Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interesting Sky-Ray Question.
Old 25 May 2008, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Interesting Sky-Ray Question.

An interesting question came up during a game the other night. I fielded my Sky-Ray, and my opponent managed an Armament Destroyed result on a glancing hit. The question was - just what weapons are on the Sky-Ray that he can destroy?

The Sky-Ray is armed with 6 Turret-Mounted Seeker Missiles, 2 Turret-Mounted Networked Markerlights, and 2 Burst Cannons. Can the seeker missiles be destroyed as a result of an Armament Destroyed result? If so, is a single missile destroyed, or are all of them destroyed?
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 16:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Interesting Sky-Ray Question.

You can't destroy any weapon without a Str value, so markerlights can't be destroyed. Also, seekers are counted as wargear, so you can't destroy them either. So an opponent can only destroy the burst cannons.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Untrue: Seeker missiles do count as a weapon system in the same way that imperial Hunter-killer missiles do. They can be destroyed in the same way as any other weapon, but it must be done one missile at a time (a fully loaded Sky ray with burst cannons could therefore survive eight weapon destroyed results before converting them into immobilized results)
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 16:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Actually, Damian_Alpha is completely correct. According to the letter of the law in the rule book when you roll a weapon destroyed result you start with primary weapons first (any weapon over strength 5) and then move on to defensive weapons (strength 5 and under). Each seeker missile counts as an individual weapon system. According the the rule book you would actually HAVE to destroy each seeker missile before you could hurt the burst cannons. On a side note, the Marker Lights can be destroyed because in their profile they're described as Defensive Weapons. If you were so inclined, you could choose to destroy the marker lights instead of the burst cannons.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

You don't start with primary weapons.
SAys weapons with a value of S4 or higher, therefore lasguns and marker lights are fine. Both are torches too

Yeah he can choose your seeker missiles as they are an upgrade that works like a weapon, basically hunter killers :P
But can't destroy the Marker lights

And why oh why would you have burst cannons on a Skyray?

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 19:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why not? It isn't like the secondary weapon can do much on its own whatever you use
Old 25 May 2008, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I use burst cannons on my sky rays for two reasons.
#1: They're cheaper than an SMS or gun drones.
#2: More firepower. Even though I don't get the benefit of range or of cover, a fast moving sky ray with burst cannons, targeting array, and good rolls drops six BS5 pulse rounds into a target and can (with lucky markerlight rolls) still leave a present for other units to use if that isn't enough firepower. You need line of sight to use the markerlights anyway, so you might as well get some use out of the secondary weapons system too!
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
SAys weapons with a value of S4 or higher, therefore lasguns and marker lights are fine. Both are torches too

Yeah he can choose your seeker missiles as they are an upgrade that works like a weapon, basically hunter killers :P

Where does it say you cant destroy the marker lights? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'd just like to know. In any case, I have NO IDEA why someone would take burst cannons on a skyray in the first place. keep that thing out of sight for the love of God and give it an SMS.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 20:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:

What page is this verified on? :huh:

Wargear is just that. Seekers are different from hunter killers after all...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:

What page is this verified on? :huh:

Wargear is just that. Seekers are different from hunter killers after all...
The only real difference is that seekers need a markerlight hit first