Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where did the Ethereals come from?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 01:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR
Default Where did the Ethereals come from?

Where did the Etherals truly come from? The Codex states that there was a storm and these "Ethereals" came to lead the fighting Tau tribes together as one.
I personally got in a 2 hour conversation at my local game store and we believe that they are either sensitive to the Warp or that they are honestly Edlar edjucated Tau. What do you believe? I want to bring your opinions to the table this weekend.
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 02:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Where did the Etherals come from?

Short version:

Back when the Tau were killing each other off, a subset of all the castes realized that their race was doomed to extinction. They joined together apart from the other Tau and prayed for help from any that might hear.

By coincidence, their cries for aide were heard by either the Demiurg, individuals amongst the Eldar, or both. The elder races saw some promise in the fledgling Tau, and took these individuals away from T'au. In exchange for the means of saving the Tau race, the Demiurg and/or Eldar wanted a fast-growing species that could eventually fortify a stable corner of the galaxy where the nomadic races could take refuge from the forces of Imperium if the need arose.

They modified their physiology, giving them enhanced mental abilities and pheromonal control. They also helped them create a new philosophy combining the pragmatism and scientific outlook of the Demiurg with the rigid Path system of the Eldar. The elder races then returned them to T'au to stop the bloodshed, where they came to be known as the Ethereal caste.

I like this version because it involves the elder races without making it entirely their idea. In order to stand on their own, the Tau need to have some control over their own destiny.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR

Exactly! You said almost the exact fight I had. The Eldar wanted somewhere a nomadic species could go away from Nids and Space Marines. They thus modified their physiology and in exchange for a safe place.
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 02:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3AR
Exactly! You said almost the exact fight I had. The Eldar wanted somewhere a nomadic species could go away from Nids and Space Marines. They thus modified their physiology and in exchange for a safe place.
I think you are confusing the 'Elder' Races and the 'Eldar' Race . . . . .
Aun El Vre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 03:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have to agree with the above posts. Eldar intervention seems to be the most likely reason that the Tau still exist today. I think its believable that the Eldar had something to do with the Warp Storm appearing near the Tau system shortly before the Imperium had it marked for cleansing. And that they had something to do with the Ethereal caste showing up when they did.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 03:18   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The reason I don't like it being the Eldar alone is that the Tau obviously do fight the Eldar occasionally in the current era. It is also a little out-of-character for the Eldar on a whole to recognize their own shortcomings to the extent where they might try something like this. By involving the Demiurg as well, we can clarify those conflicts.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The reason I don't like it being the Eldar alone is that the Tau obviously do fight the Eldar occasionally in the current era. It is also a little out-of-character for the Eldar on a whole to recognize their own shortcomings to the extent where they might try something like this. By involving the Demiurg as well, we can clarify those conflicts.
The Eldar theory doesn't necessarily mean that the Eldar as a race decided to create the Ethereals. They could have been created by one Craftworld, so conflicts with other Eldar could still happen.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 16:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't see why it would be Eldar only. The codex does suggest that the Tau have been genetically engineered, that they're technological progression is abnormal, and that a very convenient warp storm shielded them during all this mysterious development. Id say the Ethereals were given something to help steward the race that previously didn't exist. Was that from the Eldar? I don't think so, since they wouldn't have much to gain from making a race that seems to have no issue with fighting them, and seems so foreign to their ways.

Could it be that its just something totally unencountered as of yet? Maybe a blue skinned version of the Buddha or some other entity not a chaos god? Or maybe the Ethereals were advanced all along, and the Tau clan wars brought forth a dark age after an apocalyptic war that only the Ethereal cast survived, to later draft the new order of peace for their people? Like if the worlds top scientists had to repopulate the world from a space station or bomb shelter. The genetic manipulations and influx of high technology could just be the Etherieals getting things back on track with the same technology they had before the global crisis, but using it after establishing a new peace as the social foundation so it wasn't used on themselves.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 17:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i don't see why its anyone. Sure, I've read Xenology, but I hold true to the original reason why the Tau were made a 40k race- the only species to not have any connection to the rest of the universe.

I don't believe the Eldar have the capacity to manufacture a race and I don't think the Demiurg fiddled with their biochemistry.

the Ethereal myths just have them showing up in and around the age of the Mont'au- and, yes, they saved the species. It's a successful history and so it seems unusual- human beings do the same thing in our own history (applying foreign powers to explain why we succeded).

The original designers wanted to insert a race with no psykers, no chaos influence, a race not created by the old ones- to quote Chambers 'imagine someone from star trek wandering into the 40k house on haunted hill'~GD
Old 30 Apr 2008, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just a thought.

All the worlds shamans and wise men died so that they might collectively be reborn as the Emperor of mankind.

Could something similar have happened with the Tau? But instead of one great Ethereal, a whole caste of them?

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote