Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Xv Stealth Suits
Old 27 Apr 2008, 16:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Sepher The Reckoner
Default Xv Stealth Suits

I could not find anything via search, so here i am.

It says in the tau empire codex that each stealth suit is allowed to pick one battlesuit support system. Does anyone find it worth it to do so? I was thinking of giving them targeting Arrays, but I am not sure if it is worth the points. Any suggestions?

Tau: Wins:0 Loss:0 Draw:0
Sepher The Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 16:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Xv Stealth Suits

Personally I have had some success with targeting arrays and would recommend it as a stealth team with TAs and burst cannons will get an average two shots per model hit every turn they fire.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are a few popular ideas with support systems and stealth teams. I usually use targeting arrays for the volume of fire.

Once and a while I will give a full team shield generators, two fusion blasters, and a vre with a target lock, for a crazy amount of points, and deep strike them somewhere very nasty. Great way to pop up and melta a tank of two but still survive for a little while. (maybe not the best idea, but I love it for knocking out those basilisks hiding on the other side of the board, behind size three cover)

Other then that, I have heard of some people taking all drone controllers and 12 gun drones. It's basically just a really big stealth team but now with pinning.
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Generally speaking, more bodies are better than TAs - the average hits of 4 Stealths w/o TAs and 3 Stealths w TA is exactly the same - 6 hits, for the same price - but the larger team has the option of boosting their hits with Markerlights, which basically let`s the bigger team come out on top.

I usually run them without any upgrades, since I feel it is just a waste of points; adding Gun Drones only enlargens their footprint, which is not really advisable.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One thing you can do is a mixture of TAs and BSFs.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerjigormDeExile
One thing you can do is a mixture of TAs and BSFs.
Why BSFs? Stealths already have acute senses, which should be enough for their 18" weapons...
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i don't get the argument about their 'footprint' adding drones is, in my opinion, silly not to take as it gives you two more wounds, the ability to pin, and some I 4 guys if you get caught.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
i don't get the argument about their 'footprint' adding drones is, in my opinion, silly not to take as it gives you two more wounds, the ability to pin, and some I 4 guys if you get caught.
Footprint is a valid argument, imo - first of all, it makes JSJ much more difficult - you won`t be able to completely hide anymore if you carry 6+ Drones around. Sure, they still have Stealth fields, but more often than not, you ALSO want to use terrain to your advantage - and with a 9+ big unit, this just isn`t possible anymore.

Movement suffers. As mentioned above, you canīt hide anymore; you need more room, and judging distances is more difficult - because of the bulk of the unit, you have to move closer to the enemy to actually fire ALL of your weapons - or you spread out, which is not really advisable, either. And if you get too close to the enemy, a single fleet might be enough to reach you.

Larger units are also much more vulnerable to blast weapons and indirect fire weapons - a small unit can easily be missed, but try missing a maxed out 18 strong unit!

Last but not least, there`s the psychology factor - a larger unit seems much more threatening and is a much more tempting target than a small skirmish unit. I find that smaller units usually get ignored outright, and are only dealt with if they are convenient targets - which means that quite often I find small Stealth teams occupying objectives at the end of the game.
A larger unit has usually a quite high priority for the enemy...

So, generally speaking, I prefer smaller units - I usually field 3 Stealths without any upgrades, or slightly bigger teams (biggest I`ve ever fielded was 6 suits and two Drones, though this already attracted waaay too much unwanted attention).

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 27 Apr 2008, 23:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Couldn't you also argue that if you take targeting arrays you can thus have a three man team that works as well as a four man team but have a even smaller foot print?

Unit of 6: 18*(1/2)=9 for 180points
Unit of 4: 12*(2/3)=8 for 130points

So a unit of 4 is 50 points less, i have something thats almost as affective as having a unit of 6 Stealth suits. If i go along the argument of have a small foot print is good than that means that having TAs are also good.

And stealth teams will never be able to be have units markerlighted for them all the time. Pathfinders will be busy markerlighting for major threats for either our tanks or Crisis teams. Most lists don't have that many markerlights to spare for what Stealth teams kill. So investing in TAs might actually be a really good idea IMO.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2008, 00:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepher The Reckoner
I could not find anything via search, so here i am.

It says in the tau empire codex that each stealth suit is allowed to pick one battlesuit support system. Does anyone find it worth it to do so? I was thinking of giving them targeting Arrays, but I am not sure if it is worth the points. Any suggestions?
I give them drone controllers, usually, and give them all pairs of Gun Drones.

That's a full dozen Drones for a maxed out squad. Sure, Novae can take them down pretty easily, but the withering firepower they provide is awesome. ;D

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote