Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau need tatical advice
Old 06 May 2008, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau need tatical advice

I'm just starting a Tau army (haven't even put my Fire Warriors together yet), and I need some tactical advice. I keep seeing things like Fish of Death and such, I know they are tactical deployments for the Tau but they don't make sense to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me what the breakdowns of these deployments are. :-\
exinfris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2008, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to Tau need tatical advice

Fish of fury.

your firewarriors will be inside the devilfish (vehicle). Then it will move forward and drop off the firewarriors. At this point youll be shooting like mad.

people like it because it usually stops your enemy from attacking you in combat.

but you can still be shot at.

(I wouldnt worry about this right now.)

----

since your new lets get an idea of what you want to do. Do you want to play a close combat tau army?

a shooting tau army?

a tau army that moves alot?

or a tau army that stands still?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 00:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
Fish of fury.

your firewarriors will be inside the devilfish (vehicle). Then it will move forward and drop off the firewarriors. At this point you ll be shooting like mad.

people like it because it usually stops your enemy from attacking you in combat.

but you can still be shot at.

(I wouldn't worry about this right now.)

----

since your new lets get an idea of what you want to do. Do you want to play a close combat tau army?

a shooting tau army?

a tau army that moves a lot?

or a tau army that stands still?
What he said. Anyways with 5Th edition around the corner you may want to wait a bit. What I think he is trying to get across is do you want 1.) a mech army (an army straightly uses mobility such as tanks, drones and Crissis suits), a static army (packs a lot of fire power but gets overrun by quick infantry if you fail to kill them all) 3.) hybrid everything in between. If you decide to go mech don't go all drones. I have seen too many beginners do this. They don't have good enough stats to be your main foot troops. From mech you coud do several things. You could 1.) include a lot of suits 2.) a lot of tanks 3.) a medium amount of both. If you decide to go suits think no matter how tempted you are don't get Farsight until you have got a hold of the game mechanics and how your army works.
If you want an all suit army you want; a large amount of customibilty, heavy weapons, and a mobile force. With suits you must remember several things. First, you will be point heavy and will be outnumbered in most cases. Second, suits can be customized for nearly any situation and can be overwhelming with your options. Thirdly, don't try to have a squad do everything as they usually need to shoot at the same target. Sometimes it is better to have several 'monats' (which is a single battlesuit) to fulfill battle rolls then mix them up and having them trip over each other. Fourth, don't deepstrike if the table is mistily covered in terrain with a horde army (nids, orks etc). Try playing a couple of battles with your battlesuits at a smaller level to feel how they work. Last of all remember to use JSJ which is Jump Shoot Jump which is a very basic Tau maneuver when in the move phase with the Tau jump pack you move 6 inches out from behind cover and then you shoot the enemy. After shooting you jump back in the assault phase behind cover making it harder(not impossible) for them to shoot or assault you. Also with your commander try not to go lunatic point crazy if you are in a small game. Don't forget about stealth suits. They tend to be ignored because of the risk of not hitting them and they seem less vicious then there crisis suit brethren. But they may also take 1 upgrade from the suit armoury. Shooting at light armour or the rear armour of tanks with a bare minimum 90 point squad you get 9 S 5 Ap 5 shots. You would have a pretty good chance of at least damaging a tank that is lightly armoured or in the rear (with the exception of a necron monolith and space marine Landraider). They also do a good job in 'crowd' control of horde armies.
If you want a static army it tends to have 'massive' fire power compared to any other Tau list. The static players forfeit mobility for fire power. Against most oppone ts they would be shot to pieces. But, with fast moving opponents such as Ork Speed Freaks and Nids you must watch out for as they have a bad habit of getting you tied in H2H (hand to hand combat). If you go static shoot at tanks and fast moving units first, watch for bikes; bikes are evil, if you see bikes shoot it dead then nuke it. Several tactics are 'leapfrogging' where you move up the board with Firewarriors in the rear and Kroot in the front and moving towards any objectives. Another recommended static tactic is a heavy kroot infiltration. Where you infiltrate large amounts of Kroot in the middle of the table and controlling all the terrain. Forcing your oppone ts to waste fire shooting at kroot instead of more 'valuable' units. Many a time has my kroot taken 2 or 3 rounds of fire leaving my main army untouched. By then hopefully you have taken out all their threatening units. The one thing to hope for is that they underestimate your large amounts of Kroot. If they just sit back and shoot you will control over half the board and be able to get in better shooting positions and more likely win. Second, if they are a heavy assault tank army they might get in front of the kroot exposing their rear army which on average is 10. Now with 30+ kroot rapid firing into the rear of a tank there is a good chance of damaging it behind any use. Try to get assaulted in terrain by kroot so that way they will have I 10 unless they have grenades :P, assault any unit with those evil grenades.
Next you have a mech army. A mech army values mobility over sheer fire power. If you decide to play Mech Tau remember that just because your mech doesn't mean your the fastest army around. A lot of armies will move faster then you will. The point of Mech Tau is to avoid Fire while accurately disabling your enemy. Mech armies usually include several firewarrior squads in a devilfish transport and several Hammer Heads (sometimes referred to as HH) and skyrays. Mech armies tend to charge fall back and charge again. First you set up as far up the board as you can you move maximum distance that you can shoot (with the tank upgrade in the armoury) your main weapon with your Hammer Heads. You then aim at anything that can seriously damage/destroy any of your tanks. You then get them to charge towards you as you slowly fall back and taking down the biggest threats your suits and devilfish stay back about moving distance. By the time your enemy reaches you, you should have 1.) taken down all fast stuff 2.) most heavy weapons and 3.) vehicles. By the time they reach you they should have most of their troops and non-tank killers left. Use your DF to FoF (it's good in pairs) them to little pieces.
Old 07 May 2008, 00:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's right (as far as I read), but it is a lot to read... and you really do want to decide on this stuff now, before you are up to your eyes in skimmers and decide you don't like them...
EDIT By RZ: Spelling, Grammar. This is a forum, not a chat room, please act like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 16:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks guys,
There are a couple of Tau players in my gaming group. I have watched them several times (most of the time) get wiped out by turn 4 or 5.

One puts alot of suits on the table with a couple of DF loaded with FW's, with HH or suits for HS.
The other never puts out the same list twice, but has alot of sniper drones.

I myself was thinking of a CO with bodyguard, 3 FW squads w/ DF, Kroot, 1 or 2 units of stealth suits, and I'm currently undecided on HS.
exinfris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 23:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

at the minimum get a hammer head.

That way you can get an anti tank weapon, or an anti horde weapon. (get the skyray box, it has a rail gun, ion cannon, and the skyray missiles. )

for what you get its not a bad idea. (employing just 1 can save your bacon against tyranids.)
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 00:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
That's right (as far as I read), but it is a lot to read... and you really do want to decide on this stuff now, before you are up to your eyes in skimmers and decide you don't like them...
EDIT By RZ: Spelling, Grammar. This is a forum, not a chat room, please act like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
at the minimum get a hammer head.

That way you can get an anti tank weapon, or an anti horde weapon. (get the skyray box, it has a rail gun, ion cannon, and the skyray missiles. )

for what you get its not a bad idea. (employing just 1 can save your bacon against tyranids.)
Sorry (guys), I was in a rush my dad needed to use it (I wasn't even finished yet :P). Always get the skyray box. For the same price you can customize your tank to be a Devilfish, Hammerhead, or Skyray just like the above quote said. Try buying most of your army used or on eBay it's cheaper mostly (except for exceptionally painted models). I would recommend going hybrid. Get at least 2 Hammerheads and never glue the weapons on (so you can change the weapons around like from Ion, to devilfish to Skyray). Get a lot of Kroot if you play on tables with a lot of terrain (like me ;D)). They will absorb a lot of fire power. After getting my Marine army I'm planning on getting 3 boxes of kroot. I've had 20 kroot survive 3 shooting phases from Armoured Company IG and Space Marine allies (they were in a bunker and got a 2+ cover save 8)) without going half under strength. One last strategy, always control the terrain with your kroot. This will force your enemy in the open allowing you to deny them cover when they charge up the board towards you. Make them take the easy rout, you can manipulate them and kill them as you wish. You will have control of the battlefield, they will be playing your game with your rules. As a bonus it prevents Deepstrikers from landing near you, especially since they have the nasty reputation for having strong short ranged weapons. Hoped that helped...... Orkkrusher out.