Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sacrificial units for the greater good.
Old 25 May 2008, 22:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Sacrificial units for the greater good.

I've been reading a lot of talk about the importance of using sacrificial units to stall the advance of assault troops in 5th edition, effectively stalling the enemy in rapid fire range by strategically feeding tiny chunks of your army to the enemy. Personally I'm leaning towards six carbine equipped fire warriors in a standard devilfish to do the job.

This of course makes me curious to what units people would use in this role and why, and of course if they can use mathhammer to back their choices.

This is by no means a pathetic excuse to get mathamatically literate people to do my homework for me.

Honest.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 00:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black
Default Re: Sacrificial units for the greater good.

Tau don't really need to feed a unit one at a time, they just use Pulse carbines to pin (believe me it works with Markerlight help) or just use sniper drones

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Instead of firewarriors (the equivalent of a hamburger to most assault troops) I like using kroot (the equivalent of barbed wire). They get the job done and generally can dish out some damage as well. Gives you enough time to regroup.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Or if you can afford the FA slot a group of Gun Drones might not be a bad idea. Decent shots, they'll get there fast, and have a chance at pinning. And with the consolidation changes in 5th you can get your Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles right behind them without worrying about them getting charged.

Now I actually want to try this sometime. Three squads of Gun Drones ahead of three squads of Fire Warriors with Rifles. Sounds like it could work.
Old 30 May 2008, 23:03   #5 (permalink)
Zar
Shas'Saal

i'm a fluff monkey, so don't kill me for this.

tau don't use sacrifical units, attrition and sacrification are against thier combat doctrine. the tau way of war maximises kills and minimizes deaths, unlike the imperium.
Old 30 May 2008, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar

tau don't use sacrifical units, attrition and sacrification are against thier combat doctrine. the tau way of war maximises kills and minimizes deaths, unlike the imperium.
Yes and no, yer you are right they try not to lose a lot of warriors, no because on page 25 under flailsafe denonator it says "ultimate expression of the doctorine of the Greater Good". So you are right and wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
I've been reading a lot of talk about the importance of using sacrificial units to stall the advance of assault troops in 5th edition, effectively stalling the enemy in rapid fire range by strategically feeding tiny chunks of your army to the enemy. Personally I'm leaning towards six carbine equipped fire warriors in a standard devilfish to do the job.

This of course makes me curious to what units people would use in this role and why, and of course if they can use mathhammer to back their choices.

This is by no means a pathetic excuse to get mathamatically literate people to do my homework for me.

Honest.
All right this is what I have to get any fast assaulters that get too far from the main 'body' of their army.

Diagram X Tau Vehicle k kroot squad x Fire line y enemy assault squad that is annoying.

optional #1 xxxxxx #2 #3 #4

X k y k X Xk y kX XkykX XKY
X k k X X
X
As you can see the fire line is optional. If used it could soften up the enemy for you, but it could be used for better targets instead. Note on 1 and 2 the enemy can't fire at the kroot next turn because skimmers block line of sight. Also if you have warfish they can soften up your enemy. 1 I call a trap. 2 is a mini trap. 3 I call broadsiding (midevil naval warfare) 4. I call drive by shooting. Each utilizes kroot and warfish attacking and hopefuly slaying the faster enemy that is a threat to our firing lines.
Old 30 May 2008, 23:28   #7 (permalink)
Zar
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkkrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar

Yes and no, yer you are right they try not to lose a lot of warriors, no because on page 25 under flailsafe denonator it says "ultimate expression of the doctorine of the Greater Good". So you are right and wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts

Honest.
All right this is what I have to get any fast assaulters that get too far from the main 'body' of their army.

Diagram X Tau Vehicle k kroot squad x Fire line y enemy assault squad that is annoying.

optional #1 xxxxxx #2 #3 #4

X k y k X Xk y kX XkykX XKY
X k k X X
X
As you can see the fire line is optional. If used it could soften up the enemy for you, but it could be used for better targets instead. Note on 1 and 2 the enemy can't fire at the kroot next turn because skimmers block line of sight. Also if you have warfish they can soften up your enemy. 1 I call a trap. 2 is a mini trap. 3 I call broadsiding (midevil naval warfare) 4. I call drive by shooting. Each utilizes kroot and warfish attacking and hopefuly slaying the faster enemy that is a threat to our firing lines.
i totally forgot about the failsafe detonator, thanks!
Old 30 May 2008, 23:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With the failsafe detonator the Tau in question is generally screwed anyway.

I also try to obey the fluff doctrines, and will only use drones as sacrificial units, which they excel at anyway with their deepstrike, jetpack and resilience against non powerweapon enemies in close combat.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote