Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is the battleforce box set the best place to start?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Apr 2005, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is the battleforce box set the best place to start?

As stated above I was wondering if the battleforce box set is the best place to start my Tau army?

I was also wondering what it contains.

Edit by RJay: Double post sorted using modify button, hint...O and also welcome lolisloth, enjoy your time here...
Old 27 Apr 2005, 03:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Re: Is the battleforce box set the best place to start?

Well, If you are planning to play the Tau army, then yes, it definatly is the best way to start. As for what it contains:

12 Fire Warriors
12 Kroot
3 Crisis Suits
10 Gun Drones
4 Jungle terrain Peices (for fun)

for $90 thats $120 worth of stuff, (20 per crisis, 30 for each troop selection). Plus some free drones, always nice.

Good to start!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 03:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Lolisloth:

Welcome to the board, be sure to visit the Introduce Yourself board and let us know there who you are.

As it is - looks like you're starting Tau up. That's good! The battleforce box is indeed a nice start for Tau. It gives you some good basics to begin with.

You get:
  • 3 Crisis Suits
    12 Fire Warriors
    12 Kroot Carnivores
    10 Gun Drones

I trust you already picked up a codex? If not, definitely pick one up and read up on her before purchasing the models. You may find yourself liking something particular. And if you're not a big fan of Kroot for example, you may not want the battle force as a beginning.

You could say it is one of the best places to start, when building up models, but the absolute best way is to simply buy the models you will enjoy the most and play with the most. However, that comes with experience.

So if you have any questions - you've come to right place. But sure to check out all the stickied topics too here. You can find sample lists for static, hybrid and mechanized Tau armies around here to give you an idea of what they look like and compare that to what you get from your battleforce in terms of where to go next if you want to buy more.

Compat Patrol is another format to consider while learning to use your Tau, so check that out in the 4th edition rulebook as well if you're not already familiar with it.

Anyhow - it's as good a start as any, and we can all go from there!

Cheers!

Edit:

Also mate, in the future, try and avoid double posting as a simple "edit" or "modify" of your other post saves time and space Just some friendly advice.

(F.Beef beat me to the post!)
Old 27 Apr 2005, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

Welcome to TO Lolisloth !

I bought a battle set myself to get started. It's a great buy for the units you get. Like Mael, I strongly suggest having a good read through the Tau Codex.

Highly suggest you read through the entries on Tau Tactica as well. You might find a unit of 8 drones quite a good way to field a fast attk entry or that a full 20 squad of kroot mercs is good to keep some cc ability in your army. Your choice of play will determine the army you collect.

BTW, we are NOT Space marines. We are Tau. ;D

We have great guns (bring as many as you can), we have great tanks (use them) and we have great technology (field them)

We do not have great armour saves (we have average saves) , ballistic skill (we have average BS) or close combat skills (we suk).

Also, a great place to get started is by watching a few Tau players over at your local Gaming Club.

Enjoy the Forums !!!

O0 O0

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 27 Apr 2005, 05:34   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I posted an analysis of the different sets available for us, and the Army Box gives you a much better value than any of the individual kits. Because it is also a decently balanced force to start with, I highly recommend it.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 05:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Welcome to the forums

the battlebox is a great plaace to start, for a starter force I'd suggest the battlebox a Fish and a Hammerhead, nice and mobile and very effective turns into

Railhead
-Decoys
-Multitracker
-Smart Missiles
-Target Lock
180pts

12Firewarriors
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-Decoys
-Multitracker
-Targeting Array
225pts

12 Kroot
84pts

8 gundrones
96pts

Crisis Monat
-Twin linked Missiles
-Flamer
57pts

Crisis Monat
-Twin linked Missiles
-Flamer
57pts

Shas'El
-Twin linked Plasma
-Missile
-Hard wired multitracker
98pts

802 pts

a nice starting value that you can add another HH when you get more comfortable with the list and start playing 1000pts.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Apr 2005, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll agree with everyone else - the BF box is a good bargain. About the only thing in there that's of questionable value are gun drones (which I like but which are over-priced IMO) but even those can come in handy, if only for the modeling/conversion possibilities. It's contents are a lot better than some of the other armies out there where you get lots of junk most people won't end up using.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 08:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

BF is good

see this thread > Want to start a Tau army?
Old 27 Apr 2005, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Battleforces are always good...at a time when gw have put up their prices again the battleforces stay firm. Furthermore the tau one gives much more choice in different units than any other race's BF! Enjoy, paint them all up and play! Hope to see you around,

your friendly tau moderator
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The battle force box is always good to start from, giving the reasons that are around here...oh and dizzy, the box set only comes with 3 MP, so it is only possible to TL one of them... :P
Closed Thread