Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th edition fluff?
Old 18 May 2008, 21:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 5th edition fluff?

To put something straight, this isn't a topic about tau being unplayable and nerfed in fifth ed, and i would prefer to keep to the numerous other topics. I want to know if GW will change the tau fluff in 5th ed. Do you think they will give them a bigger role in the galaxy? or might they start to show the tau becoming more dangerous and aggressive? What do you guys think?

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: 5th edition fluff?

Well, I expect they will incorporate some of the background from the Tau Empire codex into the main rulebook, but I can't see anything earth-shattering showing up until the codex itself gets updated in a few years.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with Khanaris, as I usually do. :

I think that the tau fluff will remain mostly the same, them still being small and insignificant but surviving strangely well for such a small force. The most drastic change I could possibly think of would be a new race joins the empire or a grand and devastating new technology is discovered and through this new change the empire is now stronger then ever. Similar to what GW did with the vespid and sniper drones. Anything that big would probably have to wait for the next codex though. However the 5th edition FAQ update may make some big changes, you never know.
(Starts fantasizing about new battle suit and skimmer war gear)
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 07:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I expect nothing but the worst at this point. If we get another update at all within the next 10 years it'll probably be all negative...anything that's even remotely good will be gone, the background will likely go in the direction the Ork codex took it, with Farsight being outsmarted by Orks and that thing about Tau "fighting for survival", or whatever. :

Consider yourself lucky if the Tyranids don't eat us.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Keep in mind however, Sid, that that "fighting for survival" theme in the Ork codex was very Farsight-specific.

The Tau will likely continue into the Fourth Sphere Expansion and keep going with their 'Dynamic Expansion' theme. They will also narrowly dodge most of the Splinters of Hive Fleet Kraken, keep the Orks at bay on all borders, and continue to survive against all odds - claiming the title of 'Luckiest Race in 40k' for good.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 22:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Now that I think off it,(since doombringer mentioned it) the tau can't exactly expand much farther without under going some serious changes. On one side they have the tyranid, the other the imperium/humanity(not just a bad thing), they have orks popping up all over, and then theres that eldar craftworld a little ways out(you would have to read the eldar codex to notice it).

If they continue into imperium space then they either have a ton of new gue'vesa, enough to make them a common part of the fire caste, or start up that blood bath with the space marines again, if the space marines aren't too busy elsewhere.
If Kraken gets any closer then the fire caste will probably have to specialize in anti-tyranid combat.
It's probably a ways off, if even possible, but if the tau ever do find that craftworld, imagine a tau/eldar alliance and the technology that comes out of that. I can see it now.........6th edition........THE RETURN OF THE SKIMMER! WA HA HA HA HA >
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 22:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I am not sure. Kraken is mostly just fragments now, and Eldar Craftworlds can move away or hide if threatened. There are Imperial worlds in the vicinity, but the density of control out there seems to be very minor. The biggest Imperial roadblock we know of anywhere close to the Tau is Ultramar. Orks are definitely a problem, though.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 08:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
I expect nothing but the worst at this point. If we get another update at all within the next 10 years it'll probably be all negative...anything that's even remotely good will be gone, the background will likely go in the direction the Ork codex took it, with Farsight being outsmarted by Orks and that thing about Tau "fighting for survival", or whatever. :

Don't forget that all codices go on about how marvelous there army is. They have to say that their army is superior to whatever they are facing otherwise players, especially young ones, would be put off. I find it a ridiculous concept that Orks would be able to 'outsmart' the Tau, given for the fact that they ar e basically a horde of baying gorillas (yet with technology somehow superior to everything else ???). The Tau kicked their ugly green hides to hell, and we all know it
Old 20 May 2008, 08:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've not seen this 'outsmarted the Tau' concept...orks? outsmarting? Is it in the ork book? I've only just bought that and don't have time (what with my exams in full swing) to read it through.

As far as expansion, I'm sure I read somewhere that they were leaving the Tau timeline where it is now. Might have been one of the GW store lackeys, but I've taken to ignoring them, they just try and sell me space marines all the time.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler

Don't forget that all codices go on about how marvelous there army is. They have to say that their army is superior to whatever they are facing otherwise players, especially young ones, would be put off. I find it a ridiculous concept that Orks would be able to 'outsmart' the Tau, given for the fact that they ar e basically a horde of baying gorillas (yet with technology somehow superior to everything else ???). The Tau kicked their ugly green hides to hell, and we all know it
Orks are more then capable of outsmarting anyone when they have the proper Warboss. Look at Grazzkhull, he soundly outsmarted the Imperium on Armageddon by using his "tellyporta" technology and landing ready made fortresses in Ork "Roks". It's true that he was tactically beaten by Yarrick, but that's not to say that he's not aa great General.

Orks are crude, but not necessarily stupid. They just employ tactics no other race would use because they're more than willing to take the casualties in exchange for the fighting.

Orks don't even need to win to keep coming, they have no concept of losing. If they win, they head off to another planet for another fight, if they don't, other Orks hear about the big Waagh!! going down and decide they'd like to test their Slugga. As is the case of Armaggeddon, which the Orks view as a place of almost religious significance due to the two massive Waaghs! that went down there.

So please don't insinuate that Orks cannot win against Tau, as they'd be more than content to keep advancing until the Fire Warriors run out of ammo. At which point the Orks rush forward and unleash a lot of Dakka.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote