Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against Sisters of Battle.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help against Sisters of Battle.

Greetings Fellow Tau,

I need to call on the experience of fellow players. I will be fighting a Sisters of Battle army within two weeks and I need assistance. I have never fought the Sisters before. This battle is preparing us for the Baltimore GT. I'm not sure how to get to the two Exorcists which hide behind cover. He rushes the rest of his army. My biggest concerns are the two Exorcists due to their abilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My opponent will be using:
1) Sister Superior w/ jump pack
2) 2 Seraphrim squads
3) 3 ten sister squads w/ rhinos
4) 2 Exorcists
5) Calidus Assassin
6) Minor inquisitor on foot
7) Retribution squad on foot

Just so you know what I'm using, my list consists of:
1 ) 1 Ionhead
2 ) 2 Sniper teams
3 ) 1 team of 2 Broadsides w/ 2 shield drones
4 ) 3 Piranhas w/ fusion (each a separate FA choice)
5 ) 2 full firewarrior squads w/ pulse rifles
6 ) 1 six man firewarrior squad w/ pulse carbines
7 ) 1 ten man kroot squad w/ 4 kroot hounds
8 ) 3 three suit crisis teams w/ 1 shield drone each , TA, each team consists of either twin-linked missile pods, twin-linked plama rifles or twin-linked burst cannons.
9 ) 1 Sha'el w/ shield generator and twin-linked missile pods.

Thank you in Advance for any help given.
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Help against Sisters of Battle.

Well the Exorcist has no indirect fire capability so if he is hiding it behind cover then it can't shoot you. So that there neutralizes it. If he moves it out to shoot try to get a side shot. Its side armor is 11 I think which means your basic fire warrior with his 30" range has a chance to glance it and if you shake it then you prevent it from shooting next turn.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Hi there! I play many armies, amongst them an Inquisition army with some SoB elements mixed in, and my first army in 40k was Tau, so I think have some advice for you. Here goes...

One of the biggest problems for a pure SoB army is the extreme short range of most units. The sisters weapons - Bolters (when disembarking), flamers, melta, heavy flamers - only reach a maximum of 12", so you should be able to act quite freely the first turn (maybe two). The main problem early on could be Exorcists and the Retributors, but remember that they need to have LoS to be able to target you. Make sure you deploy everything out of LoS and plan your firing lanes. Then move up to engage Exorcist (if you need to).

I would suggest rushing forward with your Piranhas on a flank to try to engage said Exorcists, or at least make him respond to them. If you deploy your XV88's behind cover and move them up to engage, the Exorcists should have some problems as well. I would problably try to ignore the Exorcists if they do not present a major threat early on, however.

Another suggestion is to keep your 'El in reserves as a Deep Striker. I would run him with FB+MP myself, but I guess your config should work as well. The MP should allow you to make a pretty safe Deep Strike to engage Exorcist side/back armor, and later force him to react to the suit. As the 'El is not scoring it is not a terrible loss to use in this way either.

However, the main priority should be to stop the Rhinos and Seraphims early on. Don't get to flustered by his Exorcists. Try to avoid them and pick them off with Piranhas and perhaps a Deep Strike.

Remember the sisters ability to cause Ap1 wounds when they use faithpoints. They can also recieve invulnerable saves, better initiative and some other neat tricks. Keep that in mind. 24 bolter shots, a heavy flamer and a melta can really wreck havoc if all to-wound-rolls of 6 is Ap1... Keep them away from you!

A note on the Callidus. It is a right pain in the backside. The ability to redeploy one of YOUR units could really present problems. Remember this when deploying your Ionhead/XV88's and other assets vulnerable to multiple S8 Ap1 shots. He can only redeploy in legal deployment zone, and only 6", so if you can you should deploy your most valuable units so that he cannot move them into a dangerous position. This is very easy to forget, and is incredibly annoying.

When the Callidus arrives it can also cause serious problems. Spot on Deep Strike, a mean flamer attack which is dangerous to us since we haw rather low Ld, jump back and ignore ALL saves in CC. It is a mean little thing, make no mistake.

I hope this rambling gives you at least some ideas.
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

Tau VS Sisters of battle, should generally be a quite decisive game.

A few tips, try and shoot the rhinos from afar with your broad sides and sending in a few piranhas to destroy the retribution squad; as they can be quite annoying later in the game, not to mention staying out of the way of the Seraphrim. Don't worry about them too much early, try to concentrate your fire power on the rhinos, because, without them the sisters can't move as freely as they would like, which comes to your advantage.
You really lack transports, so...... It would be wise to keep the kroot behind your lines; shooting at the enemy with your fire warriors, and then charge them in with the hounds when the sisters get too close for comfort.

You could also use your sniper teams to take out any sister elites/special characters, that stray from one unit to get to another.
While, the broadsides should remain basically stationary, with the exception of moving for line of sight, moving into cover or turning firepower to an attacked flank.

Overall, a static Tau army tactic for this game would be considerably wise.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by robidark
Greetings Fellow Tau,

I need to call on the experience of fellow players. I will be fighting a Sisters of Battle army within two weeks and I need assistance. I have never fought the Sisters before. This battle is preparing us for the Baltimore GT. I'm not sure how to get to the two Exorcists which hide behind cover. He rushes the rest of his army. My biggest concerns are the two Exorcists due to their abilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My opponent will be using:
1) Sister Superior w/ jump pack
2) 2 Seraphrim squads
3) 3 ten sister squads w/ rhinos
4) 2 Exorcists
5) Calidus Assassin
6) Minor inquisitor on foot
7) Retribution squad on foot

Just so you know what I'm using, my list consists of:
1 ) 1 Ionhead
2 ) 2 Sniper teams
3 ) 1 team of 2 Broadsides w/ 2 shield drones
4 ) 3 Piranhas w/ fusion (each a separate FA choice)
5 ) 2 full firewarrior squads w/ pulse rifles
6 ) 1 six man firewarrior squad w/ pulse carbines
7 ) 1 ten man kroot squad w/ 4 kroot hounds
8 ) 3 three suit crisis teams w/ 1 shield drone each , TA, each team consists of either twin-linked missile pods, twin-linked plama rifles or twin-linked burst cannons.
9 ) 1 Sha'el w/ shield generator and twin-linked missile pods.

Thank you in Advance for any help given.
I would reinvest the points of the carbine squad into one with rifles or put the points in to the kroot squad.

The TA plus twinlinking seems a bit excessive you can save points by going one or the other.

I don't see a lot of plasma you might want to use a fireknife config for one of those suits. It has the flexibility to kill a rhino or penitent engine from a distance, or instant kill a sister w/o an armor save.

Don't forget you have markerlights w/ those snipers you can put some seeker missiles on the vehicles.

Hope it game you something to think about.

My 2 cents....
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

-Even though SoB have the same Sv as a SM, they have a lower toughness (and strength). this means that although you won't be able to avoid their armor with your basic weaponry (like burst cannons and pulse rifles) you will be wounding on almost every hit.

-I'd also recommend using Plasma Rifles where possible and leaving the anti-tank duties to piranhas (when your basic guns don't cut it).

-Watch out for that assassin.

-keep track of his "faith points" and remember that he gets some back for certain figures (or groups of figures) dying.

and on another note... Is it a Sister Superior w/ Jumppack or a Canoness w/ Jumppack

Just my 2cents of advice
The Gear Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As Farseer Tanis said, the Excorsists can't fire if they're behind cover. try lure them out, and shake the crew to prevent it from moving (and even shooting if you can) Then destroy them with the broadsides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Com. Vincent Theo (Mal)
As Farseer Tanis said, the Excorsists can't fire if they're behind cover. try lure them out, and shake the crew to prevent it from moving (and even shooting if you can) Then destroy them with the broadsides.
You have it the wrong way round, shaken means it can move but can't shoot
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

SoB are great at medium range shooting, so use your long range (30 inch pulse rifles) to keep them at bay. But the looks of his list he will be loading up his sisters and moving them into your line, make sure every firewarrior squad has some form of anti-armor behind it to take out the rhinos before they reach you (not too hard, rhinos front armor is only 11).

If they do manage to unload, keep them occupied with a kroot squad, SoB are sometimes worse in CC than Tau (in my experiance). If they some how manage to kill your kroot (seraphim/cannoness), you should have retreated to a safe distance, and you can light them up.

If he's going with the standard "supper Cannoness" then watch out, 2+ invulnerable save (uses a faith point) and ignores instant death once...thats IF he's using the same load out as I did, but it's pretty common.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas vre Tau kais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Com. Vincent Theo (Mal)
You have it the wrong way round, shaken means it can move but can't shoot
Oh whatever ( :P) i meant the one which immobolises the vehicle and disables the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote