Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The objective and realistic strength of Tau in 5th.
Old 18 May 2008, 14:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The objective and realistic strength of Tau in 5th.

Some of the recent posts have really alarmed me, and so I would like to contain the damage before I buy more units.

The question is: how good will tau really be? Which armies will they still be able to beat? Will they be able to beat Deamon Hunters? And how bed actually is bed?
slo_tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 15:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The objective and realistic strength of Tau in 5th.

Wait until the book comes out is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Tactics are already being discussed to counter some of our nerfs.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 15:39   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I'll say the same thing I said in the other post like this:

Until we actually see the book - don't listen to the naysayers.

And there is no reason to give up Tau, we will be fine. We will need a tweak, yeah, but so will a lot of armies.

No point making mountains out of molehills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 15:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think every army is going to witness a few changes with the coming of 5th edition, but I don't think its going to be enough that any army will be unplayable.

First thing to remember - the leaked rulebooks we currently have were several months old when they were first leaked. There's really no telling what will remain the same from that rulebook when the real 5th edition finally comes out.

That being said, going by the rulebooks we currently have, I for one haven't noted anything that looks particularly negative towards Tau.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 16:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The rulebook will change Tau. However, while certain strategies will no longer be as powerful as they are now, there will be other possibilities that will become viable.

After all, what would be the point of a new edition if no army had its various strategies changed about?

Don't listen to the whingers. If there were no change to Tau, these same people would complain about how it would allegedly make all other armies more powerful, forcing them to buy a new book while leaving them out in the cold.

My point in a flash, new edition=> new strategies.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

well put Broker. i for one am rather lookin forwad to it. yea some of our tactics are nerfed, but so will everyone elses. its gonna be great fun finding all the great new possibilties to include in new tactics. so stop whinining n start planning. Tau are still for the greater good n our guns are still bigger n better than everyone elses.

"BRING IT ON!!" i say
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think you people not standing up for yourselves is a big part of why GW has done what it has to the Tau list over the years. There is a limit to how far in the sand you can jam your head. This is not whining. If these issues are not discussed, GW is just going to putter along as if nothing is the matter and then release another half-assed Tau book for 5th.

Tau guns are not better than what everyone else has. They have always been out-shot by Imperial Guard, and the new Chaos Space Marine list has vastly superior options at medium ranges. The Tau do have solid options on some of their units. Their advantage over the armies that can out-shoot them is supposed to be maneuverability and to a lesser extent range. Their advantage over close combat armies was their ability to wipe out transports and mop up survivors as they walked out. But both of these seem to have taken a hit.

I certainly wouldn't throw your Tau away. But I would definitely wait a few months before completing a mechanized army. Most armies will be changed a little by 5th Edition. I will be dropping Land Speeders out and replacing them with something else. But I think most Tau lists are in for a very severe shake-up, with only a few Eldar builds being effected more.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I think you people not standing up for yourselves is a big part of why GW has done what it has to the Tau list over the years. There is a limit to how far in the sand you can jam your head. This is not whining. If these issues are not discussed, GW is just going to putter along as if nothing is the matter and then release another half-assed Tau book for 5th.
I think they're talking about the more "I'm going to sell my Tau on e-bay cause 5th edition is going to suck" kind of whiners, not people who debate the pros and cons of the rumours. Though I could be wrong. I really don't see how looking forward to the new challenges of 5th edition rules is "not standing up for yourself." But thats my 2 cent.
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
TheFuzz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 20:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "Looking forward to challenges". I certainly don't blame Tau players for persevering in the face of a harder environment or for trying to keep a positive outlook about changes. But I think there is a significant problem developing with regard to how the Tau fit into the current GW's ideas about the game. I do not see any point in ignoring it, since it has gotten progressively worse with every new book GW has released.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 21:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "Looking forward to challenges". I certainly don't blame Tau player for persevering in the face of a harder environment or for trying to keep a positive outlook about changes. But I think there is a significant problem developing with regard to how the Tau fit into the current GW's ideas about the game. I do not see any point in ignoring it, since it has gotten progressively worse with every new book GW has released.
This may seem like a stupid response, but oh well. I wouldn't know about previous editions cause I started with fourth, so I sort of don't know what this developing problem is you're talking about. Either way, I don't think gw would just say "you know what, screw the Tau!" And backhand them out of the realms of competition to the point they're unplayable or are at a disadvantage. They should be able to go toe to toe with all other races, just differently then they had been before. Footsloggers of fury ???
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
TheFuzz... is offline   Reply With Quote