Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vrs Boosting Necs
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2005, 18:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau vrs Boosting Necs

While playing at a tourny, I went up against a nec player who used (in every game) a large amount of turbo boosting units, i.e. squads of scarabs, a lord, and 5 wraiths. He got first turn and turbo'd up to within a few inches of the large portion of my army (right side of playing field) and on the second turn I had lost 3 broadsides, a squad of firewarriors, and a hammerhead that had gotten stuck in the corner. I eventually won the battle by jumping crisis suits and stealths all over the place, as well as using my other hammerhead to punch out the lord, but it was a close and very hard battle. Any suggestions on what to use without becoming a fully mechanized tau?
Old 24 Apr 2005, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Tau vrs Boosting Necs

It's actually quite difficult, however, turbo-necron armies are generally:
  • (a) low in numbers
    (b) low numbers of squads
    (c) don't get back up easily
    (d) don't do much shooting.

Quite simply, you can win by overwhelming them with either focused fire or outnumbered combat. In that sense, think of massed firewarriors from within a Devilfish--24 rapidfire shots will make a mess of 3 little Wraiths. A bunch of Kroot will easily overwhelm most other turbo-boosting necron units in combat with that initiative and sheer numbers. Scarabs are vulnerable to blast templates, so a submunition round will kill them outright (instakill) and negate their armor save. The necron lord actually would fall easiest to Missile Pod fire, but a smart player will have a 4+ invulnerable save on his Destroyer body Lord, so plasma and fusion will not be as useful, though it still will be useful.

Destroyers and Scarabs are generally easy to beat in combat or the shooting phase when they're turbo boosting. Destroyer Body Lords and Wraiths are simply too fast and resilient and require sheer volume to win in combat and the shooting phase--though shooting is preferable.

You don't have to go pure mech at all. Simply take more numbers and stick together--he cannot assault you or shoot the turn he turbo-boosts. So that means you can waste his scarabs with S6+ weaponry insta-killing them and the Railgun submunition is perfect for that. The wraiths fall easily to rapidfire pulse rifles as they are weak--knock 3 down and they never come back, pretty easy to do that. Kroot are wonderful against Destroyer Lords, otherwise, load him with pulserifles, bustcannons and missile pods and he'll fall relatively quickly.
  • Focus Your Fire
    • Rapidfire works very well against Wraiths and Destroys and even Destroyer Body Lords
    • AP is not really an issue, so focus on volume, most of the tougher targets will have invulnerable saves, where volume takes precedence
    Target Selection
    • Use submuntions on Scarabs; or use Missile Pods or Plasma - Strength 6 takes them out instantly
    • Know who to take in combat--Kroot can take out a Destroy Lord, but not really Wraiths (wraiths will hit and kill too many Kroot before they strike)
    Transports
    • Transports are dangerous against Necrons, however it does block an assault. If your opponent has low amounts of guns firing at you, a Devilfish can make a big difference.

However - it would be useful to know what your army list looks like (unit wise) and perhaps what his army list looks like (unit wise). It will help with figuring out where to strike and how to use the units.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 20:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally I would have fielded at least 2 Hammerheads and probably 3.

This is for exactly the reason that you unfortunately encounted. Broadsides are too vulnerable and a Hammerhead is IMo better. (There seems to be a lot of HH loving today )

I also don't agree with a pure Mech army and striking a balance is important, so is mobility.

Although I'm pleased you filled up all 3 HS slots, hoorah! Lots of death to those pesky Necron'Tyr (They are/will be one of my regular opponents).

The trick with Tau is a balance and it seems you have accomplished this. You now know of a new Tactic. I have heard of this with some sort of Lighting field that causes additional hits. I don't know much about Necrons having read their codex once only. It sounds nasty, but Tau won't be hitting as much so it's not as deadly, but still sounds very annoying.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 21:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Used 2 HH and 3 sides.

Anyway he fields 2 units of wraiths; 1 of 2 and 1 of 3, with the lord using his ic status to be protected from fire until the wraiths die.The lord also has an orb which means i need to kill all 5 wraiths to deny the wbb roll. The only turboboosting squads are wraiths + scarabs.

Also I dont use kroot - this is a campaign where the list can change every week but needs to say the same no matter what opponent I face. (I also dont own kroot) Aanyway I dont think kroot will be good when 4 people are using nids. And 2 are using IWs.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

VV1ld:

Well, I should call to your attention then, that a res orb does not mean that the Wraiths will be getting back up--they still require a like-model to perform their WBB rolls. So unless there's another Wraith around, they're in trouble as not even the Orb will save them. So if you drop a squad of Wraiths, watch to make sure they're not getting back up illegally without another Wraith that is still standing nearby.

If the only thing you're facing is a few Wraiths, Scarabs and the Destroyer Body Lord, you should be able to punish them with Volume. Kroot out the picture is fine, but just keep your firewarriors together and make your units work as teams--focus fire each squad until they're gone. Submunition those Scarabs to remove them in a single round and then punish Wraiths, squad by squad, until they're gone which shouldn't take much (a single squad of Firewarriors per squad of Wraiths can do it at 12 inch range). Then the Lord is all that is left and you can finish him with stealths, crisis fairly easily.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

wow, you seem to have a hostile gaming group ^-^

anyway, mass fire, if he wants to waste his army he can do it, just blow away what comes close, if he takes expensive units he has less models for phase out, you win :.

the really dangerous necron armies are the ones that consist merely of a solid mass of warriors, a monolith in >1000pts and a lord with the veil and some immortals to Veil with, that hurts.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 Apr 2005, 15:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to JarredHTG

Try putting flamers on those crisis suits too. Scarabs hate that LOTS, remember templates do double wounds with no cover save to swarms and no armor save in this case either. Probably fusion w/ multi or twin fusion for the other slots. Definetly watch out for the wraiths getting back up. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to knock all 5 down and then he can't get up without a nearby spider.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 17:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredHTG
Try putting flamers on those crisis suits too. Scarabs hate that LOTS, remember templates do double wounds with no cover save to swarms and no armor save in this case either. Probably fusion w/ multi or twin fusion for the other slots. Definetly watch out for the wraiths getting back up. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to knock all 5 down and then he can't get up without a nearby spider.
Flamers? Although what you say is true, you forget to mention one thing: *Ahem* Charge range! Lots of Turbo-Boosting Nec Armies take their scarbs and sacrifice them by putting them as close as possible to the enemy, forcing you to take a Ld test if you want to shoot at something that is far away from the scarbs...while you're consentrating on the Scarbs, the wriaths are right there to pounce through that piece of terrain to the left...Flamers just don't seem like the answer to me... :P
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

psshh only 5 wraiths...? :P I take 9 and a deckedout d-lord when i face tau 8) ;D

Bbut ya the weakness is numbers is number 1. Yes they have an insane inv. save but they only come in squads of 3 so enough firepower will make die and stay dead unless another wraith is nearby. Scarabs seem scary with 3 wounds but i think tau can take them out in cc as they have the same statline but worse armor, though it will take awhile because of 30 wounds
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to JarredHTG

Volume of Firewariors is more than enough to down the wraiths and flaming the scarabs is to prevent getting charged. Figure no matter what the wraiths have an invul so you you can't kill them with AP you need volume. Flamers will kill the most scarbs with the lowest number of shots invested. If you thin them out even tau can beat those little buggers in HtH. Besides if the wraiths are charging you from behind scenery then you can't see them and what else are you going to shoot at. The real lesson is to setup in such a way that any scenery he could hide behind would put him outside charge range as well.