Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to tau, Bunch of questions to help me before my first games, questions added
Old 26 May 2008, 01:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New to tau, Bunch of questions to help me before my first games, questions added

I'm currently assembling my starter tau army, and was reading through the codex, browsing some forums, and have still found some questions that you all could help me with I'm sure.

Crisis battlesuit questions:

Special Issue gear - Just want reconfirmation that I can use all of them in an army, just only one of each specific type. Like I can have all special issue gear on one unit (cyclic ionic blaster, airbursting fragmentation launcher, iridium armor, stimulant injector, etc.), but no more than one of each special issue item in my army.

Jet pack rules - 6 inches movement in the movement phase, then 6 in the assault phase in any direction, even if not assaulting the enemy.

Can I carry two of the same type of weapon without calling it twin linked, (i.e. two burst cannons, for 6 shots total? Not 3 with rerolls on misses?)

Stealth suit questions:

I know the stealth suits have some sorta system I've briefly heard about that allows them a greater chance of not being seen or protection or something, from enemy units. Was that acute senses special rule? Or what, need light to guide me.

Vehicle questions:

It says in the codex that the Multi-tracker enables a vehicle to fire as if it were a fast vehicle. Need more reconfirmation that that means for instance, a tau hammerhead can move 12 inches firing everything or something else?

Sky-ray missile defence ship - Has 6 seeker missiles on it. Does it have 6 missile shots a game, or does it have 6 per turn?

This is all I can think of right now, but I greatly appreciate all help that anyone has to offer. Will undoubtedly come up with more questions

*New Questions*

Alright, got some more questions to throw down at ya.

Stealth Suits - In the Tau Codex it states under the "Equipment" subject that "Each team member may select one battlesuit support system. If this option is taken, all members must do so, though each may select a different system." Now in the back of the codex it gives you an example of a 1500 point army. In the lower corner where the stealth suits are, only the shas'vre is equipped with any support systems. Can this be clarified?

Another question about stealth suits. Where it says options, "One in three models (including the team leader or Shas'vre) may replace their burst cannon with a fusion blaster at a cost of 2 pts per model." The way I'm interpreting that is it will cost me 24 points to equip two stealth suits with burst cannons in my squad of 6, am I correct?

As regarding my question about equipping two of the same weapon systems on a battlesuit, I would like to know where it says that you can't equip two without them being twin linked. I don't want to be annoying, but I noticed that Shadowsun has two fusion blasters that fire independently. I realize that she is a special character which may make all the difference, but I still haven't found anything myself that states you cannot have 2 of the same weapon systems without them being twin linked.

Sniper weapons - In the Warhammer 40k rulesbook, it says sniper weapons hit on a 2 or more regardless of firer's ballistic skill, and wound on a roll of 4+ regardless of the victims toughness. Does that apply for sniper drone teams?

Fire Warriors - Are they only equipped with a pulse carbine/rifle, or do they secretively have a pulse pistol on them? I was being taught how to play warhammer at a game shop, and my teacher told me that his space marines had bolt pistols even though they were not displayed on the model. In the event I wanted to charge a squad I'd like to know if i could shoot at them while charging (which will unlikely happen but just in case.)

Shield drones - I understand how these little guys work, but not in every scenario yet. If I have one in a unit, does it protect just the individual with it, or many? Same question with shield Generators, if I had a unit of 3 XV suits, and one with a shield generator, if the squad comes under fire, do I just roll that one to null damage separately, or can he count as helping others? Or if a squad of fire warriors has a drone controller, and one shield drone, does it only protect the one shas'ui?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 01:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: New to tau, Bunch of questions to help me before my first games.

I dunno if anyone's ever taken both the CIB and the AFP on the same suit before, but yeah, you can take one of each special-issue item in your army, and on the same unit if you could fit them all on there.

Yes on the jet packs, 6" move anywhere in movement and assault phases. Unless you have the iridium armor upgrade which limits your movement (not a lot of people take that I don't think).

No, they have to be twin-linked as far as I know. So twin-linked burst cannons, twin-linked fusion blasters, etc.

The stealths I just recently discovered myself (kinda sucks after two games using them...). Stealth field generators, it's in the wargear section. Units shooting at them have to roll to see if they can spot them, or they can be ignored altogether and the unit can fire at the next closest target (which also prevents you from using them to screen ICs as he loses IC protection in that case), etc.

As far as I know, yes. It fires like a fast vehicle, so it can move up to 12" and fire one main and all defensive weapons.

Six a game, apparently...kinda lame, they obviously aren't that popular because of this.

Oh, and as for general help, don't forget to use your jet pack moves in the assault phase. Don't jump out of cover and accidentally leave them open to fire/assault. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 01:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
I'm currently assembling my starter tau army, and was reading through the codex, browsing some forums, and have still found some questions that you all could help me with I'm sure.

Crisis battlesuit questions:

Special Issue gear - Just want reconfirmation that I can use all of them in an army, just only one of each specific type. Like I can have all special issue gear on one unit (cyclic ionic blaster, airbursting fragmentation launcher, iridium armor, stimulant injector, etc.), but no more than one of each special issue item in my army.
Yes, that's right. Also be sure to know that only Team Leaders, Shas'vre, and the HQ suits can have SI weapons and wargear.

Jet pack rules - 6 inches movement in the movement phase, then 6 in the assault phase in any direction, even if not assaulting the enemy.
Right again. If you ever see anyone talking about JSJ that stands for Jump Shoot Jump and they are referring to that ability.

Can I carry two of the same type of weapon without calling it twin linked, (i.e. two burst cannons, for 6 shots total? Not 3 with rerolls on misses?)
Absolutely not, if you have two of the same weapon they must be twin-linked, and you are not allowed to take three identical weapons.

Stealth suit questions:

I know the stealth suits have some sorta system I've briefly heard about that allows them a greater chance of not being seen or protection or something, from enemy units. Was that acute senses special rule? Or what, need light to guide me.
Acute senses is what makes it easier for the suits to see units during night fighting rules. See the main rulebook in the section for special abilities for more specifics. The Stealth Field works very similar to night fighting, check out the Stealth Field in the Battlesuit Armory. I can't post the exact rules, but check them over and see if you have any more specific questions.

Vehicle questions:

It says in the codex that the Multi-tracker enables a vehicle to fire as if it were a fast vehicle. Need more reconfirmation that that means for instance, a tau hammerhead can move 12 inches firing everything or something else?
Yes, it can move 12 and fire everything, but it can still move a max of 12.

Sky-ray missile defence ship - Has 6 seeker missiles on it. Does it have 6 missile shots a game, or does it have 6 per turn?
Per game. Kind of a bummer in my book.

This is all I can think of right now, but I greatly appreciate all help that anyone has to offer. Will undoubtedly come up with more questions
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 01:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

the special issue gear question yes you can have only ONE of EACH item so you can have one cyclic ionic blaster and one airbursting fragmentation launcher and one iridium armor and one stimulant injector ect

yes you can move 6 inches in movement and in the assult. you can also fire rapid fire as if you have not move and you can still do your assult move. so you can move 6 inches fire your plasma rifle at rapid fire range and move 6 inches back to were you started, that's called JSJ (jump shoot jump) in-case you didn't know and it seems to annoy the living hell out of all none tau players ;D

no. if you carry two of the same weapon they are classed as twinlinked so from having two burst cannons you get 3 re-rollerable shots you can not carry 3 of the same weapon either

the stealth suit rule is rather good. it subjects everything fire at them to take a nightfight test. also they can be ignored for target priority tests

yes with the multi tracker the tank can move 12inches and fire everything.

the skyray only has 6 shots TOTAL

hope that helps ya!

welcome to the greater good.... we have cookies :P

Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Another thing though, I heard someone say that they removed seekers whenever they got a "weapon destroyed" result on a skyray. I don't know if you can really do that or not, but it'd be good to know I guess, in case you wanted to keep your SMS or burst cannons instead. And you'd only lose one missile. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 02:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

yes you can because each seeker missile is a main weapon... they'd get removed first then the burst/sms because they are secondry weapons. dunno if you can remove the maker lights tho :-\ be cool if the little torches of impending doom were indestructable...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Yes markerlights can be destroyed. They count as defensive weapons.
Old 26 May 2008, 06:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
No, Markerlights cannot be destroyed.
The rulebook explicitly states that weapons, and upgrades that function like/s weapons, with a strength of 4 or higher can be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result.

Are markerlights counted as a weapon?
Yes.
Do they have a strength of 4 or more?
No. Actually, they don't even have a strength value at all.
Thus, markerlights on vehicles cannot be destroyed by weapon destroyed results. End of. >

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 08:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
No, Markerlights cannot be destroyed.
The rulebook explicitly states that weapons, and upgrades that function like/s weapons, with a strength of 4 or higher can be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result.

Are markerlights counted as a weapon?
Yes.
Do they have a strength of 4 or more?
No. Actually, they don't even have a strength value at all.
Thus, markerlights on vehicles cannot be destroyed by weapon destroyed results. End of. >
Couldn't have said it better myself. ;D
Old 02 Jun 2008, 12:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New to tau, Bunch of questions to help me before my first games, questions a

Thanks for all the help thus far everyone. I have however, added some more questions that I'm sure you could assist me with.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote