Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: 5th edition Tau vehicles
Old 27 May 2008, 14:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tactica: 5th edition Tau vehicles

Disclaimer: 5th edition is not quite released yet, but rumors of the changes have been consistent enough that I'm willing to assume they are generally correct. This article is an attempt to at least get people thinking about how to adapt current vehicle tactics, particularly wargear options, for the next edition.

Major changes to vehicles:
  • Fast Moving Skimmers are no longer immune to penetrating hits.
  • Vehicles get cover saves. They can get it from actual cover, being a fast moving skimmer, or wargear like a disruption pod.
  • Strength 5 weapons, like burst cannons and smart missiles, now count as primary rather than defensive weapons.
  • There is only one vehicle damage chart now, with modifiers for glancing hit, AP1, and AP -.

What this comes down to is that we can no longer have hammerheads and warfish skimming around at their full movement rate, firing all their weapons, and not taking any penetrating hits. We will have to choose between mobility and firepower like most other units on the table.

Regarding the first two points, Skimmers Moving Fast and the Disruption Pod now give the same benefit, a 5+ cover save against any hits. Moving fast is no longer the best or only way to keep your skimmers alive. What does this mean for the vehicle upgrades? Depends. The multi-tracker is still quite useful, since without it a vehicle can't fire anything if it moves beyond 6 inches. The decoy launchers, currently a must-have, will be less useful because not all of the hits you take will be glancing. The disruption pod, I expect, will become much more common, because it's now as effective as a fast moving skimmer without reducing the vehicle's firepower. Sensor Spines might come back into use (I have never used them) since vehicles can now take better advantage of cover and terrain. The targetting array, target lock, flechette dischargers, blacksun filter, and seeker missiles should work exactly as they did before.

Specific vehicle builds for 5th edition:

Hammerhead: burst cannons, multi-tracker, disruption pod.
Since burst cannons are no longer secondary weapons, the tank can only fire 1 weapon (most likely the ion cannon or railgun) if it moves beyond 6 inches. You will have the choice of moving under 6 inches and firing all weapons, or moving at full speed (to contest an objective, most likely) and firing one weapon. The disruption pod will give it the 5+ cover save as long as it's far enough way, or the motion will provide the cover save at short range but at the expense of firing more than one weapon.

Warfish: smart missiles, multi-tracker, disruption pod
This one doesn't change that much from 4th edition. Survivability is less overall because skimmers are easier to kill, but you don't have to move over 6 inches to stay alive. Until one of the weapons gets blown off, you have the choice of moving fast and firing the smart missiles or moving slower and firing the burst cannon too.

Devilfish: multi-tracker, decoy launchers
This one gets full firepower at full speed since it only has one weapon system, since drones are still counted as passengers as far as I know. Decoy launchers are added because a fast-moving skimmer still crashes if immobilized and this one will have to keep moving to get the cover save.

Devilfish: just decoy launchers
This one will work the same as it did before. Keep moving for the survivability and let the gun drones do all the shooting. Not an optimal configuration, in my opinion, but this is about the only one that doesn't get slightly more expensive.

Skyray: smart missiles, multi-tracker
This one actually changes the least. Since the markerlights are considered defensive weapons and seeker missiles count as fired from the unit that uses the markerlight counter, the smart missile system is the only primary weapon. With a multi-tracker it can move up to 12 inches and still fire everything.

For your effort, here's a cookie. 1+ Karma - C_V
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tactica: 5th edition Tau vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
The disruption pod will give it the 5+ cover save as long as it's far enough way, or the motion will provide the cover save at short range but at the expense of firing more than one weapon.
I thought it was 4+.....?

A nice article knightsperson, I think disruption pods are a must for 5e.

I'm a bit sad you did'nt mention pirahnas. :'(
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 19:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja'
Quote:
The disruption pod will give it the 5+ cover save as long as it's far enough way, or the motion will provide the cover save at short range but at the expense of firing more than one weapon.
It is 4+, one of the staff at my local GW who has seen the rules told me
Old 27 May 2008, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

What is this I've heard about transports no longer being dedicated? Is that true? If so then full pathfinder squads will become even better then they already are.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If disruption pods will provide a 4+ cover save somehow then I'll take back every negative I've had to say about Tau in 5th Ed. 4+ cover saves on all Tau Skimmers? Those things will be indespensible. Well probably not every negative thing, but I will take back all the things I said about their vehicles.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor

Quote:
This one actually changes the least. Since the markerlights are considered defensive weapons and seeker missiles count as fired from the unit that uses the markerlight counter, the smart missile system is the only primary weapon. With a multi-tracker it can move up to 12 inches and still fire everything.
This wouldn't be true though, would it, if the missiles were fired from the Sky Ray using it's own Networked Markerlights? Then you wouldn't be permitted to fire the SMS.
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 17:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O K'Vor
Quote:
This wouldn't be true though, would it, if the missiles were fired from the Sky Ray using it's own Networked Markerlights? Then you wouldn't be permitted to fire the SMS.
You could be right (hope not Shas'P K'Vor), if so it would make the Sky Ray a little more common if it was....
Old 28 May 2008, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O K'Vor
Quote:
Markerlights are defensive weapons, therefore skyrays could fire all their weapons, making them the only tau tank to move and be able to fire with everything,

When you fire seeker missiles they don't count as the tank actually firing them so they don't count as a main weapon
Old 29 May 2008, 05:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja'
Quote:

A nice article knightsperson, I think disruption pods are a must for 5e.

I'm a bit sad you did'nt mention pirahnas. :'(
I reread my copy of the leaked rulebook, and it still says 5+. If somebody has seen a more recent revision of the book (like the finished one), I'll obviously defer to that. Final judgment, of course, will have to wait until real copies appear.

I did forget to mention piranhas, which I guess is understandable since I don't like them. A piranha will work exactly like the "Devilfish: multitracker, decoy launchers" entry, except for the fact that they can move at "flat out" speed (18 inches) and not fire at all.

Hey, since it's no longer possible for our vehicles to all move 12 inches and fire everything, I think it's going to be harder to keep in my head how fast each one was moving. I often run 5 devilfish chassis, and I won't be able to assume in 5th edition that the ones that don't have a stunned crew moved at cruising speed. Does anybody make "speed counters" for 40k vehicles? Would that be worth bodging together as a .PDF or something?

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 12:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think the whole Strength 5 defensive weapons thing is there so we only really use these weapons defensively. Take a look at the FoF in 4th ed, On a Warfish we're using two 'Defensive' weapons in a purely offensive way. What do you guys think?