Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So, I want to get back into Warhammer 40k... (Could I beg for some advice?)
Old 12 May 2008, 22:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default So, I want to get back into Warhammer 40k... (Could I beg for some advice?)

Howdy fellow Tau players! You can call me Macc. I have not played Warhammer 40k since I was in highschool, but for some reason unknown to me I decided I want to get back in it. With finals ending for me this Friday, I will be gifted with about 3 months worth of free time and I want to paint! I have a few questions about what has happened to Warhammer 40k since I last played *about 4 years ago* and a few questions as far as the hobby of modeling a Tau army.

Here goes...

1. I have a fairly large collection of badly painted Tau models, is it possible to fix them by spray painting a new coat of black and starting fresh from there? * I used to paint straight out of the jar and I have read that doing so is extremely inefficient and leaves your models looking sticky *

2. I want to make some conversions of my existing models to give them more personality, but they are already put together and painted. Yet again, can I fix them? Or should I buy new models? *A particularly difficult conversion I want to make is having a team of Broadsides wielding railguns with their arms rather than on their backs*

3. I want to play a Farsight Enclave *I want to create my own farsight model using a Tau commander Crisis Suit and parts from other tau models I don't plan on using anymore.

4. What is your stance on "green stuff" I hope I can sculpt many things with it like capes for my firewarriors and maybe a sword for my take on Commander Farsight. Is there any advice you can give as to doing this?

Forgive me for my jumbled mess of questions and ramblings, but if you can give any tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

~Thank you for your time m_ _m
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: So, I want to get back into Warhammer 40k... (Could I beg for some advice?)

For your broadside idea

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...ns/default.htm

Spraying primer over your models?

ive done it, theres hardly any detail left to paint, its a blob essentially, with no facial expression, like a soul of a corpse of what could have been the high school football captain dating the head cheer leader....they could have just went to vegas but NOOO they had to get married in a chapel at grace land

DAMN YOU CHARLIE!

anyways.

on green stuff.

adds interesting touches, for me to construct daemon prince wings I used tyranid claws and glued them into the back shoulder sockets. These form the structure.

then toss some green stuff on and you get a winged daemon prince with fleshy wings.

its fun if you know how to sculpt, and work with it. but for advice no idea, im not that good with it.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: So, I want to get back into Warhammer 40k... (Could I beg for some advice?)

Well I'm not a Tau player but I have been sneaking onto the Tau boards recently to check on the tactics that will be used against me. I'll try and help as much as I can though.

1: Base coating your models over again just doesn't work, like pepsi said, they look more like chaos spawns.

2: As long as you didn't go overboard with glue, it isn't that hard to pop the pieces off and place them in a different manner. You can shave off the built up spots of glue with a modeling knife. Give it a try before investing in new models. Forgeworld has some interesting broadside variants.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...TTLESUITS.html

3: I'm not a Tau player, so I can't help you here. I remember blowing up something called a farsight up once with a battle cannon, but thats all I know about them.

4: Greenstuff is overrated, and overpriced. Modelling putty can be bought by the tub at home depot for much cheaper and does the exact same thing. Swords are a bit tricky to model with putty though, but if you want a neat sword for your commander, I recommend just picking up a grey knight terminator, and take the sword he comes with, since it is both neat looking and enormous.

Hope that helps, you xenos scum.

The Emperor Protects
~Vallessian

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 23:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ya, you will need to get rid of the old paint, i use mean green (from the dollar store) you will need to go at it with a tooth brush, but it dosnt harm the plastic (my warriors were in it for a week).

u probably will be able to pop most of the stuff of if you try, i can get all except some stuborn heads off...

the broadsides sound cool, and you shouldnt have a big problem with it.

that is all i can think of right now... but good luck for the greater good ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Strangly enough, soaking miniatures in brake fluid can also help remove paint easily. However, while effective, this is limited to metal minatures, as it will warp the plastic.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Castrol superclean and a toothbrush have done it for me. If you used GW plastic glue, then you'll probably never get them apart.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 08:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you are looking to get plastic parts apart, I would just get an x-acto knife and try to make as clean of cuts as I could. If you have any metal on plastic mixes, the metal parts should come right off, unless you used GW glue, which is like freakin liquid nails.
Old 13 May 2008, 11:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i use modeling glue from hobby lobbie and it is hard to get apart sometimes, but if i slide a knife between the pieces it comes apart really well most of the time (just avoid your fingers) ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote