Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: Vespid
Old 26 May 2008, 09:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tactica: Vespid

Intro

Okay, I've been annoyed with how many people dismiss Vespid out of hand. So I've tried to write a tactica on them :P

Target Aquired:

The first thing to realise when using Vespid is that They're NOT for killing Tactical squads! The ideal targets for the bug men are small, elite, pricy units with a 3+ save. such as: Eldar aspect warriors, devastators, havocs, Sm or Csm bikes, Space marine veterens, blood angel death companyand other such units (including Crisis suits ). These units should be small, about 5 men idealy otherwise your bugs will need support (markerlights?). A squad of 4 dark reapers and an exarch would cost 187pts, on average 9 Vespid and a strain leader (166pts) firing on them would kill 4-5, 140-187pts a turn! Now onto the main problem with this lethal firepower, its close range.

Movement/protection:

As you will have noticed Vespid have 12" guns, this puts them within move then charge range of anyone they shoot. It also puts them within move then rapid fire range of anyone within 6" of their target. This is of course a big problem for the relatively weak Vespid. Thanks to this movement is a crucial part of their survival. Vespid should only attack isolated units such as those on a flank, but due to this not always being possible you can always "isolate" their target. This involves another unit such as a hammerhead or crisis unit killing the next closest unit. e.g

DA DA DA DA DA DR DR DR DR DR
DA DA DA DA DA

V V V V V V V
V V V

H

In this example the hammerhead (H) would pie-plate the dire avengers leaving the vespid safe to kill the dark reapers in relative safety.

City fight:

One place where the vespid excel is in a cityfight, here there is plenty of cover to shelter in and their close range weapons are not much of a disadvantage. There abilitys for flying through dangerous terrain along with their ability to fly make them amongst the best cityfighters we can field.

Movement/movement:

The vespid are fast, by far faster than any other infantry unit we can field although they do not benefit from jsj and they can also fly headlong through terrain with ease and in safety. an ability that alows them much more freedom of movement than the crisis suits. They can attack from an unsuspected quater, retreat through terrain that most enemys would be reluctant to enter and claim objectives in the last turn of the game.

Objective snatching:

Finaly the vespid are almost unparelleled objective snatchers. They have the speed and numbers to reach the objective and still be over half strength. Also the fact that many objectives are also terrain peices, which give them a cover save to help counter their low armour saves and whcih the vespid can navigate without as much risk as other jump troops.

Summary:

The Vespid are fast troops able to attack from any quarter, kill isolated groups of elite warriors and rush through densely packed terrain to capture objectives in the closing stages of the game.

Thanks for reading this tactica and next time you play eldar or space marine palyers who love their devastators don't disregard the Vespid entirley. Field a unit of 10, remember the rules of using them and I promise you they'll work wonders. Any feedback welcome.

No Name.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 11:17   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tactica: Vespid

Sure, they might seem as good city fighters, but remember: in a city fight, nearly everyone gets a coversave. So those AP3 weapons are going to be pretty useless
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 11:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think you need to emphasize proper timing in the use of Vespid. They are fast and lethal, but you likely only get one shot with them. If you don't play them right you won't even get that, and a single round of bolter fire or flamers will annihilate them. Keep them behind LOS-blocking cover, or at least far enough away from the enemy that your opponent has more important things to shoot at. When a close combat squad gets unpleasantly close to your fire warriors, have the Vespid swoop in and take them out. Once you expose the vespid to attack, make sure they end your turn in assault, even if it costs you the firepower of their AP3 guns. Fleet them if necessary, but you want to shoot them too if at all possible.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 19:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name
As you will have noticed Vespid have 12" guns, this puts them within move then charge range of anyone they shoot.
You can use drones to stop the enemy rapidfiring or charging them.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=66991.0

There is also another tactica for Vespid on this site.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19517.0

It's nice to know someone else didn't dismiss the bugs.
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 07:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

For your efforts No Name, here's a cookie. 1+ Karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 10:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wanna Cookie, Can i have a cookie too please?

But anyway, good article No Name. However, due to my Morbid fear of Wasps, i won't be using vespids any time soon i'm afraid.
Old 28 May 2008, 11:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanx guys! I was a bit nervous as this was my first tactica but I'm glad for the feedback (and a karma YAY!) glad to hear that at least one other person likes Vespid although shame I couldnt convert some non-believers :P

I'm reading the other tactica now, pretty good!

No Name
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 18:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name
Intro

Okay, I've been annoyed with how many people dismiss Vespid out of hand. So I've tried to write a tactica on them :P

Target Aquired:

The first thing to realise when using Vespid is that They're NOT for killing Tactical squads! The ideal targets for the bug men are small, elite, pricy units with a 3+ save. such as: Eldar aspect warriors, devastators, havocs, Sm or Csm bikes, Space marine veterens, blood angel death companyand other such units (including Crisis suits ). These units should be small, about 5 men idealy otherwise your bugs will need support (markerlights?). A squad of 4 dark reapers and an exarch would cost 187pts, on average 9 Vespid and a strain leader (166pts) firing on them would kill 4-5, 140-187pts a turn! Now onto the main problem with this lethal firepower, its close range.

Movement/protection:

As you will have noticed Vespid have 12" guns, this puts them within move then charge range of anyone they shoot. It also puts them within move then rapid fire range of anyone within 6" of their target. This is of course a big problem for the relatively weak Vespid. Thanks to this movement is a crucial part of their survival. Vespid should only attack isolated units such as those on a flank, but due to this not always being possible you can always "isolate" their target. This involves another unit such as a hammerhead or crisis unit killing the next closest unit. e.g

DA DA DA DA DA DR DR DR DR DR
DA DA DA DA DA

V V V V V V V
V V V

H

In this example the hammerhead (H) would pie-plate the dire avengers leaving the vespid safe to kill the dark reapers in relative safety.

City fight:

One place where the vespid excel is in a cityfight, here there is plenty of cover to shelter in and their close range weapons are not much of a disadvantage. There abilitys for flying through dangerous terrain along with their ability to fly make them amongst the best cityfighters we can field.

Movement/movement:

The vespid are fast, by far faster than any other infantry unit we can field although they do not benefit from jsj and they can also fly headlong through terrain with ease and in safety. an ability that alows them much more freedom of movement than the crisis suits. They can attack from an unsuspected quater, retreat through terrain that most enemys would be reluctant to enter and claim objectives in the last turn of the game.

Objective snatching:

Finaly the vespid are almost unparelleled objective snatchers. They have the speed and numbers to reach the objective and still be over half strength. Also the fact that many objectives are also terrain peices, which give them a cover save to help counter their low armour saves and whcih the vespid can navigate without as much risk as other jump troops.

Summary:

The Vespid are fast troops able to attack from any quarter, kill isolated groups of elite warriors and rush through densely packed terrain to capture objectives in the closing stages of the game.

Thanks for reading this tactica and next time you play eldar or space marine palyers who love their devastators don't disregard the Vespid entirley. Field a unit of 10, remember the rules of using them and I promise you they'll work wonders. Any feedback welcome.

No Name.
I disagree with the not meant for killing tactical squads. Sometimes stragglers are meant to be hunted down.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Honestly the best way to utilize vespid is to not use them at all. Sorry to say but they're just not worth the points. I mean, they've got a pretty worthless armor save and they're not a particularly high toughness unit. They're weapons are pretty good but they're not very strong nor do they get very many shots at all. On top of all of this they're not particularly good at assaulting. They may have a high initiative but they're not particularly high strength nor do they have a very high weapon skill. you could use them for mobile shooting but considering their range they're likely to get assaulted after shooting. You could use other units to block the assault for them but odds are you'll end up losing more points blocking assaults than the vespid are worth. The best thing about the vespid is the fact that they have AP3 shooting but they dont get very many shots at all. They're just really worthless considering the many other better choices that the Tau have.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 02:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Honestly, I think the point of the Vespids is to run them THROUGH cover. They do re-roll failed dangerous terrain tests.