Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

clarify please
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Master Hitaza
Default clarify please

i was reading some very old threads around pages 400 abouts and read some stuff about crisis suits and some sort of new rules which give you 12" movement and still the 6" in assault phase. There wasn't any clear answer at all and yer i wanna know if the mighty Tau also benefited or somehow they stuffed the rules and gave all other races with less technology understanding this extra benefit?

wanna talk via msn? plz do look at profile (no freaks please!) :P

Wir tun nur, was Wir nur tun koennen
Master Hitaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: clarify please

These rules are either the intern play-test rules for Crisis Suits when they first play-tested Codex: Tau, or were rumours and haphazard guesses on the time of change from 3rd to 4th Edition.

They were all scrapped; Crisis Suits with 18" movement a turn were just too dangerous.

Besides: Calling Eldar (which are actually the only race - including their brethren, the DE - to move with their Jetbikes 12+6) a "lesser" race is tempting the attention of Wargamer. And trust me, you don`t WANT the attention of WG....

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:51   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thnx a lot m8, that helps keep everything good actually that no1 got that rule.

but one thing that has allways really annoyed me is that a crisis suit is so huge and bulky but still has only a 3+ save compared to a terminator that is half the size and has 2+

and Tau technology is far greater... i wouldnt mind if they even added 5-10 points a model but yer it just looks weird when comparing

Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Yeah the original rules had an 18" movement but never got released as bonesaw said

Dam I'd like that extra movement..

I always like the way they say that crisis suits are extremely mobile.. 12" isn't that far.. especially when half of it is going bacwards XD

And crisis suits aren't as armoured as terminators, also terminators are slow :P Crisis suits need to be able to move around easily

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Yeah the original rules had an 18" movement but never got released as bonesaw said

Dam I'd like that extra movement..

I always like the way they say that crisis suits are extremely mobile.. 12" isn't that far.. especially when half of it is going bacwards XD

And crisis suits aren't as armoured as terminators, also terminators are slow :P Crisis suits need to be able to move around easily
but just look at the size difference, they must be better armoured by the looks of it and the size of the jetpacks, well they are just massive compared to jump packs really arn't they.. just look the the difference when looking at your models

Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Well if you take awawy the jump pack, then the arms and legs everything where the tau isn't, your left with the torso, which is full of all the gizmos and what nots to to make it work ;D

They don't really need a 2+ save in my opinion, we can just jump back behind cover

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Well if you take awawy the jump pack, then the arms and legs everything where the tau isn't, your left with the torso, which is full of all the gizmos and what nots to to make it work ;D

They don't really need a 2+ save in my opinion, we can just jump back behind cover
I agree. When looking at the standard xv8 you will see that it is extremely flimsy in design. Now add the factor that this things has to maintain almost constant flight and you're talking a very lightly armored craft.

Also compare it like this. Look at the piranha and look at the side of the a rhino. Now the piranha looks a lot flimsier, yet has the same armor as the rhino

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok its like this what you both are comparing is like comparing today's British tank with a tank from the Ukraine or something... Tau technology surpasses human technology at a far greater scale so i don't see why the piranhas armour should be just the same as a rhinos.

so human technology = Ukraine tank
tau technology = British tank

hope this doesn't offend any Ukraine's here if any, I'm just comparing tanks remember and if this still offends i can change it to a tank of Britain's but 30 years ago if you want

Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Hitaza
ok its like this what you both are comparing is like comparing today's British tank with a tank from the Ukraine or something... Tau technology surpasses human technology at a far greater scale so i don't see why the piranhas armour should be just the same as a rhinos.

so human technology = Ukraine tank
tau technology = British tank

hope this doesn't offend any Ukraine's here if any, I'm just comparing tanks remember and if this still offends i can change it to a tank of Britain's but 30 years ago if you want
because no matter how hard of a material you can craft for a piece of armor, there will be a bullet that can penetrate it. However, if you make 30 layers of the same, or even a lower grade of armor well now you not only have to penetrate it, but maintain inertia to penetrate the rest. It's the reason why kevlar is successful. Is it the hardest material known to man? No, but it kills the inertia of the bullet, spreads out the energy.

It's the reason why the tiger tank was so frakking successful. Did it have the most advanced armor at the time? Hell no, but it was huge and had the thickest armor. That is why a terminator is able to take a hit a crisis cannot.

In short, just because it's a newer model, doesn't necessarily mean it's a better model.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:52   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

No no no, Tau are not more advanced than the Imperium at all!

The Pulse Rifle is an example of high-spec design. It is the Bugatti Veron of hand-held guns. It's big, it's powerful, it's stupidly over-engineered for what it does, but there's no question it does the job with mountains of power to spare.

The Lasgun is a Toyota Pickup; you can bash it, abuse it, set it on fire, blow up a building with it inside... and you can still make it work with just a can of WD-40.

The Imperium builds its tech assuming the guys using it only have wood, coal and pig-iron to work with. That does not make them "less advanced", it makes them more practical. If you look at the high-end stuff the Imperium uses, it makes the Tau look pathetic by comparisson; the Imperium didn't need to buy their Lance Tech off the Demiurg! Hell, even if the Tau are more advanced, that does not make them better (as was stated above). We built Infantryman's Rifles in World War 2 that are more powerful and longer-ranged than its modern equivalent.

Finally, for those who missed it, the Eldar in the vehicular comparisson would be the AG-Systems F-7,200 anti-grav racer from Wipeout; forget trying to compare anything you have with this, it is beyond you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote