Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau blood
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau blood

i seem to remember there being allot said about Tau having blue blood, especially some random hypothesis thing.

but i was reading "Star of Damocles" and it refers to tau's "crimson blood". do Tau have blue blood or not?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau blood

This is currently undecided as GW is happy for one writer to say crimson and another to say cyan, therefore you may believe whichever without anyone being able to say otherwise.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The book "Firewarrior" was, IIRC, the only fluff source claiming Tau have blue blood (Im not sure about Xenology; I have never even seen the cover of this particular book).

"Firewarrior" is not only based on a rather crappy Ego-Shooter, it is also founded firmly in 3rd Edition fluff, much of which has been retconned - for example, none of the newer Ethereal models has the diamond-shaped bone ridge over its nasal slits; pheromone control has been more or less writtten out of the Codex (or at least it isn`t mentioned anymore), and so on.

Newer fluff sources describe Tau Blood as red (which can be seen very graphically in "Dawn of War" - although, of course, this particular product is not really canon, fluff-wise), and no mentioning of Cyan blood was made again since Firewarrior - apart from fan fiction and wild fan-based theories (which I rather liked, but... meeeeh....).

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:16   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Tau blood is cyan, due to cobalt in it.

If GW tell you otherwise, they are wrong.

Its basically a cool little distinction, that they have failed to capitalise on, which make the Tau that much more alien.

Think about it - they look humaniod, they can speak your language and the (water caste) can even act like humans.

But when the bleed it is not the pure red of human, but the blue of the Xenos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
The book "Firewarrior" was, IIRC, the only fluff source claiming Tau have blue blood (Im not sure about Xenology; I have never even seen the cover of this particular book).
Yes, and it's the only decent thing in that novel.

Quote:
"Firewarrior" is not only based on a rather crappy Ego-Shooter, it is also founded firmly in 3rd Edition fluff, much of which has been retconned - for example, none of the newer Ethereal models has the diamond-shaped bone ridge over its nasal slits; pheromone control has been more or less writtten out of the Codex (or at least it isn`t mentioned anymore), and so on.
Xenology was written around the time of the "modern" Codex, and it shows the Diamond Ridge quite clearly. It is also from Xenology the Pheromone-control theory is not only built upon, but given a potential source.

And claiming retcon is not going to fly here; GW's "retcon" is weak. Whereas the 3rd Edition material painted the Tau in a complex, detailed and somewhat naive manner, the 4th Edition book has gone out of its way to give us no background information beyond "this is how Tau kill things". They have pissed about with Tau lifespans with the Puretide crap, leaving a giant tumor in the heart of the race's fluff, weakened the entire Race's credibility because now every Tau Commander who isn't either inbred, or terminally retarded magically studied under Puretide. Wow, so in one fell swoop the Tau went from being intelligent and adaptive to being mindless slaves who can't think for themselves unless one all-powerful Shas'O tells them how. Christ. :

Quote:
Newer fluff sources describe Tau Blood as red (which can be seen very graphically in "Dawn of War" - although, of course, this particular product is not really canon, fluff-wise), and no mentioning of Cyan blood was made again since Firewarrior - apart from fan fiction and wild fan-based theories (which I rather liked, but... meeeeh....)
Dawn of War... the game that says Tau don't use Turrets (which they do), that Mandrakes are weak rank-and-file of the Dark Eldar (which they aren't), and over-powers various units for the sake of meeting their tech-tree quota.

DoW is not a good source of reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Apr 2008, 11:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Night_Lancer

I've always believed the Tau to have cyan blood, mostly to what I've heard from a couple of stories and talking to people

i look at it this way, we have pinkish red skin, and red blood, I'm not biology nerd or anything thing, but I've heard that we get part of our skin color from our blood. tau have blue skin, so it would make total sense based on that theory that they would have cyan blood

thats my theory anyway

~Lancer
Old 08 Apr 2008, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Both Fire Warrior and Xenology state that Tau have blue/cyan blood; both authored by Simon Spurrier.

IIRC, the only one saying otherwise is Andy Hoare; the codex-writer and author of the Rogue Star series.

So yeah, in effect, it's Simon Spurrier's opinion versus Andy Hoare's.

Dawn of War should not, in any circumstance, be even considered used as a canonical source of information.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Old 08 Apr 2008, 15:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Take a look at this article: http://www.tauonline.org/Article/254...ueandhereswhy/
Old 08 Apr 2008, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Awww, I wanted to reference that Vendak. It was the big article that was being debated when I joined the forums way back when.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 10:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that the the Tau have blue blood simply because they are aliens and their skin is blue.
I mean seriously, to them, we are aliens.
Our skin is pinkish.
Do you think they think we have pinkish blood?
I mean realistically do any animals you know have the same colour blood as their skin tone?

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Closed Thread