Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Knights?
Old 01 May 2008, 01:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Knights?

Now every now and again I've been hearing stories about Tau knights? Now i don't understand exactly what or who they are, I have allot of ideas for a friends army and was asking if anyone with even a little knowledge would fill me in. I need to know the who, what, where, and how.

Thanks in advance!
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Tau Knights?

The term "Knight" as used in 40k describes a class of mini-titans. Imperial Knights are given to nobles in Mechanicus controlled feudal agri-worlds, and they occasionally go to war alongside the Mechanicus. Eldar Exodites use their own Knight titans as well.

About the Tau, they don't use titan-type vehicles. The closest thing to a Knight would be a Crisis suit.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 02:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Seems funny that a force with so many walkers running around by default don't have a Super Robot of their own. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

My guess is that Crisis Suits scaled upward in the same way as Stealthsuits. So the Tau may still see them as a form of powered armor, rather than a vehicle. There is a logical jump involved in building humanoid vehicles that the Tau have not chosen to explore so far. The Imperium and the Eldar both had other reasons of building their vehicles to resemble their own physiology. The Orks too, actually.

That said, the ship-to-ship suits decribed in Rogue Star might be bigger than the other classes we know. If so, they might be equivalent in size to an Imperial or Eldar Knight, although they are apparently not useful on the ground.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 12:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Which is bigger, a "Knight" or a "Warhound"?

Are you guys sure he didn't mean "knight" like those dudes in shining armor?

Like in my sig? (well, with legs and horses and stuff...)
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 14:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

A Warhound is bigger. Knights are a little over half that height, or twice the height of a Leman Russ.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 09:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you may have misunderstood the title of Shas'vre which translates roughly to Knight/noble. you see, the tau prefer mobile warfare so they have little use for Titans but their technology isn't quite good enough to make a mobile titan like the Eldar. hence instead of Titans, the Tau use Manta Missile Destroyers which are both mobile and powerful.
Das Boogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 14:40   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Boogie Man
I think you may have misunderstood the title of Shas'vre which translates roughly to Knight/noble. you see, the tau prefer mobile warfare so they have little use for Titans but their technology isn't quite good enough to make a mobile titan like the Eldar. hence instead of Titans, the Tau use Manta Missile Destroyers which are both mobile and powerful.
Or, more probably, he's seen one of those insufferable Gundam Wing conversions, and heard people use the phrase "Tau Knight" as justification for the abhorrant blasphemy they have created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 23:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tau don't need Titans! They have the MOST useful super heavy unit in the game. Their super heavy can go from ground to orbit and then go FTL. Though it is WAAAAY slow as compared to true Warp travel*, but still good enough to get the hell out of Dodge when things go South BADLY!

* = I consider the ether drive on a Manta like Star Trek Warp drive. Good enough if you want to go 100 LY or so. Any futher and you'll want a true Warp drive.
Old 03 May 2008, 13:08   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I think that's an oversimplification. I have seen nothing to suggest the Tau are exempt from the normal restrictions of Warp Travel, and one of them is that if you want to jump without winding up inside a star, you have to do it on the edge of a system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote