Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Im confused with the water caste
Old 20 Apr 2008, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Im confused with the water caste

I understand what the water does in the codex, but they seem to do very little in comparison to all of the other castes. Like the earth caste has many different jobs. But there is only so much negotiating and trading they can do. Do they have additional jobs that i am missing?

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 14:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire
Default Re: Im confused with the water caste

they are also the politicians and bureaucrats
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 14:22   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

They are also the merchants. My guess is that they handle the entire service side of the Tau economy, whereas the Earth Caste handles the production side. So they would be the shopkeepers and the entrepreneurs. They are also likely to be artists, journalists, or writers. They basically encompass the entire "liberals arts" side of potential professions, whereas the Earth Caste is focused on science and engineering.

The Water Caste tend to be skilled diplomats, but all of the castes have politicians of a sort. The most experienced members of every caste sit on councils below the Ethereals. But I do agree that the Water Caste is probably responsible for much of the civil service operation of the Empire.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 15:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Exactly like Khanaris said. They do the office work of the Empire. It is water caste that makes it possible for the Tau Empire not to get hindered by its own bureaucracy like the Imperium.
Korppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 16:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

And we shouldn`t forget their role in entertainment - I`m not sure if the Tau Empire has an equivalent to present-day TV (I highly doubt it, though), but IF it would have, the Water Caste would run it.

Journalism in general is handled by them, as well.

So, basically everything where you have to deal with other people and/or spread (mis)information, faith or good feelings in general.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

CmdrBonesaw is correct.

The Por'hui (the Tau version of TV where the only channel is one giant propaganda-fest) is entirely run by the Water Caste, and we have more than one example of Por journalists accompanying Cadres into battle to get footage of the action to broadcast to the rest of the Empire.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:10   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
The Por'hui (the Tau version of TV where the only channel is one giant propaganda-fest) is entirely run by the Water Caste, and we have more than one example of Por journalists accompanying Cadres into battle to get footage of the action to broadcast to the rest of the Empire.
I wish you would stop doing that. We have very little information about the Tau domestic communications beyond that one detailed story about war correspondants and a few asides during the Nimbosa campaign. We have no idea what the rest of it is like. It could all be propaganda, or it could be quite varied in content.

But for reference, here is the bulk of it: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/background/3/

Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Uh, have you ever read Fire Warrior, Khanaris?

Most of the information about Tau "TV" and the Por'hui come from that novel, not the few stories about war correspondents...

Fire Warrior mentions thrice that the Por'hui is pretty much the only thing broadcasted across the Empire, and even goes so far as to mention that the Por'hui is very propagandist in nature. La'Kais eventually comes to this realization after experiencing an Imperial Titan firsthand and taking note of how it was portrayed very differently (read: small and weak) by the Por'hui media.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'll take your word for it. I forgot that it was mentioned there as well.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Khanaris. The one story wrote about a LIVE transmission of a battle in progress, and as soon as pictures are sent live (especially of battles in progress), "propaganda" is not really produced.

Sure, the Por in question sprouted lots of uplifting nonsense, but nevertheless, they DID also capture scenes of Firewarriors (a Shas`Ui in particular) taking a lethal hit.

So, yeah, there is of course loads of propaganda in it, but we don`t know enough to be sure that ALL is propaganda - especially since the book Firewarrior seems to indicate that especially Ethereals seem to prefer their subordinates actually understanding why a particular course of action is the most appropriate in a given situation (note that for linewarriors in a battle situation this doesn`t hold true; but then again - how much "battlefield-democracy" do our modern armies have?).

When it comes to propagande, I think Tau TV is about on the same level as current American TV - with less soaps and talk shows and more information on the various aspects of the Tau Empire (i.e. auxiliary races, and so on).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote