Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight *pics added 5/20/08*
Old 16 May 2008, 13:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Farsight *pics added 5/20/08*

Ok so Ive been looking at the rules for Commander Farsight (who hopefully wont be mangled in the new edition) and have a couple questions for anyone who uses him:

- When it states "Crisis battle suits become a 1+ choice like Firewarriors" is it suggesting you must take at least one unit of XV8s, or that they become a troop choice slot?

- Having had any experience using him in battles, whats your opinion of using him as a commander? Was he as or more successful then building your own commander from the basic rules?

- considdering he is the only crisis suit with a CC weapon, does taking the "up to 7" bodyguard unit with him make any sence?

I dislike the static look of the model, so I'm now completing my own scratch conversion of him (hopefully to be done for the competition) and will perhaps use him in games since the units he restricts to one choice I only have one choice's worth of each anyhow to field :P
Old 16 May 2008, 13:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Farsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Ok so Ive been looking at the rules for Commander Farsight (who hopefully wont be mangled in the new edition) and have a couple questions for anyone who uses him:

- When it states "Crisis battle suits become a 1+ choice like Firewarriors" is it suggesting you must take at least one unit of XV8s, or that they become a troop choice slot?
They're still elites, not troops. 1+ just means that you must have a squad of them.

Quote:
- Having had any experience using him in battles, whats your opinion of using him as a commander? Was he as or more successful then building your own commander from the basic rules?

- considdering he is the only crisis suit with a CC weapon, does taking the "up to 7" bodyguard unit with him make any sence?
Sorry, can't help you much here as I've never seen him in action, and it's unlikely I ever will use him because I like kroot too much! I know the possibility of an 8-suit HQ squad lets you put a sick amount of points in one unit if you want to, and that's probably the only place that a failsafe detonator would be worthwhile.

Quote:
I dislike the static look of the model, so I'm now completing my own scratch conversion of him (hopefully to be done for the competition) and will perhaps use him in games since the units he restricts to one choice I only have one choice's worth of each anyhow to field :P
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

imagine this. A unit of 7 crisis suits( with plasma rifles and missle pods) deepstrikes behind a baneblade in a game of apocolypse. That thing is dead.
personally i would use a normal commander, and you first question was answered above
Old 16 May 2008, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by alilamyman
imagine this. A unit of 7 crisis suits( with plasma rifles and missle pods) deepstrikes behind a baneblade in a game of apocolypse. That thing is dead.
personally i would use a normal commander, and you first question was answered above
Unless this uber expensive unit hits the baneblade destroying it

But I get annoyed that you need to take a second commander with farsight
Old 16 May 2008, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilamyman
Unless this uber expensive unit hits the baneblade destroying it

But I get annoyed that you need to take a second commander with farsight
That's what he said. Not a "they" but "that".

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 20:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well if you take a second commander youre just geting more suits on the field anyhow. Id never take a 7 suit unit, because yes it would be ungodly expensive. Unless you could armd them with CC weapons or something they could get from farsight nobody else could get.

What Im more looking for here is some ACTUAL use of the character in games and how well or not he played out.
Old 17 May 2008, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use farsight to support a decked out Ninja'O.
Basically the duo runs forward, shoots then assaults whats left. They've stood toe-to-toe with a melee Hive Tyrant and came out victorious. Never underestimate a powerweapon with O'Shovahs statline. The Invul save works nicely as well.

Sometimes I add in two body guards to help the Ninja'O take out the enemies that don't need a power weapon or just try to get a wound on those who do. Markerlights can help to get maybe 4 wounds on terminators or 3 on Tyranid Monstrous creatures before the devastating assault finishes the squad.

Squad is set up as follows:

O'Shovah-As Codex
Shas'vre- Plasma/Targeting Array/Shield Gen/HW Target lock/Failsafe detonator
Shas'vre-Plasma/Targeting Array/Shield Gen
Shas'o-Plasma/Shield/Vectored/Stimulants/Iridium Armour
410 points of Crisis Plasma then Melee power.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 14:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Farsight *pics added 5/20/08*

Col. Angus: I split the topic from your pictures, and moved that section to the conversion boards.
That's where it should be.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 16:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No Problem. Im still wanting as much freedback from people about using the character in battles so I can plan rosters based on the functunality of him as a choice. Ive gotten so used to not being able to use characters in tournaments, I generally dont play them. But if I were to take one I think this might be the guy.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black

equip 4 or so shas'vre with a burst cannon/flamer combo for an extra CQC punch on the cheap.

And, plus how good are any one else's retinues, none usually come with power weapons and crisis suits come with lots of wounds and lots of attacks at str 5, plus jet packs and far Superior shooting

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote