Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I defend against a deep strike SM list?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How do I defend against a deep strike SM list?

I played my tau against a friend who made a SM list where every unit has deep strike (mostly in drop pods). In the first game he landed all but one of his units within six inches of my back field. I was devastated. In the second game the units came on one or two at a time and I never got a chance to hit him hard as I was constantly trying to run away. So much of the tau game depends on keeping a distance from your opponent. What can I do when he just keeps dropping right on top of me? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:15   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How do I defend against a deep strike SM list?

It depends. Against a mechanized Tau force, the drop-pod assault is weak. Once the army is down, it can be very slow. There are other tricks that can be employed by a static force, like denying your opponent good areas to drop into. There is no way he will risk a unit by dropping in too close to the edge or into area terrain. Kroot are good, too, since no one in their right mind will drop within assault range of a large unit of them.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Actually in the past while, my experiences against Drop Pod armies has been mixed. Sometimes, they're just awful and are easy to destroy because it was too sporadic. However, sometimes, they all came at once and it was a problem, because those silly pods could make big barriers which they then could hide behind to avoid being shot up right away. It's like a late way of "infiltrating" almost in that sense.

Against a Mech army, when they come down randomly, it's easy to move to adjust fire paths and destroy whatever fell down. However, if all the pods come down together it's a problem because they may just disembark facing you, which means lots of shots on your armor -- and trust me, a mech force that loses it's gunboats is a dead-duck of an army because they have nothing left once they lose mobility.

Static Tau fared a little better in those senses as they had enough firepower to return fire after taking casualty, but they were too open to assaults. Once in assault, they're ruined of course since Tau that can't shoot are dead Tau.

Hybrid forces did the best. But that's an obvious response because good balance should always fair best. A few elements can move and alter fire paths for picking off the new targets while the static elements just remove anything in their way. Drop Pods provide 4+ cover though... so leave your plasma at home unless you have full line of sight.

You will definitely be checking that rulebook on majorities in terms of Cover and how cover works when facing them. Because even when you see a marine or two, you may find them taking 4+ cover saves still (a few in plain sight, but many in sight but in cover). Very annoying.

It would probably help if you could tell us what you are playing with - and what you're facing. Is he dropping marines on you? Or just dreadnoughts? What kind of Tau army are you using?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 16:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Something else to consider... If most (if not his entire) army is starting off in drop pods and deep striking, it might be worthwhile to take what he's giving you. Seize every bit of decent terrain you can get your hands on, through "counter" deep-striking and infiltration. If you can put enough elements of your army out of harm's path the first turn or two (before the sky falls down), you could be very well placed to repulse the entering elements of his force.

Definitely a "Ball and Chain" tactic: A strong firebase combined with a mobile element. Keep the Tau as the mobile force, and use the infiltrating Kroot as the firebases.

Spoil him for position, and it might work very well indeed!
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The concept above of Infiltrating/Deep-Striking to get your forces away from where your opponent Deep Strikes can work wonders in many circumstances, but perhaps two very effective methods both involve using Kroot. One is to Infiltrate into cover behind your opponents drop force and negate his cover with incesant bolter fire. The other, although it only works in very high point games, is to simply put a solid wall of Kroot in front of your lines. In one game the deepstrike force found itself in the middle of a 60-strong Kroot horde... not fun.

My biggest note on the Deepstrike enemy is to bewere Landspeeders and Librarians who drop in close to your lines. Having your priceless armour and heavy battlesuits multi-melta'd is a nightmare, and when Vortex of Doom meets Inititive 2 Tau soldiers... Ouch.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

there are two ways a game can go against Drop pods from hell:

#1: he can have one or two units drop in a turn in which case you get to pick apart his army picemeal ......... thats game one gone

#2: he can have a large portion of the army come down at once, this is the kind of occurance that people remember as "that drop pod army" how to beat it you ask?

- Play Mech : Mechtau dont fear drop pods as they come down on one turn and maybe take a pot shot or two at our tanks and then its our turn, we can run away or bring in support at leisure and much of the traumatic effect of drop podding is taken away (coming in out of the blue at units lacking adequate support)

as has been said, one thing that is very scary in a pod army nomatter who you are is the Fear of the darkness librarian, he must be dealt with or he can become very scary if left unattended ^-^

for a bit more discussion on this try searching "drop pod" in the Tau forum only and you should dig up this quaestion several times over.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 23 Apr 2005, 23:38   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The last time I played a deep-striking marine army, he lost a librarian, a dreadnought, and an entire squad of terminators to double-ones. I only laughed a little.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 06:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The last time I played a deep-striking marine army, he lost a librarian, a dreadnought, and an entire squad of terminators to double-ones. I only laughed a little.
I'd like to say I wish we all had your luck ^-^
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

If all his guys come down in one go, you are in trouble, and make no mistake about that.
If it comes down in pieces, then you have a chance. But if he ends up with good size squads in your face, you are in trouble.
I find mech tau have a huge problem with DS marines. MAybe its just me.
1 thing to watch out for are deepstriking dreadnoughts with h.flamers, and tl lascannons. he can rape your vehicles stupidly easily and burn his way through lots of fire warriors. And then he gets to rampage through your lines.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I've seen Tau armies beat Seeding Swarms by killing them off one unit at a time (even going so far as to kill a Hive Tyrant in assault. The player shall never live that down...). It should work against Marines too... so long as you don't get hit by too many at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread