Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot hounds
Old 12 Apr 2008, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Kroot hounds

For those of you that use Kroot, do you feel that hounds are worth taking in a squad? If I do take any into this next tourney I won't take anything less than 5. What are your thoughts? This answer will have a bearing on whether I field a Shas'el or a Shas'o for my HQ .
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Kroot hounds

Hounds are great units and they are best served for aggressive Kroot units.
As with other Kroot they're best when hiding out in forests but because of their initiative they are pretty good at pouncing on enemy units too.

6 Hounds does mean 18 attacks on the charge that hit as hard as Marines can, likely to kill 2-3 meqs before they get a chance to strike back.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes You should take Kroot Hounds. They have 3 attacks on the charge, which is very good. They don't cost too much ether. If i were you i would take some.

If you need any Black templar advice, just PM me. I've got over 4 years of BT experience!
comicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They are cheap, powerful, and wonderful at close combat. However, if they get shot before they get there then they aren't going to do so well for you.

Personally, I think the more powerful Shas'o would be a better choice for a TOURNAMENT list over the hounds. Unless you are positive you can keep the kroot away from shooting but get them into combat, the hounds will not be able to do as well. The buffs on the commander however will always be useful.

It's all up to how competitive you want to be. I know you don't wish to take less than 5, but fielding 3 or so is slightly cheaper, gets you the better initiative and adds some more stopping powr to your kroot but might allow you to keep your commander as a Shas'o.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 00:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you all for your input. The last game that I played about 2 weeks ago was against a 2K world eaters army. I had 13 Kroot stuck in some woods about 7 inches forward of my main line of 2 Squads of FW w/rifles and an 8 man Pathfinder squad. We were playing an Omega game and he could only field one unmounted squad of ten troops at the beginning of the game so he went after my kroot right away.
Long story short, after shooting he had 8 or nine guys left of that squad at the edge of the forementioned woods when I charged him form the woods with my kroot. My Kroot got mauled with only 2 surviving. He may of lost one more chaos warrior from that fight.

I'm going to put some hounds with my kroot before I pull a charge like that again.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, and you charged him..? Gives me even more reason to get a World Eaters army... off topic, sorry.

Well, I rarely count on Kroot ever pulling a battle through for me. They're just too weak for that. But they make lovely distractions, which is what I use them for. When the World Eaters and Kroot were fighting in CC, I would have had the firewarriors get further away from the World Eaters to get some more turns of shooting in.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

^ agreed.

You should learn to pick the targets that you will charge. Don't forget that with I3 your Kroot are not likely to strike first, or even simultaneously, so don't attack anything that has a chance of wiping you out.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicfreak
Yes You should take Kroot Hounds. They have 3 attacks on the charge, which is very good. They don't cost too much ether. If i were you i would take some.
Just a little side question don't normal kroot get 3 attacks on the charge any way, 1 normal, 1 on there weapons, and 1 for the charge.
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 05:21   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes , but the defenders still get to hit first if they're initiative is higher , and it was I found out ( 4 compared to 3 for my unfortunate (or silly) kroot). The hounds have an Init of 5.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 06:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

Kroot hounds are always good to take in any Tau army, as they provide the much needed close combat efficiency that normal Tau fire warriors just can't provide.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote