Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition Tau- wha?
Old 23 Apr 2008, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 5th Edition Tau- wha?

I've been looking at the leaked PDF and some of the conversations on the site and I've come up with some unusual conclusions and queries.

With the Covering Fire rule (shooting through squads) it has effectively gotten rid of using Firewarrior teams as screens for Crisis squads moving up as there is no more Ld tests to try and fire at a target. With this change that means that the screens are even better since it will confer a 4+ cover save- in addition a Devilfish can now confer a 4+ cover save on the unit that climbs out, pretty good no?

I also think it might now make a little sense to give you Commander BS6 as it will now confer the same IG Marksman rule- i don't know if its worth it though.

Additionally- I wonder if the Hammerhead has gotten better with the new blast rules. If you just have to place then scatter its going to be hugely better as it already has a high BS and can place the blast in the ideal spot- but then the new rules state it won't be able to fire its Strength 5 weapons effectively turning almost every Tau vehicle into a 'pillbox.' However doesn't this just mean you give a Hammerhead a markerlight and it can fire both weapons after moving 6 inches and one if it moves 12? I don't see the problem everyone seems to have... Plus Pirhana's can now ram!!!

And one last observation- will all Vehicles that a seeker is targeted against gain a 3+ cover save? say it aint so!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 18:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: 5th Edition Tau- wha?

There are a lot of small-scale breaks implied by what I have read of the rule changes. I think GW is going to have to do some sort of clean-up for many of these issues. They can't put the codex updates in the rulebook since they are of course going to update the codexes slowly. But they may need to release extensive FAQs to bring some of them up to speed.

I do think 5th Edition is going to be an era of mainly Static Tau armies, though.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 18:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I do think 5th Edition is going to be an era of mainly Static Tau armies, though.
Yeah you think And IG will be swarms again. I hate transition periods like this.
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm not sure how IG will go. While skimmers seem to have taken a fairly significant relative hit, all vehicles are being made significantly more durable. A Leman Russ in hard cover is going to be harder to crack than it is now.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
I'm not sure how IG will go. While skimmers seem to have taken a fairly significant relative hit, all vehicles are being made significantly more durable. A Leman Russ in hard cover is going to be harder to crack than it is now.
I think that we will be seeing some very static IG armies, even more static than they are now. Perhaps SIGAFH will make a comeback.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The only thing that I have to wonder about for static gunlines is how they will be effected by the new LOS rules. It might make flanking even more dangerous than it is now, since the sides of a gunline may become blind spots without a complicated deployment pattern.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
The only thing that I have to wonder about for static gunlines is how they will be effected by the new LOS rules. It might make flanking even more dangerous than it is now, since the sides of a gunline may become blind spots without a complicated deployment pattern.
IOW, it will make tactics more important than it is now. I think this is a good thing, and deployment will become much more critical as it is in fantasy currently.
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
I think that we will be seeing some very static IG armies, even more static than they are now. Perhaps SIGAFH will make a comeback.
It ever disappeared?

[hr]

Well I've not seen what you've pointed out yet, but if the Hammerhead gets a better blast weapon I won't be too pleased.

Hail to the static-hybrid, I never left ye!

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I can bend and adapt to any rule changes and I accept that they can and will happen regularly.

What Im REALLY worried about is drastic model changes that will either make my current ones look out of date or require huge overhauls in numbers or weapon configs. Id hate to buy 2800 points of tau all over again before Im even done painting them.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 22:40   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Mad_Mickelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
What Im REALLY worried about is drastic model changes that will either make my current ones look out of date or require huge overhauls in numbers or weapon configs. Id hate to buy 2800 points of tau all over again before Im even done painting them.
Same here, I just finished my tau army, and I don't really want to spend that kinda money again so soon on the same thing, the only things I'm holding out on is Vespids, I really want plastics, and maybe Kroot (Still don't know if i want them or not).
Munchkinizing - Powergaming through rules abuse and/or violations of commonly accepted social norms
Mad_Mickelson is offline   Reply With Quote