Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how many weapons and support systems can a crisis suit mount?
Old 21 Apr 2008, 17:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default how many weapons and support systems can a crisis suit mount?

I have just gotten into 40k and am still full of questions. One that has been bugging me for a while is the crisis suit. In the codex it tells me I must select 3 weapon or support systems. Towards the back of the book in the colored pics it says I can only have 2 weapons and 1 support. I also have seen pics of other peoples armies with 3 weapons and 1 support system or 2 weapons and 2 support systems. If I twin-link a weapon is that 1 or 2 weapons, if one am I able to put another weapon on it still with a support system?

I would appreciape any help.
Tacdamagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: how many weapons and support systems can a crisis suit mount?

Welcome to the forums!

Players often get confused about this starting out.

But 3 is always the limit. Twin-linked weapons take up two Hardpoints on Crisis Suits. There are some systems that can be "hard-wired", meaning that they do not take up one of the suit's three hardpoints. But only squad leaders and above can take hard-wired wargear.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Remember that broadside suits (XV-88's) break the rule because they aren't as customizable.

To your untrained eye, they will look the same as a crisis suit but with a pair of railguns, a support system, and a pair of plasma rilfles OR a smart missile system. Don't let the five pieces of equipment bolted on fool you! The XV-8's must have 3 - they can't take fewer or more (that are bolted on the suit).
Andy06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

To add on what our Over-Overlord Khanaris said:

These 3 Hardpoints can be filled up any way you want - support systems, weapons, whatever.

3 weapons are a possibility, as are three support systems, though note that no equipment may be taken twice (weapons can be made TL, but you can`t take them again, i.e. you can`t take a Crisis with TL PR and an additional PR).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So only 3 hard points? so I could take a twin-link weapon andn another different, just no support systems? Or take 2 support and 1 weapon if I wanted? So are all the pics I have seen online just for art and show since they are mounting 4 items total?
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Also remember WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). You don't want to be in a situation where you change your mind about your fitting - like I had a TL fusion blaster where I decided after the fact to replace a FB with a PR and I had to be very careful with the removal to not overly damage/disfigure the model.

Some people do use magnets, but I don't like that look and it can get expensive. If you aren't 100% sure you want to use that suit, you can always play a game with a proxy and see how it performs.

Some common configuarations to help you get started ... (lifted from the sticky). These are all shas'ui XV-8's which assume that hardwired gear can't be taken. None of these suits use target locks as a hardpoint - generally if you want a target lock, you will hardwire it into the team leader / 'vre.

Fireknife - PR, MP, MT (plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker) - versatlie 3+, 4+, light vehicle killing, and high T killing.

Deathrain - TL MP, TA (targeting array) or TL MP flamer - reliable long range fire support, the flamer version also provides a cheap alternative to help torch deepstrikers/assaulters.

Bladestorm - PR, BC, MT - cheap, with a high volume of shots (5 at rapid fire range). Not the most damaging model, and the BC overlaps with many other guns in the tau armory, but it is cheap and helps with horde armies and it follows the rule that "more shots are better" rather than fewer, high powered shots.

Helios - PR, FB, MT - A 2+/3+ armor hunter that pumps out high S shots that can cheaply put down even AV 14 tanks if you can get close enough.

Sunforge (i think thats what its called) - TL FB, shield gen OR targeting array - the one-trick pony cousin of the helios, usually used to deepstrike and insta gib T4 hq's or knock out tanks, but is very suicidal (and thus the shield gen, or the TA to make sure it doesn't miss).

These are of course only 5 configurations out of the myriad of possibilities, but they are all quite popular and a great place to start.

EDIT so I don't doublepost - the suits that you see with 4 weapons mounted are likely broadside configurations where the owner took the A.S.S. and claimed it was modelled by the beefy legs/cover plates on teh backpack (or its an illegal model). The XV-88's have different customization rules (as in ... you get the TL railguns and one of two choices of secondary weapons with a mandatory support system). Those are NOT XV-8's.
Andy06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacdamagmo
I have just gotten into 40k and am still full of questions. One that has been bugging me for a while is the crisis suit. In the codex it tells me I must select 3 weapon or support systems. Towards the back of the book in the colored pics it says I can only have 2 weapons and 1 support. I also have seen pics of other peoples armies with 3 weapons and 1 support system or 2 weapons and 2 support systems. If I twin-link a weapon is that 1 or 2 weapons, if one am I able to put another weapon on it still with a support system?

I would appreciape any help.
This portion should be ignored. GW's site has a number of useful errata to a Tau player. Khanaris has pretty much pegged the restrictions first.

Sometimes players bolt everything onto their suits when they make them so they have muliple choices when making a list, usually we suggest magnets to make it easier (and to follow WYSIWYG).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 19:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

or 4 hard point models are indeed xv8's but with represented HW gear
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 20:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I know the broadside is a different case. I was taking about the crisis suits I have seen using 4 systems used in army list. Well any way thank you all for your help, now to start painting my army.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 20:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

On my first few suits, I had TL Plasma with a missile pod. Since it was my commander and bodyguard, the also had a Hard-wired (doesn't take up a hard-point) multi-tracker. Just because it looked spiffy I modeled the multi-tracker on the suit. Perhaps that's what you've seen done.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote