Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deadnight's take on 5th ed. Lads, we might have something here...
Old 26 May 2008, 19:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Deadnight's take on 5th ed. Lads, we might have something here...

Introduction:
Now, up until now, we have been all doom and gloom about the new edition of 40k. the tau as we know them are gone, dead. They’re a “ruined army” to a lot of people. 4th ed tau cannot be played with the 5th ed system. We’ve lost out so much on JSJ, vehicle firepower, close combat and myriad other ways. I dunno though… I’m thinking I can see a new way forward. The way is to change our approach altogether.

4th edition mech tau was all about aggression. It was all about SMS, JSJ and FoF. It was about charging forward, guns blazing and shoving the mailed fists of our hammerheads down their throats. That’s gone now. In its place, we will play Tau like tau. But we need a cool name first...

Defense and Disruption. The new hallmarks of tau gaming.

Now, I am a wargamer. I see loopholes and ways to use the rules to my advantage, however that may be. I play to win. So to win in this edition, I need to change my style. 4th doesnt work. So its pointless sticking with it...

Change… the wise adapt.

Lets put it into practise. This treatise is our template. There is more we can add to it, subtract from it and change it. But we need to start somewhere. And build from that. I’ll do a brief run through of our own units, then do a brief tactica on how to work our new toys together. Then there are sample lists.

The good and the bad: how our units are affected:

Etherials:
Rubbish models. Rubbsih rules that wer ebad in 4th, but now LOS rules cripple them. leave the priest-things at home...

Commanders:
Commander’s have lost their IC status. Shame really… no more hiding in plain sight. It was a neat trick, but its gone now, so how can we adapt. I see two ways to use suits and I’ll go through that later, but our commanders give us a few options by way of their wargear. Specifically the positional relay system. The fact we can voluntarily put things into reserve, and pull them on the board on a 2+ is well worth abusing.
Secondly, he gives us bodyguards. Up till now, there was no point in taking them. But now, I can see the value in a 3 man fireknife team running around with bs4 courtesy of t.arrays and hard wired equipment. Pricey, but it will work. And we’ll need our elite slots…

Stealths:
…For these guys!!!
I feel stealths have really gotten a boost in this edition. Simple reason being the new infiltration rules. I can put them onto my opponents deployment zone, and hopefully wreak some havoc. Give ‘em some fusions and they’ll make any tank commander nervous. Plus, knowing they will come on will affect the other guy’s deployment.

Regular Suits:
Suits will still be necessary. They’re our special weapon platforms after all. I can see suits going one of two ways. Now, we’ve lost JSJing from out behind area terrain, but in fairness, hiding behind cover was always limiting the suits themselves from the ability to go elsewhere. Now, with skimmers blocking LOS we have two options. Hold your long range tanks at the back of your deployment zone and have some deathrain suits hugging their back sides. Move the tank 12”, and the suit 6”. Shoot, and scoot the suit behind his mobile bunker.
The other option is to do something like this, except with more assault weapons (plasma, flamer, burst cannons) rely on the new wound allocation system, and run up behind some aggressively driven skimmers. Get in close, kill stuff, and let the fire warriors hold the objective.
Obviously, drones are gone with the new targeting rules. Missile pods, fusions and plasmas are now, as they were, vital. But I can see a use for close range assault suits with flamers (anything hit by a template is wounded atomatically!!) and burst cannons (target allocation rules…)

Fire Warriors:
Fire Warriors are as they were. Except now they have no LOS restrictions. It might prove a boon, especially against horde armies. Factor in markerlights on top of 50 odd fire warriors and you have lots of dead orks. True, they are still vunerable, but with no more consolidation from winning an assault annoy more, sweeping up a flank without me being able to do anything about it is now a thing of the past. Clever movement should level the offending nits who attempt this.
They’re vital these days, as they are one whole have of our scoring units…

