Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Independant characters with stealths
Old 19 Apr 2008, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Independant characters with stealths

If you have a XV-25 squad which is joined by an ejected pilot from a crisis (or an ethreal, or indeed a Crisis Shas'O/'el) do they count as being stealthed? It says that any drones are sheilded in the codex entry, but they're part of the unit in the first place.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Independant characters with stealths

Unless the IC has a stealth field generator themselves, they do not count as being stealthed.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 01:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In fact, joining a stealth team with a non-stealth model is the worst thing you can do as the opponent will be able to shoot the team without having to roll to see them simply because he can see the non-stealthed model and the wounds will carry on to the team!! however, any drones that the Stealth team takes is an exception to this rule.
Das Boogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2008, 07:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yea, the entire squad is visible as long as they've got that damn non-shielded IC with them.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2008, 23:52   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

However if the IC just stays within the squad, without joining it, he is effectively stealthed.
Kinda cheap though

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not Really, the IC is only safe if he is not the closest target, most people forget this but Stealth fields also allow the opponent to ignore the Stealth team in terms of target selection, which may be the closest target, and shoot the next closest without Target Priority, which in your case is the IC. Like i said, people forget this so by no means remind them!!!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or, by all means, remind them. Winning because you "forgot" a rule is cheating.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 06:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Boogie Man
most people forget this but Stealth fields also allow the opponent to ignore the Stealth team in terms of target selection, which may be the closest target, and shoot the next closest without Target Priority, which in your case is the IC.
Hate to break it to you, but thats not right. By the rules the IC is safe, as cheesy as that sounds. Stealth suits allow you to bypass Target priority tests to shoot the next closest target, and that is all. So if the SS were the closest unit to the shooter, and a squad of FW were right behind the SS, no TP test needs to be taken to shoot the FWs. However target priority has absolutely nothing to do with shooting at ICs. Not needing to take a TP does not change the fact that the IC is not the closest unit to the shooter thus is ineligible to be shot at. I don't agree with it, but that is what the rules currently state, and you can thank GW for sitting on their bums instead making a proper FAQs to stop people from doing silly things like that :-\.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 08:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Really? oh dear, and I've been playing all this time thinking Stealth Suits can't screen for my IC, well another VP denial tactic I can use then,
cheers