Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Ultra-fast Slaanesh Army- need some pointers
Closed Thread
Old 25 Apr 2005, 04:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau vs. Ultra-fast Slaanesh Army- need some pointers

I'm going to be playing a game vs. a very fast and scary Slaanesh army- He has 7 bikes ( that always turbo-boost in turn 1 ) and he then summons deamons off of an icon bearer in the bike squad. He seems very confident that he can hand me my head, but I have faith in the Greater Good and I play a mech style force.
I have 2 FW squads in DF's, 1 shas'el , 3 crisis, 1 XV88, 18 kroot, 1HH, 6 stealth, 2 tetras and 6 humans.
Can daemons be summoned in turn 1 ? If not I think I stand a chance of taking down his bikes ( big-time #1 target priority ), but if anyone has any tactical tips I would love to hear them.
** He has 7 bikes, 18 noise marines w/sonic blasters, a gribly pred w/3 lascannons ( daemonicly possessed)
and summons daemonettes and monsters on steeds, something like 28 of them in total ( also fast )
I was thinking about using my vehicles to protect foot troops and suits from assault by using terrain and properly placing them to deny movement but that will depend....

Any suggestions?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau vs. Ultra-fast Slaanesh Army- need some pointers

It must be made obvious which model in the bike squadron is the icon bearer. If possible, try to range-snipe that one out of the unit. I don't think Daemons can be summoned in the first turn, but I could be wrong about that. It should be pretty apparent where the bikes will be coming from when you see how the terrain is set up. Try to stick your Kroot in area terrain somewhere along their best line of approach. When the bikes get close, converge one or both units of Fire Warriors on them. They won't hold up to 48 pulse-rifle shots, and the Kroot can finish them off if they do. The daemons will be wasted unless there is another summoning unit somewhere else. What else is there in your opponent's army?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 05:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The noise marines have blastmasters, not sonic blasters, and in addition to what I put in the 1st post he has a unit of raptors and a Chaos Lord and some daemonic beasts. He basically goes for the daemon overkill and swamps his opponent as quickly as he can. His army is a bit of a one-trick pony but it's a pretty good trick.
I'm pretty sure that daemons' summoning is like deep striking- not till turn 2.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

One weakness I can already see in your friend's army is that there is little in the way of anti-armor weaponry. You are looking at the predator, the Havoks, and one blastmaster in each noise-marine squad (should be three total). His Daemonettes are really too weak to bring down your tanks on their own, so your Fire Warriors will be pretty safe until they are deployed. I had a look at the points, and it seems like your opponent is taking at least three units of daemons. That is a huge chunk of points to be risking. I would take the time to kill at least one member of each Noise Marine unit as early as possible, and two off of the bikes. The +1 for having 6 members in a squad is a bonus for them, and you don't want them to be able to take advantage of it. Your best weapon against Daemonettes is going to be massed pulse-rifle fire. FoF isn't going to protect you against the mounted version, but a single unit of them is not likely to survive a full round of pulse-rifle rapid-firing.

Good luck!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 06:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

what points level is this?

I'd be enclined to take 2 8 man Fish teams with Mt's on the fishes and load up on Stealths and HH to minimise the effect of the combat squads.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 Apr 2005, 07:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's a 1500 pt. game, and yes he does have 3 units of daemons, 1 is mounted(?? I'm not sure other than knowing they are fast, and all of the other ones have fleet).
Thanks for the advice Khanaris, I'm getting a better picture of what his strengths and weaknesses are. I think a lot will depend upon who goes 1st.
The 1 thing I have going for me is his ultra-confidence in his 1 trick, if I can stop that I think I could easily mop up the rest of his army.
We shall see...
The Shas'el to his troops:
"To War my brothers, the Greater Good is threatened by foul and corrupt beings"
Old 25 Apr 2005, 07:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think demons come in like reserves.

But to kill bikes just use mass FW fire, Make him take so many saves he fails enought to die.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 10:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Oh my! Tough fight on your hands eh?

Ok - good things to know: He is not pure, so he does not get +1 to his summoning rolls, which means 4+ for daemons on turn two. He also does -not- get aspiring champions for free. Daemons may be summoned to any icon in his army, so long as it doesn't conflict with the marks--in his case, no conflicts, so any unit fully marked slaneesh is effectively marked and effectively have an icon (it may simply be the champion acting as the icon mind you).

Lord
Raptors
Bikes
Noise Marines
Noise Marines
Noise Marines
Daemonettes
Daemonettes
Daemonettes on Steeds (move as cavlary)
Predator

If this is a 1500 point game, then all his points are dropped into those bikes, raptors and predator. Everything else is cheaper most likely.

Be sure to destroy his Predator A.S.A.P. His noise marines will be too difficult to remove the BlastMaster from, so simply wait for them later. You 2 obvious units that can summon all the daemons in his army: raptors and bikes. The bikes are dangerous due to turboboosting invulnerable saves and T5. However, you can overwhelm them--it will take -a lot- of fire to do this. Any of you number cruncher people can do that math if you really want to see what kind of firepower it takes for pulse rifles to kill T5, 3+ saving units that have 3+ invulnerable saves. It's very tough. The raptors on the other hand are easier to destroy. Both will probably have an icon to summon with (the raptors cannot be marked slaneesh, but undivided only, but they can have an undivided icon which summons those daemons still, or the champ could simply have a personal icon and still summon the daemons). The Daemonettes aren't the problem. They're slow and easy to kill and probably only come in packs of 6 I imagine. His steed mounted daemonettes on the other hand are very expensive but very fast. He can summon them on turn 2 if he's lucky and potentially have them in combat 48 inches from deployment right into combat (turboboost bikes 24inch, sit, summon, cavalry move 19~24inch into assault). So do not disembark or you will be in close combat with very good odds.

Watch his summoning. It happens before movement, just like deepstriking. He must summon on a 4+, from an icon, and it scatters 2D6 which may put them somehwere not good or further away, or closer actually. They can move, shoot, attack as normal the turn they arrive. However, the daemons will be in small squads of 6's or so. That is easily overwhelmed with rapidfire.

The other unit to mind is that Lord. I'm not sure of the setup, but I imagine it flies or moves as cavalry. And too probably has a personal icon to summon from. If he's monstrous, no problems, but if not, then he is a problem.

Noise Marines are easily destroyed by focus fire once you get rid of the fast units and daemons. However, this will be difficult. The reason being, you may disembark and really unload into your opponent, but the next turn, you will have S8 AP4 blast templates on your firewarriors from 3 blast masters. That means a single squad can be destroyed easily each turn. Small squads will be eliminated too easily, so keep your numbers high. Kroot -should- be ignored due to your armor and other juicy targets for him to fire at, so they may be a very nice counter unit to his fast units in terms of just assaulting them or helping out with rapidfire (though their shots will make a bigger difference against raptors than bikes due to toughness).

It's going to be a hard fight, friend. Choose your targets well and eliminate his fast units where possible. Bikes & Raptors should be a priority. The predator too via your Railgun. The noise marines can be overwhelmed later due to 6 marines being easily busted (don't forget, if you saturate him with firepower you can nominate the next save after the 6th one on a 6 man group--ie: his champ or icon to make an armor save to try and bust him out of there).

The tough thing is, the rest of his army is so dangerous, and you'll probably crush that part for the most part, but it will be the blast master toting noise marines that you didn't touch for 5 turns that end up doing all the damage and remain full size and scoring. They will sit still each turn to fire the blastmasters's heavy variant (though it can still fire while on the move with assault2 36 inch pinning shots... so watch out!).

Good luck to you, Sir.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 14:22   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Ok - good things to know:* He is not pure, so he does not get +1 to his summoning rolls, which means 4+ for daemons on turn two.* He also does -not- get aspiring champions for free.
That is because of the Raptors, isn't it Mal?* I forgot that Noise Marines armies couldn't take them.* I have a sneaky suspicion that this Chaos player is treating this as a pure army anyway.* I ran it through Army Builder, and the only way I could make it work to about the specifications Rama gave us was by giving the Lord nothing but a Bolter and the Havoks no heavy weapons at all.* So for Shas'O Rama, make sure to have a look at the army list.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Daemon bomb. Ah, the joys of the 4th edition bike rules. Mal's suggestions are strong - taking out the bikes, raptors, and predator would be my priority, with the nasty lord coming next assuming he's not just a normal footslogger. Khanaris might be on to something - it would not surprise me to find a "confused"[sup]*[/sup] chaos player - the army list is easy to abuse and even easier to screw up on. I wish I had a dollar for every "mistake" I've run into against chaos players. >

[sup]*[/sup]Or maybe a cheating

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread