Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Starting Tau

I want to start a Tau army up, preferably a mobile/transport mech army. I want to use Devilfish and firewarriors and do the "fish of fury" tactic.

I need some advice on what I should get, addons, weapons etc.

I haven't boughten the codex yet but I'm going to pick one up soon.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Starting Tau

Well, then you have your answer already - buy a Codex ^^

A good overall starting guide can be found here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=34468.0

But, seriously, you can get a team of Firewarriors without any problem, since they are a 1+ choice. You can also already purchase a Devilfish (or a Skyray, if you don`t mind the extra cost - the bits are well worth it).

Also, a Crisis Suit can already be safely purchased - you need one, anyway, to represent your Commander. But either wait with the glue or magnetise it, so you don`t have to curse when you want to change the weaponry

Further purchases depend strongly on your personal taste, but another Skyray (ALWAYS buy the Skyray boxes - they cost just as much as the Hammerhead boxes, but have far more bits in them - and all the pieces to create a Hammerhead, as well!) wouldn´t be a problem, since you`ve already decided that you want to go Mech.

So, get the Codex, one or two units of Firewarriors (+Ride), a Commander, a Skyray, and you have more than enough to start with

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

A codex is the first thing you should get. Otherwise you probably won't understand a lot of the answers you are likely to get.

Also about the magnetizing. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=12647.0

That is a good guide.

You should check out the background articles stickied topic on the Tau boards, it has this and everything else you will need to know about customizing your suits and tanks
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

(got my codex)

For the Devilfish entry, it says it can transport a squad of twelve models (including drones), does that mean 12 fire warriors plus 2 drones or 10 plus two drones?

And how do you effectively use a skyray...first off the seeker missle system says you can only attach 2 to a vehicle, but the skyray has six...I get that you need a marker light from a squad to fire it, but do all six missiles fire at once, or just one?

Old 08 Apr 2008, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
(got my codex)

For the Devilfish entry, it says it can transport a squad of twelve models (including drones), does that mean 12 fire warriors plus 2 drones or 10 plus two drones?

And how do you effectively use a skyray...first off the seeker missle system says you can only attach 2 to a vehicle, but the skyray has six...I get that you need a marker light from a squad to fire it, but do all six missiles fire at once, or just one?
12 Models total. So thats either 12 FW, 10 FW 2 drones, etc.

The skyray is an exception to that rule, as it comes standard with them, and you are not adding them via wargear. Also, as far as I know, you can fire as many as you want per turn, but if you destroy it with the first shot, and you fired 3... sort of a waste

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 18:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright, do shield drones give the entire squad a 4+ invulnerable save? It says "they" have a 4+ invulnerable save but no where in the codex does it say that it gives it to the entire squad.

And for commander Farsight, can I only take the units listed under the break away faction or can I take ones that are not listed under 0-1 I.E. devilfish.

Oh, and I need some layouts for my battle suits, not sure what weapons to take. And while I'm on the topic of battlesuits, how many weapons can each one fire? There was something about firing more than one weapon system....

Old 08 Apr 2008, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

They can only fire one one weapon unless they have a multi-tracker in which case they can fire all of them.

What weapons you give them depends entirely upon what you want them to do.

Only shield drones themselves have the save, not the whole squad.

With Farsight, 0-1 units only means you can have a maximum of one of these, anything else is unnafected by this unless its under the list of things you can't have at all.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 19:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shield Drones do not give a squad the 4+ inv. The way they work is when their squad is hit by something that ignores their armor save, you can put one of those wounds on the Drone to attempt a save. Just think of it as a bodyguard. Anyways, Shield Drones should be of minimum concern for you as a mech player - you generally shouldn't worry about them until you start bringing big units of crisis suits.

With Farsight, the Codex limits you to what you can and cannot bring... I think it's pretty clear. Just follow the instructions. Attachable models like Devilfish can always be attached to a Firewarrior squad since they count as the squad's equipment.

On Crisis suits, these topics may be helpful:

What does what best? - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=62255.0
Best Crisis Configs For? (old article) - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...9433#msg139433

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas vre Tau kais
They can only fire one one weapon unless they have a multi-tracker in which case they can fire all of them.
You can fire two weapons. Not all.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 22:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
The skyray is an exception to that rule, as it comes standard with them, and you are not adding them via wargear. Also, as far as I know, you can fire as many as you want per turn, but if you destroy it with the first shot, and you fired 3... sort of a waste
The skyray can fire one at time and you can keep using them until you kill the target, not shoot 3 and kill with one. :P
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote