Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ironic
Old 24 Apr 2008, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ironic

Does anyone else find it wierd that for a race like the Tau, who prefer ranged combat, all their special characters need to be close to the enemy to do damage?
Old 24 Apr 2008, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Ironic

well farsight trained heavily in combat, so it makes sense, and aun'va shouldn't be in combat anyway, so that doesn't matter.

I agree with you about shadow sun though. I mean, if you charge someone with leading your next expansion phase, would you put her in a small suits, near the enemy, and tell her to get on with it? I think she should have something different to 2 fusion blasters, its stupid

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 23:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboy5
well farsight trained heavily in combat, so it makes sense, and aun'va shouldn't be in combat anyway, so that doesn't matter.

I agree with you about shadow sun though. I mean, if you charge someone with leading your next expansion phase, would you put her in a small suits, near the enemy, and tell her to get on with it? I think she should have something different to 2 fusion blasters, its stupid
Well, the stealth field should protect her from any long-range fire, and she still has jump-shoot-jump to stay out of line of sight. Her weaponry is a last resort when a tank or monstrous creature has broken through everything else and has to be taken down RIGHT NOW! Shadowsun's real strength is the command-link drone, and using her as a suicidal tank-hunter earns a nomination for Best Way to Throw a Game.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The two special characters that I've made for the Tau, are ranged fighters.

One is La'Kais now that he's a Shas'o, the other is just Shadowsun with Plasma Rifles instead of Fusion Blasters.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Are we just counting GW special characters or are we also counting Forge World special characters? 'Cause Shas'o R'myr is meant more for ranged combat. Yes, he has Flechette Dischargers and a 3+ invo save in close combat, but that's only in case he gets into close combat. His Double Barrel Plasma Rifle makes him better at ranged combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I always thought Shadowsun was a joke considering Farsight is so much better. I mean, whats the point of the advanced Target lock if her weapons can only fire out to 12"? I agree that a stealth commander is nice but her weapons are stupid for the cost we have to pay.
Das Boogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:39   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think both Shadowsun and Farsight are pretty weak choices compared to the main-line Shas'O. I do wish they had given the Tau special characters more suited to the rest of the army.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboy5

Well, the stealth field should protect her from any long-range fire, and she still has jump-shoot-jump to stay out of line of sight. Her weaponry is a last resort when a tank or monstrous creature has broken through everything else and has to be taken down RIGHT NOW! Shadowsun's real strength is the command-link drone, and using her as a suicidal tank-hunter earns a nomination for Best Way to Throw a Game.
Couldnt have said it better myself. She is a perfect morale booster who is stealth and can kill the big boys that get close.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 03:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

These days, I won't leave home without Shadowsun in games over 2,000 pts. The biggest weakness of the Tau is leadership, and the Ethereal just doesn't cut it for mitigating morale mishaps. Shadowsun's leadership boosting abilities are so much better than an Ethereal's, plus her mobility, stealth armor, drone compliment, and armor/INV saves make her more mobile, durable, and most importantly, able to capture objectives. I can't count how many times her 175 points plopped on an objective have won me the game. She's so good, I'd bring her even if she didn't have any guns at all (heck, an Ethereal certainly doesn't). The fact that she has 2x BS5 Fusion Blasters is just icing on the cake. Comparing her to a Shas'O is apples and oranges; instead, consider her as an alternative to an Ethereal for a much more relevant comparison.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 04:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Shadowsun's leadership boosting abilities are so much better than an Ethereal's, plus her mobility, stealth armor, drone compliment, and armor/INV saves make her more mobile, durable, and most importantly, able to capture objectives. I can't count how many times her 175 points plopped on an objective have won me the game.
Wait: I thought you couldn't use Independent Characters to take objectives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote