Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Seeker Missiles Underpowered/Overpriced?
Old 11 May 2008, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black
Default Are Seeker Missiles Underpowered/Overpriced?

This is a Topic which has been bugging me, and im sure it was mentioned before but.

Are Seeker Missiles Underpowered/Overpriced? because as is they are terribly infective in my army and i see them as a massive point sink, i am aware their they're good if you can flank or rear shoot with them but it's not particular easy with a Skyray

Also as is the Skyray has one of the weakest main weapons in the game as it can only fire 6x and aren't even accurate, 4+ for the markerlight and then 2+ for the missile means your firing with little better than ork accuracy

My proposition is to make them a blast weapon but drop a AP point (Str8 AP4 heavy1 blast)

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 03:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Are Seeker Missiles Underpowered/Overpriced?

I like seekers as they are.
20 points (seeker + markerlight) to give a firewarrior squad a pretty good chance of killling a light vehicle/character.

If you changed them to what you said, I believe they would be even worse off than they are now.
Blast, encourages you to fire at swarmy troops. AP4, no more instant death to marine characters.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 03:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I believe they are overpriced as they are now. I think the answer is to change how the Skyray works. If you gave it up to six shots per turn rather than per game, it would be worth it. It would instantly solve the problem of having no Heavy Weapons in Troops choices, and all it would do to Pathfinders is make them a less durable, less accurate, and shorter ranged version of a Devastator Squad (and with only Krak Missiles) that could be disarmed by killing a skimmer hiding in the backfield.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 03:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Pathfinders [...] a less durable, less accurate, and shorter ranged version of a Devastator Squad (and with only Krak Missiles)
Quoted for truth. Seeker missiles, as they are, turn a markerlight into a krak missile launcher - albeit one with BS2.5 and shorter range, which costs an average of 5 points each time you fire it. If any other army had that option for their troops choices, they'd laugh it off.

I'm reluctant to consider giving the Skyray six shots per turn, though, from an in-context viewpoint. It's only got six missiles on its rails. Where do the others come from?
Abanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 03:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Inside compartments. How they reload is another question.
The Skyray would be much better off with an internal missile bay, except then it'd be indistinguishable from devilfish.
Old 11 May 2008, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or the model could be changed so that it mounts six launchers, instead of six missiles.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 05:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to PenguinRunner

It does seem like it takes a lot of work to use a seeker missile w/ having to use markerlights first. The BS5 is nice for the seeker, but the BS3 of firing the markerlight reduces how much I like to use seekers. I think if I could have a character of BS4 fire the markerlight, I would use seekers more.
Old 11 May 2008, 07:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well...there is forgeworld.
The Skyray can get BS4 as well...
Ah, someday I gotta get a batrep of one of my seeker assaults, fired about 15 of the things in two turns, crippling most enemy armor before they can be used to cripple me.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I loath the things, I cannot find a single use for them, perhaps if the skyray could fire several per turn that would be good, 6 would be excessive. personaly I think that in whatever role you use them; light tanks characters etc. we have other weapons that fullfil the role far better. Fusion blasters, Tled missile pods and ion cannon/plasma rifles.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 11:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name
I loath the things, I cannot find a single use for them, perhaps if the skyray could fire several per turn that would be good, 6 would be excessive. personaly I think that in whatever role you use them; light tanks characters etc. we have other weapons that fullfil the role far better. Fusion blasters, Tled missile pods and ion cannon/plasma rifles.
Hey, don't diss the Sky Ray. That tank has saved my behind with a well timed volley of seekers on many occasions. The bonus markerlights are also helpful.

Still, it would be nice to have more than 6 shots per game sometimes.

@Khanaris: I think 6 per turn is a little over the top, even given the Sky Ray's price, unless you did something like the Carnifex regenerate trick for bringing back the missiles. (ie: for each one used, you get one back on a 6). That would give a balance between firepower and reloading I think.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote