Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker light and seeker missile help
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Marker light and seeker missile help

I'm fairly new to playing Tau and I'm in the process of doing a Farsight Enclave. Because of this, I'm only allowed 1 unit of Piranhas and 1 Skyray. I plan on equipping my piranhas with a seeker missile each. So my next question, is how does this work with the marker light rules?

For the piranhas, do I have to have someone else target something with a marker light before the piranhas can launch a missile? If so, can I chose how many missiles to launch, or will they all have to let them fly?

For the skyray, does it shoot seeker missiles like it would shoot any other weapon, or do I have to target something with a market light, then pass another BS test to fire the missile?

As you can see, I'm a bit confused....but I'm sure once someone explains these rules, it'll be easy.

Thanks!
thralkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Marker light and seeker missile help

Seekers always need a Markerlight hit to fire.

The procedure is as follows: You score, say, 4 Markerlight hits with Pathfinders, and get four Markers.

Then, you choose what to do with the Markers. You decide to launch 4 Missiles (one for every Marker): 2 from the Skyray (reducing its Seekers to 4), and 2 from Piranhas. You can choose fromwhich vehicle how many Seekers are fired, so it is up to you.

So, no, you don`t have to fire all Seekers of a vehicle at the same time - which would be impossible, anyways, since all Seekers need a Marker - and try to get 6 Markers for a Skyray

As a side note: You don`t HAVE to use all Markers for Seekers. You could use 2 Markers for Seekers, an 2 Markers to increase the BS of a unit of Firewarriors aiming at the target, and so on.

I hope this clears this issue up; but how Seekers and Markerlights exactly work is excellently worded in the Codex in the armory section: There`s a whole half-page dedicated to Markerlights.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: If you`re new to Tau, I`d suggest you start your way up from Combat Patrol to 750- and 1000-point games. For Farsight, you need at least 1.500 points, and he is slightly more difficult to use than a "normal" Tau army, so I`d suggest you start with the basics. Especially Tau are difficult to start at higher levels; an army actually has to work together to accomplish a victory, and to learn this cooperation, small games with fewer units are just better (and more easily graspable) than all-out "megabattles".

Once you have a couple of games under your belt, you can go Farsight with fewer problems.

Nevertheless, welcome to the Greater Good, Commander! I hope to see more posts from you in the future!
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It will also help to know that the vehicle isn't considered the shooter of the seeker, but rather the markerlight user who radios it in is.

This means that if they stun/shake your seeker boat, you can still fire the seekers because the vehicle isn't the one doing the firing.

For vehicles/cover, you draw a line from the seeker vessel to the target. So its possible, especially on the pirahnas, to maneveur to a posistion where the seeker hits back armor.

Seekers also make excellent independent character hunters ... if your markerlight unit is able to target the IC, you can rain down the seeker missiles on him even though he isn't necessarily the closest target to the vehicle. Str 8 seekers are even able to instant kill the T4 IC's out there.
Andy06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 00:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

After your input and rereading it again, I think I've finally figured it out...for some reason I kept missing the part about shooting at BS5. Thanks! I do think it's kind of messed up that you have to take 2 BS tests, but I guess that's the downside of having multiple S8 missiles with no TP test.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

exactly, everything has to have balance.

And i think the skyray can choose to use all its missiles on one of its markerlight hits can it not? i'm not sure
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That "fire it all at once" was a rule that existed on the skyray before it was officially endorsed by GW.

In the Tau Empire codex (the most recent one), the skyray's rack can only fire on missile at a time per markerlight.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:58   #7 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw

So, no, you don`t have to fire all Seekers of a vehicle at the same time - which would be impossible, anyways, since all Seekers need a Marker - and try to get 6 Markers for a Skyray
I believe you can do it in apoc, if you make a skyray a command tank in the armoured interdiction formation it gets d3+1 markerlight hits plus the two networked.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 13:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So, my Farsight Enclave will look something like this:
Farsight with bodyguard
Shas'o

Crisis Suits
Crisis Suits
Steal Suits (Shas'vre with marker light)

Firewarriors with Pulse Rifles (Shas'ui with marker light)
Firewarriors with Pulse carbines (Shas'ui with marker light, marker drone) and Devilfish
Firewarriors with Pulse carbines (Shas'ui with marker light, marker drone) and Devilfish

Pathfinders (Shas'ui with marker drones) Devilfish
Piranhas (with 1 seeker each)
Gun drones

Broadsides
Sniper Drone teams or Skyray
Hammerhead

I'll set up a firebase with the broadsides, stealth suits, sniper drone teams, and pulse rifle firewarriors while the crisis suits, carbine firewarriors, and pathfinders go out hunting...at least that's my plan.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 16:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The carbines and markerlights won't go well together - they are heavy weapons and can't be fired on the run, which is the whole purpose (aside from pinning) of taking carbines.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

unless you used the markerlight to modify the pinning result