Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pathfider question
Closed Thread
Old 23 Apr 2005, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default pathfider question

ok when it says that the pathfinders must select a devilfish does this mean that there has to atleast one devilfish in the army or does it mean its for the pathfider teams use only?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 02:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: pathfider question

It's a dedicated transport in the squad selection's rules. It must be a transport -for- the pathfinders.

There are two kinds of transports in the game: Dedicated and Non-Dedicated.

Dedicated transports are those purchased for a specific entry in your codex. Most commonly for troops. No matter who you purchase it for, it is a transport that is part of their entry, not just a broad spectrum transport. The reason for this is that the transport can only be used to transport this squad that it is dedicated to. It may not transport any other squad, even if they're destroyed. Though a character may join and hitch a ride for example only. The point is, transports that are listed in the same entry as an option for a squad of any kind, is dedicated. The Devilfish is always a dedicated transport in the Tau codex.

Non-Dedicated transports are those that can be purchased as an entry of their own, but also count as a transport. Land Raiders and Immolators for example are Transports, but also they are they're own entry in the codex. In these examples, they're heavy support selections, but in their rules, they are listed as a transport. Because they're non-dedicated to a specific squad in their entry, they may transport any unit that it is legal to do so with that meet the Criteria. The Tau do not have non-dedicated transports.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Cheers!
Old 23 Apr 2005, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi there. New to the board, but been lurking up until now. *Waves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX

The Tau do not have non-dedicated transports.
So, setting aside Pathfinders for a moment, if I buy a Devilfish I have to assign a group of Fire Warriors to exclusivley use it?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 06:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Welcome Ratman

To answer you question, the answer is that to field your Devilfish, you would have to buy it as a squad upgrade (hence, dedicated) to either a Fire Warrior squad or a Pathfinder squad as they are the only two squads in the Tau codex that have them listed in their entries. Devilfish are not a troop selection on their own, they are upgrades to squads who have "transport" listed in their optional rules.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYcrimsonTEARS
ok when it says that the pathfinders must select a devilfish does this mean that there has to atleast one devilfish in the army or does it mean its for the pathfider teams use only?
FOr Fire Warriors, its optional to buy them a Devilfish as transport. But if you want to field a team of pathfinders, you MUST buy them a devilfish, even if its just sitting there, doing nothing. Its an obligatory upgrade for them.

WHat Malveaux was trying to say in a lot of words was the transport is bought for one squad. You cant buy a devilfish, transport one squad in it for a turn, hop it out and then transport another squad.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Apr 2005, 05:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I see. Thx guys.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont think thats very good. I mean say the pathfinders get wiped out, then you have got a tankshock vehicle thats it. Idea...
But yeah i dont like that rule i think that a trnsport sitting around should be able to pick up that 12 man firewarrior squad because they are about to over run by genestealers, assault marines, orks, etc. Come on it makes sense.
But those are the rules.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 02:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, pathfinders would be a lot more popular if you didn't have to take a fish with them.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 02:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If pathfinders did not require the Devilfish, they would be too good as a unit in my opinion. They would probably be fielded too often, and in units of 3. Imagine only having to pay the price of 8 pathfinders, 3 times, to fill your fast attack knowing it was under 100 points for a full squad each time and that they all had the scout move and everything and had 24 markerlights. Their abilities would far outweigh their price. To fix that issue, they simply make it mandatory to take a Devilfish, which isn't such a hindrance really, as it carries seeker missiles and can still function as a unit itself with 5 S5 shots against opponents.

Then think of Pathfinders with Railrifles. Who needs a Crisis suit when I have a fast attack unit that always deploys, deploys last and takes a free move before the game that is packing anti-power armor weaponry that pins at very long range without having to take the transport. Now multiple that by three and you have the reason why Devilfish are mandatory.

Quite simply -- it would be too good.

But we can dream right?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 02:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just as Mal said, the Pathfinders must take a Devifish, and it can only transport the PF, not any other unit.
lol...but Mal said it better!
Closed Thread