Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau: Unplayable in 5th?
Old 15 May 2008, 15:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Tau: Unplayable in 5th?

I've already shelfed my Tau army in preparation for 5th ed; here's why.

+Fleet for everyone. Yes, I'm well aware that you can't charge on the turn that you fleet, but you're STILL getting closer, faster. The only defense against that is Rapid Fire or running away. Neither are that reassuring (Tau BS and tactics).

+Skimmer nerf. If you thought our vehicles were easy to kill before, they may as well be made out of paper in 5th ed. Yes, Eldar vehicles are ridiculous. No, Tau aren't Eldar. Our vehicles are overpointed, and with the new rules, completely unusable. I'll give an example. A Devilfish. We all know how expensive they are. Now, under the new rules, they are even more fragile and guess what else? [see below]

+Defensive weapon nerf! Yes that's right, anything Str4 or below are counted as defensive in 5th. What's that? Your SMS and Burst cannons? Those are primary weapons. And no, you can't fire them both unless you're stationary. But you're a skimmer so you need to keep moving to get your meager 5+invul against pen? Well looks like for nearly 100pts a tank, you're only firing one STR5 weapon a turn. Maybe we should talk to a Rogue Trader and try to import some Storm Bolters for our tanks, or maybe duct-tape some Kroot on the sides.

Tau will be completely unplayable in 5th until GW fixes them with a fantastic new codex years from now. Oh wait, we're Tau and GW hates us. That fantastic new codex? A minor revised version of the current, maybe a 5pt points cut here or there, and some new flashy shiny wargear for Crisis Suits.

The Tau are dead to me.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 16:11   #2 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau: Unplayable in 5th?

That may be a little to harsh. While I will freely admit that the increased speed of every army hurts Tau a lot and our vehicles will be significantly overcosted we don't know what GW will do for the Tau in the 5th ed update pdf.

Also, don't forget that we do get a few new advantages. Our broadsides can shoot through terrain giving them the chance to kill vehicles anywhere on the board - no more Basilisk parked behind the trees never being touched. We also got the use of Markers while moving now and markers will help a lot in 5th. I'm sure there are more but you get the point.

The only thing that really worries me is the scouts starting from any side of the board rumor I heard.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I am withholding any rash decisions until I see the real deal rulebook.

If it stays how the current rules are rumored to be... I will likely be forced to moved to a new game system where the company cares about it's customers.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
That may be a little to harsh. While I will freely admit that the increased speed of every army hurts Tau a lot and our vehicles will be significantly overcosted we don't know what GW will do for the Tau in the 5th ed update pdf.

Also, don't forget that we do get a few new advantages. Our broadsides can shoot through terrain giving them the chance to kill vehicles anywhere on the board - no more Basilisk parked behind the trees never being touched. We also got the use of FB and Markers while moving now and markers will help a lot in 5th. I'm sure there are more but you get the point.

The only thing that really worries me is the scouts starting from any side of the board rumor I heard.
if with FB you mean fusion blaster it is assault so we can already do that
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 16:18   #5 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Is it assault? Oops, I never use them - I was thinking it was heavy.

Corrected.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 16:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Oh! And I forgot.

+Points cut on Rhinos (Roughly 1/3 the cost of a SINGLE Devilfish) plus the non-deathtrap rules for Transports in 5th. Meaning Rhino Rush is more than valid again, and those legions of Rhinos are filled with Space Marines that will be virtually unharmed when they exit. Not to mention they can Fleet whatever distance they fall short of.

In the new rules, Tau will have roughly 2 turns of unmolested shooting before they're over run or outflanked. After that they may as well pack up.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I wasn't aware that Rhinos were getting a points drop.

However, even with this, your Fire Warriors can glance a Rhino, so there's little to complain about. After all, didn't we just come from the era where it was possible to mass infiltrate marines?

Tau will probably get other boosts to compensate for the nerfs(which is,as far as I'm concerned, from an incomplete rulebook at best). After all, didn't they get upgrades before which let skimmers not be destroyed by Immobilized results, and an upgrade that allowed splitting fire?

Tau will be ok, GW aren't stupid enough to make a very popular army unplayable.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 17:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Maybe we'll get the fabled BS 4 we should have had...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 18:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

you should not dount tau when they reach combat. Sure they may not be as good as other races, but i have witness fire warriors beet choas bikers in combat. It will still be possible to win
Old 15 May 2008, 18:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

But not something worth banking on

I think Tau armies in 5th may be more static