Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to deal with Space Marines
Old 16 May 2008, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How to deal with Space Marines

Topic ideal stolen from brows..... Ok guys, I fight (mostly) just space marines. My brother owns just sm, and my friend owns a sm/ inquisition army. Could anyone supply some hints, tips on how to fight them more efficiently? I seem to lose... all the time. If i was to have one of those Wins: loses: Draws: thingys... it would look like this....
wins: 0
loses: like 43
daws: none
thanks!

[hr]

My army list is as follows...
1 crisis battle suit (fusion blaster, missile pod, plasma rifle)
6 honor guard fire warriors (pulse rifles)
1 ethereal (the six above fire warriors are his bodyguard)
12 fire warriors (pulse rifles)
12 vespid stingwings
1 sniper drone team
and (in the mail) one hammerhead gunship

A major damper to my list is the fact that I can't get kroot. Anyway, another question... I've seen

EDIT By RZ: Fixed your double post.

-Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

-never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience"

-"There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists."
Luker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 16:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How to deal with Space Marines

Well, it is compulsary to take at least one XV8 Commander, and at least one firewarrior team with another troop team (either kroot or firewarriors, excluding honour guard), so you need to do that.

Now, I don't really like ethereals against space marines, they can quite easily eliminate them, and send most of your army running for the hills. Also, space marines are quite good in combat, and can take out an ethereal, even with bodyguard. However, I'm unsure on how your enemies play, so it may be ok to have an ethereal, you just have to use it correctly.
The Stingwings are a good idea, with their AP3 guns, they can crumple a Space-marine's armour save and ensure they can pull off some sneaky flank attacks. Yes, they're quite a good idea in my opinion, but again, you have to fix them to the enemy's playing style.

I think you need more Crisis suits, given the correct gear, they can cause havoc for the enemy. I'm not sure on what you have planned for them, but I'm a big fan of the 2 weapons and Multi-tracker approach. So get a Plasma rifle in there, but perhaps a Fusion Blaster for the Tanks, or Missile pods for the scouts.
Finally, Sniper teams are a safe bet, they can slow the enemy advance, easily take out Rhinoes, Razorbacks, and more. I love Sniper teams against Space Marines and I'm glad you have a squad in your army, but perhaps you need another one? Perhaps you need to back it up with Firewarriors/Kroot to prevent them from getting killed?

I'm not sure about your other question. I think the only mercenary the tau can use outside their codex are the Gue'la.

Harlequin2 8)
Making clowning around, a profession...
Harlequin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin2
The Stingwings are a good idea, with their AP3 guns, they can crumple a Space-marine's armour save and ensure they can pull off some sneaky flank attacks. Yes, they're quite a good idea in my opinion, but again, you have to fix them to the enemy's playing style.

I'm not sure about your other question. I think the only mercenary the tau can use outside their codex are the Gue'la.
I don't like Stingwings, unless you are an excellent commander, they fold under any fire. They can't get away from squads either if they don't kill them all.

I love Sniper Drones as well! I also second the two squads suggestion!

Sadly, for RT tournaments (although local ones may have different rules) Chapter Approved is gone from official legality. This included our human helpers (we couldn't take Kroot mercenaries to begin with since we are supplied the worse kroot in our main rule book).

I would try a Helios configuration for your leader, possibly an Aurora build depending on your rolls. I also love Hammer heads (both configurations) depending on what your opponents are fielding.

Piranha squadrons can also be very devastating, but require more skill to use.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin

I would try a Helios configuration for your leader, possibly an Aurora build depending on your rolls. I also love Hammer heads (both configurations) depending on what your opponents are fielding.

Two questions with the above... ^ one, could you please define "helios" and "aurora" ? and two...with a choice (right now) between some piranhas or some crisis battle suits... which would you chose? I think I'll go for the crisis right now...but whats your opinion?

-never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience"

Old 16 May 2008, 19:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I'd go for lots of shots, or several AP2/3 shots, both of them will crumple the Marine's armour save. I recomd an Ionhead, as they have a ap3 large blast right? I dont play Tau so I dont know...

But yeah, volume of fire, or lots of low ap stuff should do the trick.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

As has already been said plenty of ionheads and plasma rifles
Old 16 May 2008, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker47
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin

Two questions with the above... ^ one, could you please define "helios" and "aurora" ? and two...with a choice (right now) between some piranhas or some crisis battle suits... which would you chose? I think I'll go for the crisis right now...but whats your opinion?
Helios suits are configured with a Multi-Tracker, Plasma Rifle, and a Fusion Blaster. Aurora configurations (actually one per army currently since the CIB is restricted) are Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, and a Multi-Tracker.

I can't answer the second question with 100% accuracy though. The use of either depends on your opponent(s). Different opponent tactics can mean huge differences in survivability ratios.

That being said, I would probably use Deathrains ( Twin missile pods and Targeting Array) over Piranha. They are just more survivable (and cheaper) to play in an army.

Icer - The Ionhead's main weapon has three ap 3 shots. A submunition shot from a Railhead is the large blast (at ap 4 though) weapon your thinking of.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Ah, was combining the two

I knew the Submunition, but, oh well.

Still, Ionhead.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unless the marines take a land raider the ionhead can also take care of tanks making it even more useful
Old 16 May 2008, 20:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no land raiders... but two different predator annihilators.