Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Will 5th edition kill the battle suit army?
Old 05 May 2008, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Will 5th edition kill the battle suit army?

Just bought the Rapid insertion force to start my Tau army. I was thinking of using mostly battle suits, but now with only troops counting as scoring in 5th edition it pretty much kills this army. Will Tau be competitive in 5th edition? Seems to me these new rules help Marines and Orks more than any others. What are your thoughts.

<><
BLACK_TEMPLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Will 5th edition kill the battle suit army?

Rumors on the Fifth Edition (release day slated as July 12th, 2008) have it that a troop unit will be considered as scoring as long as it has at least one member left and has not lost a leadership roll and is still retreating at the end of the game. The simplification of the number and type of game scenario's will also limit objectives and hence devalue troops as objective takers/holders.

The Tau army list already has a wonderful troop listing of the Kroot to fulfil this role.

I believe that the Tau will be okay in Fifth.

Best Regards,
Old 05 May 2008, 04:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fire warrior teams toting devilfish transport will become MORE valuable. Since suits won't count as scoring, I think it'll open us up to new tactics never tried before for fear of losing our suits. Static will still be viable; mass firewarriors leapfrogging up the field keeping firing arcs overlapping with broadsides holding the back. Hybrid will still be viable; suits JSJing assaulters or troops with HH in the back moving their dastardly 7 inches, kroot and firewarriors keeping your valuable pathfinders safe while they light up tanks. Mech will still be viable; forced flank tactics, everything moving over 12 inches pushing the enemy back to make room for your Devilfish Fire warrior teams to drop off their men.

Suit Armies with the two 6 man FW squads WILL get nerfed, but it isn't THAT bad to have to take a couple extra squads of the best standard shooting troop in the game just to make it possible to win. Having lots of suits will still be a very deadly force, its just you'll have to balance your armies a little more than you used to.

Look at the flipside; suits get BETTER. This new rule applies to everyone, meaning that ALL armies will be taking more troops than they used to. What do stealth and crisis suits take out best? Normal troops. Fast assualters, Necron Destroyers, Tanks CAN all be taken out by a specialized crisis team, but missile pods, burst cannons, plasma rifles can tear through any armies basic troop with ease. With those three weapon choices (I didn't even include the flamer) you can obliterate any basic troop; from 4 pt gaunt to 25 (?) pt grey knights.

My only worry is that everything and their grandmother will start getting cover saves, which means shooting armies will be DRASTICALLY worse than their were before; and since Tau don't do close combat....that might be a bummer.

I just hope they don't push my little group of warhammer 40k friends over the edge. Having to buy another book makes them mad, and if they ruin any of there armies I'll have no one to play with.
Old 05 May 2008, 07:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVEATCH
Rumors on the Fifth Edition (release day slated as July 12th, 2008) have it that a troop unit will be considered as scoring as long as it has at least one member left and has not lost a leadership roll and is still retreating at the end of the game. The simplification of the number and type of game scenario's will also limit objectives and hence devalue troops as objective takers/holders.

The Tau army list already has a wonderful troop listing of the Kroot to fulfil this role.

I believe that the Tau will be okay in Fifth.

Best Regards,
Trying not to Hijack this thread but the loss of the Warfish is a big blow to Tau. by that I mean not being able to shoot its secondary Str 5 weapons after a full move has really hurt the Tau and Mech armies.

I wonder, if the suit army will be better now.

If a suit does a full move 6", then runs 6", and uses it Assault move 6". Will that be a legal thing. 18" in one turn.

Sorry, have not read completely into the 5th rumors because I am waiting to buy the book but from what I have read (remember), this seem possible.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 07:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And as the rumors suggest that the suits can move and fire with heavy weapons now, marker drones can be spread throught the crisis suit units, making marker lights more flexable. (and as they are networked, they can help the squad that is shooting.)

*Shudder* I just thought of what the Farsight list could do with 4-6 networked markerlights in that massave HQ squad.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 08:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dude, with those new suit rules, Broadsides might not need ASS at all. TL BS4 MOBILE Railguns.
Das Boogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 08:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry no. Jet packs get those rules and broadsides do not have Jet packs. I should have been clearer in my first post.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 11:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you guys are forgetting the two best parts of it, ya you cant score with suits but they do drop lots of infantry well as you hide your fire warriors in the devilfish.

also if they allow you to JSJ with heavie weapons you can use markerlights ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 17:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm so fearful of 5th ed that I'm actually not buying anything until I know that Tau aren't getting screwed over.

When they say 'troops', I presume that they mean the 'troops' army list section; as the XV suits technically aren't vehicles as they don't have vehicle armour.

Oh Shtlk, the new Ork Codex lets them have bikes, Dreadnoughts and possibly other stuff as 'troops' with the right HQ choices. :sadnshocked:
Old 05 May 2008, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
I'm so fearful of 5th ed that I'm actually not buying anything until I know that Tau aren't getting screwed over.

When they say 'troops', I presume that they mean the 'troops' army list section; as the XV suits technically aren't vehicles as they don't have vehicle armour.

Oh Shtlk, the new Ork Codex lets them have bikes, Dreadnoughts and possibly other stuff as 'troops' with the right HQ choices. :sadnshocked:
That is exactly what I am doing right now.

If it's as bad as they say... Five or six out of twenty plus players in my shop have agreed to continue to use the fourth edition rules.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote