Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammar 40k Rulebook: Tau and Allies
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Warhammar 40k Rulebook: Tau and Allies

When I was reading pages 158-159 (the Tau part) in the Rulebook, at the end of the last paragraph on p.159 it says: "Many other races are part of the Tau Empire, such as Kroot......Other aliens, some coerced or conquered, lend their own abilities to the Tau."

I, for one, would love to see more races for the Tau, along with Kroot and Vespoids (is that what they're called?).
The advantage of Kroot is you can actually build an army with them. Whereas with the Vespoids there is only one unit. It would be great if GW introduced more ally races for the Tau as then it would be possible to create a 'Tau Mercenary Army' with not many actual Fire Caste, maybe just an ethereal and unit of Fire Warriors accompanied by all the different races.
The least they could do is create more Vespoid units so that it's possible to create an army, like with Kroot.

arandomshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Warhammar 40k Rulebook: Tau and Allies

Actually it's vespids and I'd like to see Gue'vesa in the next codex
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There are many cases of people who take IG troops with carapace armour to represent humans working for the Tau, sometimes as allies to the Tau, (in friendly games) and sometimes as a themed IG army. Look through the boards here and you will see many of these examples. As well as other posts that are on similar ideas.

Anyway, cool ideas you do have, but not new ones by any means.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh ok then.

IG are a bit boring though.
But that's just my opinion.

arandomshadow

Quote:
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandomshadow
Oh ok then.

IG are a bit boring though.
But that's just my opinion.
But they`re the most realistic option: Humans should, right now, be a quite numerous minority in the Empire, and they are actually used to fighting - and our natural tendencies to aggression should help, as well

When I come around to it, IŽll convert a team of humans to "count-as" Firewarriors, with Carapace armour and Pulse Rifles. Rather easy conversion, and no problem to use, gamewise.

That`s actually the best way to introduce more allies, imo - just make them "count as" other entries in the Tau Codex. El Tael actually amde superb looking Tarellian Dog-soldiers, and 40K-Lizardmen can be introduced like this, as well.

The list goes on.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Everyone knows about:

Kroot
Gue'vesa
Vespid

But in Battle Fleet Gothic you also get:

Demiurg
Nicassar

The Vespid are unlikely to get their own army PDF and more model/untis as:

A) They aren't the most popular race ever

B) They would hammer Meq armies, but struggle against many others.

C) It would be very expensive for GW to make more metal models, or for people to convert them. If they release plastic Vespid maybe, but I can't see that happening.

D) The Kroot have been around a very long time (much longer than the Tau), have a rich history and have plastic models (ergo GW could make a PDF codex with almost no effort).

As for new units, I reckon GW will maybe try and introduce one new type per codex, but having a whole thing for a Tau mercenary army will probably never happen (it is basically a recipe for disaster).

Quote:
maybe just an ethereal and unit of Fire Warriors
Ethereals fluffwise should basically never be seen on a battlefield, and I honestly don't think it is the Ethereals' influence that brings these armies into the Empire. Maybe a Fire Warrior Shas'el, with a decent Fire Caste Bodyguard, or a mercenary/intergrated leader.

It is possible to have mixed armies, with two simple things: counts as and apocalypse (friendly games).

Counts as is a good one: take a unit such as the Gun Drones, and let them represent young vespid or take the Kroot and make them count as some combat-orientated allies.

If I may use (as yet unfinished) Tash'var Coalition army (which I will only use as a whole in friendlies/apoc) as an example:

1,500 points Tau.
1,000 points Kroot Mercenaries.
5,00 points Tallarn Gue'vesa (IG)
1,00 Points Ujahs (Little creatures, count them as Ratlings and as part of the IG force)
1 Dark Eldar Mercenary (Count as a Callidus assassin, attach to the IG army. obviously I need an Inquisitor, just take a cheap one with a bolter)
350ish points Loxatl as per the GW rules.

There you go. It has 4 attached races, with converted Vespid a possible, and contains no made-up units, only allied armies and counts as.

Hope this helped,

Songblade

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 18:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

So Kroot were a separate army? But a very small one?
The Tau came along and they merged together?
???

[quote=Commander Songblade]
But in Battle Fleet Gothic you also get:

Demiurg
Nicassar
quote]

They're just ships and fighters though. Hopefully they'll add them to standard 40k.

arandomshadow

Quote:
Old 13 Apr 2008, 18:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dunno about the Nicassar, but the Demiurg do already have established fluff and there are lots of home-brew codexes for them.

The Kroot existed and had fluff long before Tau came out. Pech already had an established place in the universe. When they decided to create the Tau Empire, they had to pick an area for it to be. No matter where they put it, someone would be upset. They picked an area on the Eastern fringe (don't ask me why) which just happened to be near Pech.

They couldn't wipe out their brand new army, or the Kroot, so decided the Kroot would be intergrated. The Kroot got plastic models, which opened up lots of conversion oppotunities.

Some bright spark thought: 'Hey, now we can use the Kroot models to represent the Kroot outside of the Tau Empire.' Thus the Kroot PDF codex was born.

Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Kroot are absolutely amazing. I really enjoy just about everything about them, and am unbelievably pissed that they aren't tournament legal any more.

As for new races, when I play Tau the only reason I use auxiliaries are because I need their services gamewise (ie, kroot's CC ability...) Otherwise, I hate auxiliaries. I like playing purist Tau armies with just firewarriors. The auxiliary element would make an interesting codex in it's own (like Chaos Demons to Chaos Space Marines) but I think a general all encompassing army with a ton of alien species used as mercenaries (similar to the fantasy Dogs of War) would be pretty cool.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, it wouldn't even have to be a proper codex (like Dogs of War).

I love Kroot too -best army ever!