Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

is taking a Shas'ui a burn?
Old 09 Apr 2008, 16:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default is taking a Shas'ui a burn?

Ive been peering over the unit costs and Ive noticed a pretty crappy thing.

For every unit type, there is a chance to upgrade to a Shas'ui or equivilant for +10 points. In every case the only thing this grants you over the normal squad leader for +5 points is a +1 to WS or in some cases a one higher LD.

Why Why why why, in an army that the last thing you need to do is to get into hand-to-hand, do they upgrade the squad leader's WS by 1, and not his BS by 1??? He cant even take a close combat weapon? I dont think Tau have a word in their language for a close combat weapon, except for whatever terms they use to refer to the things other races use to beat them about the head and shoulders. How does it make any sence to even offer me this upgrade of WS?
Old 09 Apr 2008, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: is taking a Shas'ui a burn?

ah don't forget that innititive upgrade too. You know.... so you can swing before......... dirt

just a lil note, i dont see anyone that can take a team leader and shas'ui upgrade. Suits can take a shas'vre upgrade however

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 16:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shas'ui for Pathfinders/Fire warriors: Higher Leadership and Wargear(bonding Knife!).

Shas'vre for Crisis: Special Issue Wargear!
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 16:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ah yes a one higher WS and initiative. So you can flail your blue fist at the marine with the chainsword and powerfist before he knocks the unit down like bowling pins. :P

I guess what Im on about is why is the unit leader better at something the unit is never applied to like melee, when he should be a better shot after a longer length of service in a tau infantry role? If there was even the chance of taking an even mediocre melee weapon Id say OK. Understanding that its a shootie army not a punchie army, I cant see paying more points for higher stats, when a cheaper squad leader upgrade still gets me weargear options.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

i've never fought a battle where it didn't come to CC at some point. if CC is inevitable for a Tau army, then i usually find i fall back on the team leaders who actually have a chance of killing some guys before he goes, At the end of the day, i would prefer to have a little CC to fall back on, rather than increase my BS. Duly the BS might help, but its useless once your in the inevitable CC stage
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, those 5 points have a chance of saving your butt when it eventually draws to CC, so 5 points are pretty good... Mind you, you should try to avoid CC in the first place. (Duh)
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 11:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, yes, in the case of battlesuits, it's good to allow them to hold their own against enemies, especially as their your elites and can pretty much change the whole course of the battle for you. However, if you feel that they won't be getting into CC, a simple Team Leader will do.
On the other hand, with the Shas'uis in Fire Warrior/Pathfinder teams allow access to vital gear, Drones can given much needed protection and fire support, and Bonding Knives can make sure that your team stay in there just abit longer. As for the extra attack, it's the same as above, and it can give your squad a chance (even if it's a small one!).

Harlequin2 8)
Making clowning around, a profession...
Harlequin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 11:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If we are talking FW and PF, the 'ui gives you access to a target lock hard wired and a markerlight (for FW). This allows with FW, for example, the squad to shoot at an infantry target within 30" and the squad leader to markerlight a different target for another unit to target. I find this exceedingly confusing for the enemy who traditionally look for and hunt down pathfinders to kill the markerlights. With PF, the HWTL allow the 'ui to markerlight a different target so that your PF team can potentially light two targets in one turn.

If we are talking suits, access to the wargear gives HWTL to a team leader so that a team of 2 deathrains, for example, can target two separate targets in the same turn. Very handy when facing rhino or walker heavy armies, armies with nid warriors, bikes, and other Str7 targets. So now a team of 2 deathrains with twin linked missile pod, a target array and a team leader with a HWTL can effectively take out two of the above sort of thing per turn rather than overkilling one with 4 missiles.

And bonding is essential if using suit teams of 3 or static FW and PF. In fact, I bond everyone with a squad/team of more than 2 models.

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I always take the Shas'ui on the Fire Warriors for the increased leadership and with it a bonding knife. I prefer my troops to be able to hold their ground for a while more before they are obliterated. For that I say I invested my 15 points wisely.

As for the Crisis suits however, I do not bother to upgrade them to Shas'vre, as you do not need that upgrade unless you want Special Wargears, which in my opinion are sup-par as compared with the other wargears. A team Leader upgrade is all that you ever needed if you want Hard-wired equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 03:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was confused, arn't all battlesuit pilots automatically shas'uis?
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote