Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech tau
Old 13 Apr 2008, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Mech tau

When playing mech Tau I have seen list that are battle suit heavy or vehicle heavy. I play a list hat has 9 vehicles but not to many battle suits I can not seeing only having around 3 vehicle and having 18 battle suits. In my opinion a mech list is having battle suits to deal with MEQs and having my Devil fish FOF light infantry and maybe I'll have Stealth suits to help out my FW.
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 12:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Mech tau

So...what are you saying here? What is the topic about Mech Tau that you would want to talk about the different types of Mech Tau?

Please do specify what you want to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
So...what are you saying here? What is the topic about Mech Tau that you would want to talk about the different types of Mech Tau?

Mainly is mech Tau like a rhino rush space marine army getting like 2-3 devilfish on there flank and FOF them and use suit to mop up or take out harder targets or is it using suits to do all the work and not using that much infantry?
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:28   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by artivis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper

Mainly is mech Tau like a rhino rush space marine army getting like 2-3 devilfish on there flank and FOF them and use suit to mop up or take out harder targets or is it using suits to do all the work and not using that much infantry?

The short answer would be

1)No, they are not like a Rhino Rush

2)No, they do not rely solely on Battlesuits to do the damage.

The long answer would be this;

The entire Mech Tau idea is based upon the principle of trying to conserve your strength (from anti-tank, anti-infantry all the way to close combat) until the moment is right and the when it comes give it your all and obliterate a target, one by one. If there is not need to bring your troops out in the open like that, then you don't bring them out at all. However you can always harass the enemy with what you got. You tend to give ground to your enemies, letting them come closer, while you harass them.

The general offensive rule for them would be to hunt down the isolated elements of the opponent's army, and then bring the majority of your army towards that isolated unit and eliminate it off the board. After a Mech Tau army have done that, they would all disappear from ground zero, waiting for the next prey to come in.

However, this only holds true if you are playing against an aggressive army.

If you are playing against an defensive army, you would need to be more aggressive and isolate the prey yourself. Usually this means that you would bring everything you got down one flank and break it down relentlessly. The tendency for this kind of attack would be to outnumber your opponent at least 2:1, and then whittle them down, while trying to prevent yourself from being outmaneuvered and be destroyed in return. So usually Mech Tau would try to overwhelm the anti-tank defenses of the opponent and negate the anti-infantry weaponry of the with the skimmers while also using the terrain to your advantage to prevent yourself from being shot and/or being seen by the rest of your opponent's army, and this brings us back to the point of overwhelming the opponent's isolated element and destroy it.

After the breakthrough is done, only will you proceed to break the enemy lines and sweep them all.

But always remember that Victory points denial is the forte of Mech Tau, and the others are secondary to the purpose of conserving the majority of the army.

With this in mind, you have to see what the other Mechanized armies have to offer to help you with the overall objective of Victory points denial game.

There are three types of Mech Tau which are

1)Battlesuit-heavy Mech Tau armies

2)Vehicle-heavy Mech Tau armies

3)Battlesuit and Vehicle Mech Tau armies

Now for a Battlesuit army, they perform best when they are playing to the defensive side of Mech Tau, as they would harass and try to isolate elements of the opponent's force while minimizing their exposure to enemy return fire. But then, if they are playing against a very defensive army, they will often go into a stalemate, as the battlesuits are not potent enough to take down a significant number of enemy forces and instead will have to try and hold out until the end of the game. In addition, most of the time they would struggle against armies that really outnumbers them.

As for a Vehicle-heavy army, they can do the offensive side of Mech Tau better, but yet they tend to forego suits to be extremely mobile, and thus lack the medium-range weapons that the suits (XV8s in particular) to try and pin down and thin down the opponent while you make the tactical decision to see if you will be going for a full rush or not. With only the Hammerheads as your support unit, you tend to be relying upon the numbers of Devilfishes and Hammerheads to try and survive through if you proceed on to a more offensive battle. But once you are within range for a FoF or more, you could potentially strike the killing blow in a rather quick manner. But expect some of your Devilfishes to go down burning as a result of the vehicles being shot down by the anti-vehicle weaponry that are unscathed from the railguns and ion cannons.

And finally the last one would be the Battlesuit-Vehicle Mech Tau, which is the most balanced among the three. It takes the best of bot worlds of the other two types of Mech Tau and mix them up.You can proceed to harass the other enemy elements while you send in several other of your units do do what they do best; isolate and terminate.

So with the depth of the armies in mind , you can see that they are unlike a Rhino rush, and also that the suits alone can possibly do much unless they work in tandem with the other units of the Tau army. The lesson here is that alone, thet Tau units are average, but when they work in tandem with each other, they are like a snare that can bring down even the toughest of opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote