all his tank are blown to bit and all that is left is terminators what else could i use to take these big boys out

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Apr 2005, 10:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranktheTank
that what i mean like after all his tank are blown to bit and all that is left is terminators what else could i use to take these big boys out
Railguns generally, as stated, shouldn't be firing at a Terminator squad (unless it's a pack of 3 railgun carrying XV-88's with no armor to plow).

If you want to force a single 5+ invulnerable save, which will ignore your damage 2 out of 6 times on a dice, then use the Solidshot.
If you want to force several models to roll a 2+ save, which will possibly kill nothing, but possibly get a streek of 1's with some rotten luck, then use the Submunition.

In general, the submunition is going to be your better friend against rolling dice.

Anyhow - for more information, we recently had a thread dedicated with lots of good information on How to Kill Terminators.

Good luck!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 10:49   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah, dice rolling wins the game.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Truth be told (in my opinion) you shouldnt be using a HH while facing SM. what you should do is take 1-3 broadsides to make up your heavy suppurt and equip them with the plasmas (again this is just my opinion but feel free to complain though im open to suggestions). If you really do want a unit for killing termies then the crisis team is your best bet just equip them with the plasmas and jsut peirce through their armor ;D. To answer your question solid shot

Caboose: MY NAME IS MICHAEL J. CABOOSE... AND I HATE BABIES!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Here's a rule of thumb when it comes to HH:

Primary Shooting: Vehicles (Soild Shot)
Secondary Shooting: Infantry (Submuntion Shot)

When using the HH to shoot at any model with infantry statistics (no armour) always use the submuntion...sure the soild shot is almost garanteed to kill a Termie when it hits, but I'd rather put a pie plate on the squad to threaten more than one model. As Mal said, this has the possibility of not killing any Termies, but they get their nice 5+ invulnerable save from their armor as well, saving a model from the solid shot aswelll

In closing, I always shoot infantry models with the Submunition shot, for it is always better to hit more models than to try to kill one... ^-^
Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The chances of rolling a single 1 and killing a Termy with a Sub are obviously 1/6, 2 is a lot higher, but 3 is nigh on impossible.

So statistics say (Which are on the internet somewhere) that the Solid shot is better. And besides, they are very small very tough elite units, exactly what the Railgun is for. How often are you going to face a squad thats larger than 4-5 models anyway?

Use 2 HH Solid shots to probably kill 2 Termys (If your lucky) in one turn. Use 2 Subs to possibly kill 3,4 or even 5. But it would have to be a cold day in hell IMO

By the way, I'm not one for statistics and number crunching, but the odds of getting 2 ones were quite high, the odds of getting 3 were just huge. And my logic would tell me to sue a Solid shot, but thats where everyone is different.