Kroot:
When I first saw the rules I thought “kroot are screwed”. And in a way they are. But there IS a silver lining. OK, we cant use our kroot as a speed bump. We cant hide them in cover and rely on them striking simultaneously to bring down some foes, and pepper them from long range. That’s gone. But in its place we get other stuff.
We have a 3+ cover save. I prefer not being seen in the first place, but it sure makes ‘em tougher to move!
New morale rules mean they’re not -1ld at below 50% strength.
Infiltration rules. I can picture my kroot sneaking into the other guys deployment zone and wreaking havoc. Look, I wont go into it here, we all know what kroot can do…
And here’s a corker for you. Kroot can abuse the new assault grenade rules. ? So, you use assault grenades, you strike at initiative. Seems rough for kroot, who at i3 strike after the other guy (average I is 4..) Not so. Factor in the new assault rules whereby if you’re assaulted you get to make a straight 6” move to get all your bodies into the combat. With kroot, that’s a lot of bodies. And think of our initiative-5 cc upgrade.… Kroot hounds. Dirt cheap. It’s a nice little trick that when the other guy assaults you in cover, you get to whack him around the head first with a load of attacks. It might be enough to stop a de facto “charge tau” tactic against us. Plus kroot still have that flexibility that fire warriors just seem to lack.

Pathfinders:
Pathfinders have not become better, but they have become necessary. Markerlights. In this edition,they’re gonna be keys to a whole load of tau strategies. I’llgo into them later, but I see a big role for them.
And as a boon, they get a non dedicated transport. Just give it to the fire warriors from the get-go and leave the pathfinders lighting stuff up…

Drones:
Drones might prove useful. They’re 50pts for a squad roughly. I can see how they could be used to abuse the reserve rules. Put the whole tau army in reserve, as my edition of the 5th ed rules says is possible, pull these guys on for turn one and two, sacrifice ‘em, and then pull the whole army on turn three in a coup de grace. Might be possible. Might be fun. Drone screens might be useful as well to other units though im not fond of the idea to buy 100pts of a unit to give another unit a 4+ cover save…

Vespids:
Wha? never liked them last edition, and i still dont.

Hammerheads:
I don’t think I’ll be taking my hammerheads in this edition. They can contest, but cannot score. They’re firepower is crippled. They have the advantage still of being a mobile firing platform, but I feel 180pts for this role is excessive. They’re more surviveable though with 4+ and 3+ cover saves and that, but so is the opposition. The new scatter rules are a bit too hit and miss for my liking. Then there Is the fact they are BIG and can’t hide.

Skyrays:
With the bigger emphasis on pathfinders and markerlights, these guys might prove a slightly better deal these days. I’m still iffy though. They’re limited on seekers, scoring and other sorts of stuff and I think there are better uses for our 3 heavy slots.

Sniper Drone teams:
Now we’re talking!! I can see something of a possibility here. Yes, they sucked in 4th. They were non scoring, and took up a valuable heavy in a mobile game. Now though?? The bad first: they’re 4 models strong. They’re vulnerable to the new wound allocation system. They’re a sit back unit, meaning they could be prey to flankers.
I dunno though… I think the good outweighs the bad.
Non scoring is no biggie any more as no heavies score.
They have shield generators, which should hopefully prevent too much harm hitting them.
They are a small footprint unit. They wont block too much LOS for things. Stagger their formation and you should be able to see stuff coming from either flank.
Ap3 guns deny FNP… And they’re uber guns for taking down and possibly pinning crack heavy infantry. And they carry markerlights, which can be used for their own use or….

Broadsides:
…our new kings. I think broadsides are far and away the best bet this edition. They’re static firepower in an army I can see playing as a defensive anchor, with disruptive bits flying around. They’re cheap, pack a lot of firepower (2 shots per 1 for every hammerhead) and come in squads of up to 3. Don’t bother with drones though. Now, I figure, these guys alongside sniper drones are a perfect anchor unit. They can crack open any armour out there and with markerlights are damned good at it. Plus, when you face hordes, don’t forget what 6 broadsides can do with a SMS that doesn’t need LOS guided by markerlights… 24 shots hitting on 2s, no cover saves and killing on 3s. bye bye orks. damn, im getting a conniption from thiking what nine are capable of doing against light infantry with markerlight support at short range....

The nuts and bolts of killing stuff.
So, brief tactica.

Like I said, I can see our new style being akin to defense and disrupton.

In a nutshell, I will break down the tau units into 3 separate categories. I can see army lists being built around one category, or combining several elements of each.

The first category is the “defence” category. Obviously, any unit that can form a line and hold a formation is a defence unit. Broadsides, Sniper Drone teams and Fire Warriors are the obvious defense units.
Their job is to sit still, act as bait, and allow the other guy to come in, as the kauyon teaches us. They have the firepower and range to pull this trick off quite successfully. Sniper Drones for the heavy marine infantry, fire warriors for the hordes and broadsides for the armour. And when they get in close, turn on the SMS…
Army lists based around this team will rely primarily on those 3 units. It is qhat we would call “static tau” in our current tactica.
The second category is disruption. Anything that is (a) mobile, and can bend and flow, relocate, twist, move, and dodge, and allow us to move like water or (b) wrecks the other guys plans is a disruption unit. These are the guys who run around the defensive line. Our armour, our suits (especially stealths) and our Kroot are our disruption units. Also, Fire Warriors in a devilfish have the mobility to count as a disruption unit. Also, holding our units in reserves may mean they can be brought on our own deployment zone as counter-infiltrators to foil any would be enemy flankers. Feel free to use the positional relay system…
They wont win a game on their own. But they can harry, and disrupt, and generally break up an attack, and help static elements do their job better.
Tactically, they don’t play the waiting game. They don’t stand as bait and shoot the other guy as they come in. They move, dodge, shoot, move again. They turn up in unexpected places and throw a spanner in the works, and they stop the other guy from just charging forward.
I’ve discussed the uses of crisis suits in this manner as useful in a defensive (hugging the backs of tanks) or offensive (running after an aggressive skimmer wall) and we can see how stealths and kroot using the new infiltration rules can wreak havoc in the back lines.
The third category is not really a full category in its own right. It wont win battles, but it can help the other two styles fight better. Its our “support” category. Primarily, Pathfinders and other markerlight units. I would also put in commanders with the positional relay system here, for their ability to mess with the reserve rules. These units can help both other styles of play.
For example, 2 squads of Pathfinders generate two devilfish. The new rules make transports undedicated, so just stick the fire warriors in them and don’t bother getting them their own fish. It lets our troops play static or mobile. It also gives us our aggressive skimmer wall for our crisis suits. Or our defensive skimmer wall for deathrains.
Secondly, their markerlight support allows our defense units to play to their best. 4 marlerlights per squad is bringing 24 fire warriors up to bs5, or wrecking the cover save for vehicles for our lumbering broadsides.
Our commander is also a useful tool here, especially with the positional relay. Think about it. We can voluntarily hold back vital units. And we are the only army out there with the ability to pull them on specifically on a 2+. here’s the scenario. Hold back 3 broadsides with the advanced stabilisation system. Start your game. On your turn 2, with the PRS, they’re coming on the board on a 2+, in a hugely vital place and they can shoot. Heh, there is nothing stating you must deploy your army either, so just start with everything off the board (PRS doesn’t need commander to be on the field to work) and put on dirt cheap units (4 man gun drone teams) until turn 3 or 4, and then put everything on in one place and make things go boom.

It will be… interesting I think.

OK, sample army lists: I’ll go with a 2000pt hybrid force. It combines disruption and defense elements.

Shas’el. Positional relay. fusion. Missile pod. HW multi tracker. 94

2 XV8s. fireknife. Team leader, t.array 139
6 stealths. 180

12 Fire Warriors. Shas’ui. 130
12 Fire Warriors. Shas’ui. 130
10 Kroot.5 hounds 100
10 kroot. 5 hounds 100

8 Pathfinders. Shas’ui. 106
Devilfish. Disruption pod. 85
8 Pathfinders. Shas’ui. 106
Devilfish. Disruption pod. 85

3 Broadsides. A.S.S. team leader w/ t.lock 250
3 Broadsides. A.S.S. team leader w/ t.lock 250
3 sniper drone teams 240

1995pts.

Now, here is an army based around the defense and disruption model. You have a firebase comprising 6 broadsides, and 3 sniper drone teams, backed up by 2 teams of fire warriors, and two pathfinder teams. This is the bait. There is no point theorising deployment of the bait as that will as be subjective based on the boards you fight on, but essentially that is the basic model. The Kroot can deploy alongside the fire warriors if you need a counter assault unit in your lines or else extra firepower. Or else they can infiltrate and mess around in the other guys deployment zone. Stealths will be doing the latter the whole time. Its one unit. If you want, split it into 2 3man teams, but I think a 6 man team is better able to use markerlight support. The suits can stay back or go forward depending on whats needed, as can the fire warriors. The broadsides and sniper drones hold the line.

Now, as mentioned that is the basic hybrid model that I propose. Now, if you don’t like the idea of the “buzzing hornets” that are disruption units, then replace the kroot with more fire warriors. You wont be let down with the new consolidation rules, plus with the hording of the game (orks and nids) more basic dakka is good.
Now, perhaps you don’t want to play the defense mould. You’ve played 4th ed tau too long, and you’re too stubborn to change. Well, then its simple. Swap out the static units for hammerheads and devilfish. Rely on the aggressive and defensive skimmer walls as well as your jump infantry to do the business for you. And drop the fire warriors and just throw all your troops into the enemy deployment zone with the new reserve rules. Should you wish to take pathfinders in this disruption force, its up to you.

Now, I’ll say this as a disclaimer.

So…

DISCLAIMER…

This is a “blind” tactica. It’s a blind treatise. Its based on old leaked PDFs, and though we’re all but certain of what 5th ed will bring, until we see it, we can’t know 100% what is going to happen.
Its “blind” in that I am merely applying the new system to our units and seeing what we can do with them. And it does not take into account what the new system will do to other armies, and other units.Essentially, this treatise does not know what the metagame will me. It might be this treatise will be null and void within 6 months with the shift in the metagame. It might be that I have just broken tau as an army and they are the new cheese…

Now, what I want is this. I want input from other people who don’t play tau. I want to hear from the other side of the table. Eldar players, ork players, chaos players. And not just any players. I want people who know their armies inside out, with dozens and hundreds of games under their belts, and if possible, for than just a few tourneys to their credit as well. I want people with the vision to know what fifth ed will bring to their armies and how they see the metagame shifting.
Its for the greater good. If we can have input from the other side, we can modify this treatise and other tactics in a proper fashion, rather than shooting blindly into the dark.

I think that defense and disruption is a good starting point though. It’s a template that is workable and we might be able to build something impressive from it…

Very Insightfl. 1+ Karma - C_V

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 01:39   #2 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Deadnight's take on 5th ed. Lads, we might have something here...

I agree 100% with you. With the alleged changes coming our way i can already see the importance of a more balanced force and how GW wants the tau to be played almost. Not as a all out offensive leave that to the marines they want tau players to think and deceive the opponent. I already love stealth teams and i am liking sniper drones more and more with the results they have been pulling for me recently. I really can't wait for the new edition and playing with new strategies with a new edition really comes a new way of playing for the majority of us.
Old 27 May 2008, 07:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, you ask for a point of view from non tau palyers....

i think that tau will simply laugh at anyonewho deploys a vehicle of any kind. wheras before there were kinks like hull down or always glancing before, these are all now represented by cover saves that can be removed by markerlights.

pathfinders have just become priority ONE targets.

tau still have a speed advantage over most armies but there are some tough armies like necrons (though the monoliths might be left at home) who could still make it to your lines and cause all manner of trouble. the gauss rule may have been nerfed, with the glancing meaning -2 on the table, but it will still prove to be a massive annoyance to you.

i would still include a hammerhead or 2. the scatter has an average of 3" (about the same as now) though it does have the potential to be as much as 9" on a bad roll. add to that the fact that there are no partials any more and the submunition will take out half an ork mob per shot
Old 27 May 2008, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
well, you ask for a point of view from non tau palyers....
i would still include a hammerhead or 2. the scatter has an average of 3" (about the same as now) though it does have the potential to be as much as 9" on a bad roll. add to that the fact that there are no partials any more and the submunition will take out half an ork mob per shot
AND, some where i read that all template weapons will wound automatically, so that will devestate horde squads
Old 27 May 2008, 10:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Ap3 guns deny FNP… And they’re uber guns for taking down and possibly pinning crack heavy infantry. And they carry markerlights, which can be used for their own use or….
According to the newest rumours, "only" AP1-2 will deny FNP. The upside is that it doesn't matter what S the weapon have.
Seregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, this is an excellent tactica Deadnight, despite being blind.

A few things
1) First off, deathrain crisis suits, in my opinion, will really shine. They have flexibility to be either defensive, and sit back to shoot stuff, with a range of 36", or to be offensive, and disrupt the enemy with the rest of the crisis suits, getting side shots on armour, and bringing high strength against anything that needs to get killed with it. I use these in every endeavor I do, and twin-linked BS 4 missile pods have yet to fail me.

2) The positional relay does require the commander to be on the ground. That's why it's useless in the current Omega battles, especially since we can't give it to stealth suits (why, I'll never know...). I like the positional relay a lot in 5th, but it does have to start on the board.

3) In conjunction with Positional relays, and the need to take pathfinders, remember that the devilfish from the pathfinders makes deep striking safer, so that's more of an option for one hit wonders than it was before.

4) While I agree we've lost JSJ with terrain, I like the analysis of using vehicles for it. We have some of the biggest vehicles in the game, and there is nothing that says we can't use them (or their wreckages) to JSJ around

5) Speaking of vehicles, who says hammerheads lost firepower? Give them a disruption pod, and watch people gape in awe as we produce a cover save without actually moving We move 6" a turn now, and twelve if we need it. Yay! And I still think decoy launchers will be worth it, so we won't be destroyed by glancing hits, despite the higher penetration ability of the enemy.

6) As for templates wounding all models under the template with what sounds like no roles to wound, well, that means my farsight army just got a lot nastier Speaking of which, I haven't shared that...

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 20:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I appreciate the effort here, but the fact is that 5th edition will ruin the viability of viable, non-cheesy army types. I actually haven't seen anybody claim that the Tau are a dead army, but I have seen people that are very, very unhappy about Tau mobility getting pretty heavily screwed. Implying that people should just "adapt" their once-fast armies to dead-weight armies because that's the "smart" thing to do is... irritating. 5th edition will very likely screw over faster Tau armies, which is something people should be griping about. A lot of us don't have any inclination to play using pseudo-IG tactics because we find it boring. Also, since when do 4th edition Sniper Teams suck? They're the only static element I use and they work very well at what they do, so how does that make them suck?

All that being said, thanks for combining all the various proposed theories for 5th edition Tau in one post. I think Tau will be plenty strong in the 5th edition (just not in the way I play, which obviously pisses me off), but there a lot of people who don't see it that way. Folks who play static Tau should be happy with a lot of the new potential in 5th. Infantry will be more important, vehicles less important, and Tau markerlight elements will be a very big deal now. The no-consolidation-move rule change alone will make HUGE difference for static Tau armies. Who cares if you have to line up your entire army to shoot? You don't have to worry about a single Nob Biker squad ripping through half your army in two turns anymore, which is obviously a BIG plus.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 08:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I for one intend to use a mobile list in 5th. I still plan on getting three hammerheads and atleast 3 devilfish. I also plan on giving those vehicles sensor spines, and endevouring the put as much terrian on the field as possible, especially area terrian.

I intend on moving through cover alot, dropping my firewarriors off in strategic places so they can deliever exceptional firepower and manuever. I love it.

My vehicles are going to use cover to protect themselves and support my infantry. Seems like fun to me.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 10:55   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

How do you recon Tau mobility getting screwed? The only negative aspect is that our skimmers aren't invincible anymore. Since you can see through your own units, which none of the newer rumours say doesn't include skimmers, although giving the opponents a 4+ cover save, FoF is still a viable option.
Additionally the twin fusion blaster crisis and other configuration with a short range will become even more dangerous since they will have the option of running in the first 1-2 turns and thus moving 13-18" to flank the enemy.
Finally even the FW can make a rapid redeployment to reinforce one of their flanks thanks to move+run. Or you can use any pathfinder's devilfish since they will no longer be dedicated transports. Just zoom and pick a unit up and drop them of where you need them.

The nerf for skimmers were really needed. In 4th I've managed to prevent a Greater Daemon from ever reaching my firewarriors thanks to a devilfish moving and placing itself in it's way, and since he could only hit the thing on 6+ it was damned hard for him to take it down. Had it on the other hand been a land raider, the tank would have gone by at latest the second turn.

With the more or less confirmed rumours from BoLS, B&C and WS, I wouldn't say Tau's been screwed with very much at all.

Edit: Also, the fact that Tau can't take heavy/special weapons in our normal troops makes the only real target for separate saves our Crisis, if and only if we kit them differently. The only thing needed is an updated FAQ on the shield drones, which I'm sure will be included when it's released this summer/fall.
Seregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Snarl
I appreciate the effort here, but the fact is that 5th edition will ruin the viability of viable, non-cheesy army types.
odd. most people consider mech-tau to be the height of cheesyness. never bothered me though. what bothered me though was every tau list was the same. i've seen the same army on dozens of different boards. Im tired of it. i fancy something new.

my tactica is not cheesy. its merely focussing on whats good, and trying to integrate it all...

Quote:
I actually haven't seen anybody claim that the Tau are a dead army, but I have seen people that are very, very unhappy about Tau mobility getting pretty heavily screwed.
which basically IS the only workable 4th ed tau army... which has been gone over on many different forums and discussion groups...

Quote:
Implying that people should just "adapt" their once-fast armies to dead-weight armies because that's the "smart" thing to do is... irritating.
tough. deal with it...

you've had it good in 4th. Now evolve into 5th. the rhino rush players faced the same gripes in the transition for 3rd to 4th and we just laughed at them and claimed the game is now fairer... Now the skimmer armies face the same thing. but thats different, apparently...

things change, mate. and fyi, its far from "dead weight". that implies a lot of it will be sitting around doing nothing, and just dragging the rest down. i can't see that happening.

Quote:
5th edition will very likely screw over faster Tau armies, which is something people should be griping about.
why?

Like i said, i'm intrigued by the changes. I'm bored with what we have now. I've found the fast mechanised army is just limited, and frankly, other armies out there are more exciting.

I can understand your frustration though. Our one viable style of play has been broken by GW and you're annoyed. but there is more to the game and the hobby than one style. you might find new joy experimenting with the new rules and with your roster. As is, you play the same half dozen lists the whole time in a game that was still unbalanced. Now, GW have given a bland game a much needed shake up...

Quote:
A lot of us don't have any inclination to play using pseudo-IG tactics because we find it boring.
IG tactics are a wall of troops with leman russes.

we've got a different stlye. more flankers running around the rear, more mobile firepower, JSJing suits etc... just because a static focus now has merit does not make us an IG clone army...

Quote:
Also, since when do 4th edition Sniper Teams suck? They're the only static element I use and they work very well at what they do, so how does that make them suck?
well, they always sucked as

(a) it was too easy to deny LOS with area terrain rules.
(b) they took up a third heavy slot. which was better filled by a hammerhead
(c) too damned expensive
(d) can't score in 4th. for no apparent reason whatsoever.
(e) with the focus on vehicles in 4th, they just lost out...

Quote:
How do you recon Tau mobility getting screwed? The only negative aspect is that our skimmers aren't invincible anymore. Since you can see through your own units, which none of the newer rumours say doesn't include skimmers, although giving the opponents a 4+ cover save, FoF is still a viable option.
the loss in firepower mainly. 4th ed was all about moving everything 12" a turn and wrecking stuff. and running behind, and using cover the whole time. that's pretty much gone now with the non scoring nature for hammerheads, no LOS restrictions in terrain, and the new defensive weapons rules. vehicles from now on are a support element i fear, not the core element, which was the case.

and i thought our own units blocked LOS? i'll have to check an updated set of rules for it, but im certain skimmers blocked LOS, as did other units...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote