Closed Thread
Old 19 Apr 2005, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Aunat Guide: Playing Against SM Tactics

=][= Inquisitorial Report by Acolyte Aunat (Shasel_Aunat) =][=
“How the Alien Cleanses the Purifiers”
[size=8pt]File Num: 23/9E\R0-3K-AU-3432K
[/size]

As a Tau and Space Marine player, I find that the two armies are quite capable of destroying one another…obviously for the Space Marines this is an obvious one: just get into close combat or blast them to bits! For the Tau, however, the blast them to bits is the main mode of destroying, but there is more too it than that!

I’ve looked through out the Tau Online Forums and many other forums/websites throughout the internet and the Tau answer for defeating SM’s always seems to be this answer: “Plasma Rifles.”* Now, as many Tau players have noticed, our Plasma packing Crisis Suits cannot be anywhere at once, so that is why we must adapt to our situation.

* * * The Space Marines
Firstly, let us know the SM’s, and their units

HQ
Throughout the HQ Section there is one thing: A rock hard character followed up with/without a further rock hard command squad. All of the characters have the same stats, but different abilities. Although they seem huge, they are not totally invulnerable…enough firepower and some luck will do some damage.

* ~Commander (Master, Captain): When a SM Commander is on the field, a Tau player can forget about using pinning weapons due the “Rites of Battle” rule. A SM player will often take the Master, resulting in SM units taking their Ld tests on a solid 10…not too good for the Tau. Although hearty, he is expensive, but the same price as our Shas’O. The Shas’O may be orientated for mobility, any character in the HQ section can take a Jump-pack, making him an even deadlier in close combat (12” move followed by 6” assault) and (if not more) maneuverable.

* ~Chaplain (Master of Sanctity, Reclusiarch): Comes stock with a power weapon and a 4+ invulnerable save? And makes a squad fearless and gives them re-rolls for failed to hit in close combat? Wow…I pity anyone who comes on the receiving end of this mad man! Just like the Commander, he is also expensive but with access to some handy and deadly wargear…pass the Stealth Suit please!

* ~Librarian (Epistolary, Codicier): Comes with a Force weapon, Psychic Hood, and access to the most terrifying Psychic powers to date? One of his psychic powers make you take Morale checks…hopefully an Ethereal can help you with this. Again, he’s tough, but everything in W40K is built to fail!

Elites
Let’s face it…the Elites are the cream of the SM’s crop. But with such a highly renowned recognition of being deadly, there is a price: and it’s points!

* ~Terminators (Normal, Assault): Now with the new plastic Termie models out, almost every SM army will be out to get some and add them to their armies. When Tau players see 2 squads of Terminators, they panic.* However, they don’t realize the fact that since there is about 8 Termies, there is 320 points gone…without upgrades! So when you see a Termie squad, just smile and say “Hey, that’s 320 points of points gone into 8 little models…320 points gives me 30 models!” (Just an example). Sure, their 2+ save. 5+ invulnerable is scary, but with enough patience, anything can become undone.

* ~Veterans: Just old SM’s that have not yet faced the music of death. More expensive than Tacticals, but able to have Special Skills such as Tank Hunters, Infiltrate or Furious Charge. Be wary of a Veteran squad with Infiltrate, it just may prove deadly to your Stealth Suits or Kroot.

* ~Dreadnaught: For me, it’s the SM’s easiest c.c/fire support to defeat…just be sure not to throw too much firepower at it.

* ~Techmarine: Just ignore it.* “Oohh…he can repair damaged engines and Immobilization! *Cough*only when he is in base to base contact with the tank*cough*” He really won’t do you any harm personal harm, but he will most likely not come into contact with too many vehicles throughout the game…

Troops
Their Troops are highly trained and heavily armored…I love a challenge!

* ~Tactical Marines: The bread in the Bread and Butter Pickles of the SM army. Able to shoot with BS 4, have rapid fire weapons, and able to carry heavy weapons? Where’s my Ion Cannon? Sure, there can be a large amount of these bad boys toying around, but when they can field 10 SM’s, with a Sergeant tooled up, heavy and special weapons, they are going to be around 170-190 points easily. That’s enough for a 12-man Firewarrior squad with another 6-man standing beside it!

* ~Scouts: Arguably the most tactically flexible unit in the game of Warhammer. Able to Scout, have access for close combat weapons and heavy weapons (including snipers), I find them more deadly than the Tactical Marines!

Transports
The official Achilles Heal of the Space Marines! With the Rhino and Razorback at Ar. 10 and 11…it’s easy to pop the transports and make the marines walk!

Fast Attack
Space Marine fast attack is made up of something that Tau does not have a lot of…speed!

* ~Assault Squad: Able to get into assault in the second to third turn…Expensive, but when used in the right, err, wrong hands quite deadly! Take these guys out early! And if they deep strike…run!

* ~Land Speed Squadron: Hovering Cannon Fodder…Take them out for fun!

* ~Bikes (Squadron, Attack, Scout): Fast, agile, tough and expensive. Hmm…is there an echo in here? A majority of SM players have the “Be as swift as the Wind” Trait, enabling them to take bikes as Troops…therefore making an even more mobile army than Tau (but against Saim-Hann Eldar? Hmmm…) Just be careful where these guys end up, as they are the perfect flankers, especially Scouts and Attack bikes.

Heavy Support
The most concentrated of any opposing player goes to the Space Marine Heavy Support, and who doesn’t fear the wrath of a Land Raider or a Whirlwind (especially static Tau)! While big and toting many guns, do not waste too much time shooting at the HS, for there is a whole army speeding towards you!

* ~Devastator Squad: There is two parts to the Devastators – The weapon packers and the fodder.* A smart SM player will take devastators in squads of 8, resulting in 4 heavy weapons and 4 fodder Marines to soak up some damage. A pain in its own right…

* ~Vindicator: Armed with the Demolisher Cannon, it has to be up close and personal to get a good use out of it. Static Tau may have future problems with this piece of plastic metal, due the fact that it punches out Str. 10 ordnance!

* ~Predator (Annihilator, Destructor): These two machines are basically* “Little Land Raiders.” The have the possibility of destroying many units due to their awesome combos for weapon mounts, but 11 side armor means that it won’t be staying for the whole game!

* ~Whirlwind: A Guess range weapon with a minimum range. Deadly to Static, not too bad for Mechanized except for the Castellan missiles making mines on the ground. Best to be hunted by deep strike (Hurray for rear 10 armor)!

* ~Land Raider (and Crusader): The biggest thing in WH40K next to the monolith! Armor 14 all around is bad enough, but now the crusader can carry 8 Terminators! These machines are a pain in the bottom, but they can be conquered easily by the Tau; one just has to be patient while the Railguns go to work!

* * * The Tau
I would go into detail with the Tau here, explaining what unit is best for killing what, but in the real world it just doesn’t work! Players have to adapt to situations the best they can, if not, they find them self scrambling their little Plasma Rifles to get to a bunker before their Pathfinder team is over run! I also believe that I explain quite a bit of what units are good for what in the Tactics section. (also, this is getting to be too big of a project!)
Old 19 Apr 2005, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Aunat Guide: Playing Against SM Tactics

* * * The Tactics
Here I will explain what tactics I’ve tested that has come out to a reasonably solid victory. And if you have any more tactics that I can add, feel free to post or PM with your ideas!

* *Remove their Armor
The biggest threat from marines is their 3+ to 2+ save…but it can be beaten! In the Remove their Armor tactic a Tau player loads up on Crisis Suits with TL Plasma + Flamer/TL or TL Fusion Blaster + Flamer/TL, Ion Cannons, Rail Rifles, and Seekers. By negating their Marines 3+ Save, they fall quite easily. The drawback, however, it ends up being a quite expensive points-wise in the long run and tends to lay down few models for a lot of points.

* *Out-Maneuver Them
This tactic is best explained by the Tau Mechanized Tactica, ending up to be used almost exclusively in Mechanized Tau. The tactic goes like this: every unit in the Tau army must be able to move 12” in a turn (yes, that includes suits), Infiltrate or Deep Strike. Now, I must quote the Tau Mecha Bible:

Quote:
In order to win a game of Warhammer you necessarily need to dominate certain phases. Some army lists are geared to completely dominate one phase (say close combat), without any attention given to the others. Their goal is to use their extreme advantage in that one phase to so drastically overwhelm their opponent that they thereby minimize their disadvantages in the other phases. "I win Tau", the strategy whereby you bring maximum static firewarriors, maximum broadsides and shoot your opponent to death, is another example of this. In this case you are dominating the shooting phase at the exclusion of movement and close combat.

And now to my point. The novice Mech Tau player will now be saying to himself, "But why would any intelligent general choose to put points into dominating a phase that doesn't kill anything?!" This is true, the killing happens during the other two phases of the game. However, the reason dominating the movement phase is so effective, is that movement is the only phase of the game that doesn't depend on chance. Any Black Templar player can roll a command squad up to a line of Firewarriors and whiff with all 83 attacks. True, it's not very likely, but it can happen. A Devilfish that moves 12" in the movement phase always moves 12" in the movement phase, no matter how poorly you roll! Therefore, by choosing to invest points in mobility, an intelligent general will get their points worth 100% of the time. That is the advantage of dominating the movement phase, and that is the advantage of Mech Tau.
The downside to the tactic Out-Maneuver Them is a player tends to put a lot of points into vehicles, ending up with few models on the table.

* *Out Shoot Them
This tactic is also known as “Guard Tau” and “En Masse Tau”. Basically you are bringing a lot of firepower to the field, usually upwards to 60 static Firewarriors, 9 Broadsides and a whole whack of Stealth Suits and Crisis Suits. They are able to lay down horrible beautiful amount of fire on the field. The drawback (I’m getting a little sick of those!) is the fact that it is the most vulnerable to ordinance weapons.

* *Beat Them at their Own Game
The official Kroot-lovers Tactic! It is also the easiest one to get down pat…just swamp their squads with infiltrating Kroot! Drawback: You rely on Kroot! lol :P

* *Remove Their Tanks
The only tactic that works well with all of the others and simple. Take a handful of Railguns, Ion Cannons, and Seekers to the field and blast away! And the beauty of it all, there is no real drawback!

* *No Line of Sight
My personal favorite out of all of them (next to mech of course) is too load up on Smart Missile Systems, Seekers, and Missile Pods and go to work. Got a devastator squad that is hiding behind a bunker? No problem, just send a few Seekers their way to soften them up! This tactic also works well with others.

* * *Creating an "L" - By Doctor Thunder
Most Aggressive Space Marine Players like to gang up on one flank.* You can use this to your advantage by placing your more mobile elements in the center of your line.* FireWarriors with their Devilfish hiding nearby, Crisis Suits, and stuff like that.* You hammer away at the marine army while it barrels down on one flank.* Once it gets there, the units in the center mount up in their devilfish and use their mobility to redeploy towards your units on the opposite flank.* (You can move one turn or two before getting out again, depending on how much room you want to give yourself.)* This will force the marine player to have to cross a wide gap to get at you two times instead of just one, giving you that much more time to shoot at them.* When done properly, the movement of the space marine advance will take on an L shape, which is where the name comes from.

* * Blocking the Advance - By Doctor Thunder
One of the hidden gems of the new rules set is that Skimmers no longer block LOS for shooting, however, enemy models may not move under them.* You can use this to your advantage by using Multiple Skimmers to create walls that your opponant has to move around.* Done properly, this can delay an opponant hitting you by several turns.* Imagine a Space Marine Assault Squad with Jump Packs that is 12" from your lines, ready to pounce on its next turn.* You move up two Hammerheads and a Devilfish to create a wall in front of the Assault Marines.* Now, you can still shoot at them, and if you have equipped your tanks with Multi-Trackers, like you should have, then your tanks can still fire to full effect.* On the Space Marine players turn, the survivors cannot jump over the tanks, and so has to go around, meaning that he cannot charge you that turn.* Even if he manages to blow a tank up in the shooting phase, his movement phase will have already been lost.* This tactic can be used to give your line another round of shooting at the aggressive elements of a marine army, which can make the difference between a win and a loss.

* *Conclusion
Now that it is all said and done, I can now confidently say when people ask me “What is the best way to defeat Marines?” , “Lots of ways!”

Any tactic ideas, or corrections/comments, just post or PM me. Later Daze!

[size=8pt].: Transmission Terminated :.[/size]
Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To the wonderful information presented so far, I would like to add two of my own, Creating an "L" and Blocking the Advance.

Unlike Guard and Iron Warriors armies, there is no Tau army list which can butcher a well-made Space Marine list in only one or two turns of shooting. It's just not going to happen. Against an agressive marine player who advances at you, therefore, you want to prolong the shooting as much as possible to wear his army down. Both of these tactics are designed to give you more time to shoot up your oppponant before he gets to you.

Creating an "L"

Most Aggressive Space Marine Players like to gang up on one flank. You can use this to your advantage by placing your more mobile elements in the center of your line. FireWarriors with their Devilfish hiding nearby, Crisis Suits, and stuff like that. You hammer away at the marine army while it barrels down on one flank. Once it gets there, the units in the center mount up in their devilfish and use their mobility to redeploy towards your units on the opposite flank. (You can move one turn or two before getting out again, depending on how much room you want to give yourself.) This will force the marine player to have to cross a wide gap to get at you two times instead of just one, giving you that much more time to shoot at them. When done properly, the movement of the space marine advance will take on an L shape, which is where the name comes from.

Blocking the Advance

One of the hidden gems of the new rules set is that Skimmers no longer block LOS for shooting, however, enemy models may not move under them. You can use this to your advantage by using Multiple Skimmers to create walls that your opponant has to move around. Done properly, this can delay an opponant hitting you by several turns. Imagine a Space Marine Assault Squad with Jump Packs that is 12" from your lines, ready to pounce on its next turn. You move up two Hammerheads and a Devilfish to create a wall in front of the Assault Marines. Now, you can still shoot at them, and if you have equipped your tanks with Multi-Trackers, like you should have, then your tanks can still fire to full effect. On the Space Marine players turn, the survivors cannot jump over the tanks, and so has to go around, meaning that he cannot charge you that turn. Even if he manages to blow a tank up in the shooting phase, his movement phase will have already been lost. This tactic can be used to give your line another round of shooting at the aggressive elements of a marine army, which can make the difference between a win and a loss.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Doctor Thunder:
Thanks for your additions! They have been added!
Closed Thread