Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with winning my first encounter
Old 08 Apr 2008, 05:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Help with winning my first encounter

Hi guys,

I just joined the site and have found it really helpful so far. My buddies and I have just started with the game and are still in the process of putting together or armies. I decided on tau and am pleased with what the force has to offer, but my buddies decided on chaos (Something to do with a demon prince) and space marines ( blood angels). What do I need to know about beating the space marines I've seen he has at least one squad of jump jet units and it looks like he is going heavy on those units. He also getting Mephiston.

Right now i have the battleforce set plus 4 kroot hounds, 2 krootox and another carnivore squad of kroot.

I don't think the FoF strategy will work well with so many jump units on the table, but i'm looking for advice. What should i add to this army and what should i field in order to really beat th snot out of atleast the space marines. I'm interested in what tricks y'all tend to use against a chaos and space marine armies. Also, I'd appreciate on somethings y'all believe i should buy immediately.
Thanks Guys
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 06:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Help with winning my first encounter

Welcome to the site.
If you want tactical advice on certain units I highly recommend searching through the stickies at the top of the page.

As for immediate purchases, pretty much everyone is going to say a Sky Ray.
Not because it's a great battle tank (hammerhead is better), but that it comes with the parts to build any Tau tank (Devilfish, Hammerhead, or Sky Ray)

For your general army style, do you know if you're going to Statis, Hybrid, or Mechanised?
(Or Mobile Infantry, or Aggro, but those are somewhat more advanced)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 06:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm likely going to be more of a hybrid army, with leanings toward mobility. The way I've read this is tau has to stay out of close combat. I also like being a more active player in games, and i the hybrid style seems to suit that type of player. I like the flexibility of it

I also read through some of the stickies that involved the space marines and chaos and noticed tau have similar strategies toward both armies. So basically i need to get a group of broadsides with some rail guns and start pelting the rhinos?
Old 08 Apr 2008, 07:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

At this point, all you really need to crack Rhino's open are Deathrains. (Battlesuits with twin-linked missile pods)
Ionheads (Ion Cannon armed Hammerheads) are also worth their weight in gold against marines.
They can kill an average of 2 marines, or destroy a light vehicles, like a rhino.

With only the battleforce at you disposal, I would recommend only playing games at the 500-750 point level.
That way you get a decent spread of units without overloading on wargear or other upgrades.

Also, on your first battle, never expect to win.
With Tau, your first 5-10 battles will probably be losses as you figure out how everything works together and begin to properly grasp the tactics that are required.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Ravager is correct about the early win-loss record, Tau are much less forgiving than Chaos or Blood Angels. So don't get discouraged if it takes a few battles to learn how to maneuver them. I will tell you to watch out for BA's speed, they can move across the board very fast and excel at close combat. Also, if your friend is starting Chaos and just bought a Daemon Prince you can probably expect to face the Lash. (It allows him to move your pieces.) He can use that to force you out of cover or into close combat, not fun to deal with.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't be intimidated by Mephiston. He's scared of Railguns and by extension,Broadsides.

Have the Kroot lock with assault squads, then shoot the rest as they try to get close too you.

Have loads of Fire Warriors and watch him drop(you should get two turns of good shooting with them and considering that your Fire Warriors will outrange him by about 2-1, you'll cause a good bit of damage.

Have a Broadside/Hammerhead handy to pop tanks/Furioso Dreadnoughts/ Mephiston/ ICs/Death Company.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 17:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I appreciate all the advice. It should help, I doubt get discouraged by losing, but i am very competitive so to hear they are gonna crush me the few times is tough news to bear. I am also willing to go out by any pieces y'all deem necessary.

I gathered i need a hammerhead tank?

again thank y'all so much
Old 08 Apr 2008, 17:46   #8 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

For best results I recommend (when the points allow) two Hammerheads with Ion Cannons (works great against marines of all stripes) and a team of Broadsides w/Shield Drones (great against vehicles and for insta-kills) as your 3 heavy slots. Others may disagree but I think that is the best all comers heavy list.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 18:36   #9 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

Firewarriors, Deathrain Crisis suits (twin linke Missle Pods), and Ion Cannon Hammerheads. Math says that the ion canon is better against marines than a railgun, but the railgun is more versitile. Use magnets to attatch them, and try both. Use Deathrain suits in teams of 2, that way you can avoid the morale modifiers for being below half strength. Use devilfish to keep you FWs safe-ish. Your FWs should have pulse rifles, especialy if you put them in a DF.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 18:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
For best results I recommend (when the points allow) two Hammerheads with Ion Cannons (works great against marines of all stripes) and a team of Broadsides w/Shield Drones (great against vehicles and for insta-kills) as your 3 heavy slots. Others may disagree but I think that is the best all comers heavy list.
This is my heavy load out as well. I find it most satisfying. Ions are truely unloved by many, but if you can keep those broadsides alive into turn 4 you'll find those 6 ion shots will slow up the marines.

Fishpaste is offline   Reply With Quote