Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to deal with Chaos Space Marine?
Old 27 May 2008, 14:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How to deal with Chaos Space Marine?

I just played an Apocalypse battle and My unit got slaughter by Chaos. Any tips or suggestion?
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 16:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How to deal with Chaos Space Marine?

If you want to be nasty, take 3 Sniper Teams.

With 9 Str 6 AP 3 pinning shots a turn you're bound to kill lots of units.
The other 2 slots could be filled with Ionheads to make for 15 AP3 shots.
Then if you want to go crazy, field 30 Vespid, for 45 AP3 shots.
Finally take Crisis Suits with plasma rifles and fusion blasters, for about 2 AP1/2 shots per suit. This will make short work of those nasty meqs.*

*A specific anti-meq list like this may become subject to cries of cheese and powergaming. Cyven Inc. holds no responsibility for any dreadsocking that may occur.
Old 27 May 2008, 16:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've seen a few Tau v.s chaos games in my time, and the Ion head seems to be the most effective weapon against the marines. Take the upgrade to give your hammerhead BS4 and the marines will fall in droves.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I nearly allways play marines and I find plasma weaponry to be the best offense against them.
Mabye you could teel us what model you have and what models your opponent uses.
More detail on the battle would also be helpful.
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
I've seen a few Tau v.s chaos games in my time, and the Ion head seems to be the most effective weapon against the marines. Take the upgrade to give your hammerhead BS4 and the marines will fall in droves.
Not to be nit picky but you don't have a chose in taking the upgrade. The stat line of the basic hammerhead has the upgrade automatically accounted for in the cost.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 19:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd take Broadsides to deal with Obliderators. It will avoid lots of headaches for you if you take these out in the first couple turns of the game. Though, for Apocalypse you are trying to go first and as such will deploy first. So a smart CSM player would keep his Oblits where there isn't a lot of Tau weaponry that can quickly take them out.
Old 27 May 2008, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, well see I'm not a Tau player so I assumed that the increased BS was an upgrade that didn't have to be purchased.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

The Tau can lay down a lot of relatively high strength fire power so the best way to deal with any high toughness high save units like marines (particularly plague marines with the mark of nurgle) is to shoot them A LOT! If you can focus fire on a unit and cause an ridiculous amount of wounds then odds are you're going to cause some casualties. I mean, they've got to fail some of those saves! Fire Warriors and Stealth suits are the best options if you choose to pursue this path. Also, they REALLY work well if you've got a squad of pathfinders with markerlights marking the target. Hitting on 2's with strength 5 shots will help you inflict the maximum number of wounds possible.

On the other hand, using high AP weapons are another great way to deal with them. Plasma Rifles, Fusion blasters, Ion Cannons and Neutron guns are all high strength AP 1 2 or 3 weapons that can deal with marines pretty easily. The problems with these weapons are as follows however.

1) Plasma Rifles: You can never get enough of them. They're expensive and they're only available on Crisis battlesuits. Also, when you get into rapid fire range that can leave you dangerously close to being assaulted. Just something to watch out for.

2) Fusion Blasters: Not the best option, but it's got it's strengths and weaknesses. It's strength 8 so it will instant death most chaos marine units. It's also got a high AP so there are no armor saves against it like the plasma rifle. it's also cheaper than the plasma rifle. but it only gets 1 shot and odds are that if you dont kill whatever you're shooting at you'll get assaulted the following turn.

3) Ion Cannons: It's a tough choice. They're great for killing marines but they also take up a slot that a railgun could be using. It's a tough call. If they've got a lot of armor it could backfire especially if you dont have another rail gun on the board and they bring a land raider.

4) Neutron Blasters: they're decent AP3 but they take up a fast attack slot that you could use for something more usefull and they also are only available on Vespid Warriors. I dont know how you feel about Vespid but I think they're pretty damn useless.

There's all sorts of other stuff that you can do but it depends on your enemies list. But I hope this stuff helps.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote