DC
(2)DS

Total = 137

does this work your thought please
For The Greater of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 18:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My Commander

You're not supposed to list exact values. Some ridiculous IP thing GW has a kick for enforcing.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
You're not supposed to list exact values. Some ridiculous IP thing GW has a kick for enforcing.
what? exact values?

[hr]

its good, i use the CIB myself, even if just for fluffy reasons. its ok MEQ and good for everything else.
the missile pod is always a good choice, MT to fire both.

and the drones to add extra wounds.

there's nothing i would add to that, except hardwire the DC and the MT and get a sheild generator. but i'm rather partial to SG's because i tend to fight low AP armies
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A couple of comments.

First of all: The CIB. While it is a cool weapon, I personally don`t see much use for it. It is too random to effectively count on it when going Marine-hunting, and I just don`t seem to face enough GEQs to make it worthwile. Still, I can understand that you`ve chosen it.
The MP as a secondary weapon looks rather indecisive to me - what is the main task for your Commander? Marine-hunting? Then I`d recommend a Plasma rifle. The shorter range on the PR shouldn`t be a problem - you want to get as close as possible, anyways, thanks to your CIB.

Then, the two Drones - I suppose they are shield Drones?
I prefer to use my Commanders without Drones, since they take away his IC-status when it comes to shooting - and not being shot at beats having additional protection when shot at ^^

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 20:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
A couple of comments.

First of all: The CIB. While it is a cool weapon, I personally don`t see much use for it. It is too random to effectively count on it when going Marine-hunting, and I just don`t seem to face enough GEQs to make it worthwile. Still, I can understand that you`ve chosen it.
The MP as a secondary weapon looks rather indecisive to me - what is the main task for your Commander? Marine-hunting? Then I`d recommend a Plasma rifle. The shorter range on the PR shouldn`t be a problem - you want to get as close as possible, anyways, thanks to your CIB.

Then, the two Drones - I suppose they are shield Drones?
I prefer to use my Commanders without Drones, since they take away his IC-status when it comes to shooting - and not being shot at beats having additional protection when shot at ^^

Cheers,
-Bone
People always want to bring up the IC status...Really I have seen quite a few people run their commanders completely separate from other squads.

They do lose the IC protection if you aren't careful.

Old 07 Apr 2008, 21:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
They do lose the IC protection if you aren't careful.
Yes, but you ALWAYS lose it if you take Drones.

Besides, if you`re not careful with your Commander to start with, you lose him no matter what you do, so most assumptions when fielding a Commander are usually along the lines of "sensible, halfway competent Tau player"

Losing the Drones not only let`s him keep IC-status, it also makes the footprint of the unit smaller - the Commander can more easily hide behind terrain features, and/or downed vehicles. What use is a Drone if it is sniped away because you can`t hide it with your Commander behind a terrain feature?

But again, that`s just my opinion. If you want an "in the thick of battle"-Commander (Helios, for example), Shield Drones might be a good idea - but then the cost of the unit explodes.
The only way I`d field Shield Drones with my Commander would be if he has also a Crisis Bodyguard - If I`m already paying 120+ points for two Crisis Bodyguards, I can also spend 30 points to keep them alive longer

So, no. Your Commander shouldn`t be close enough to the enemy to actually be shot at, so Shield Drones are useless. The only Commander where Drones might be vaguely useful is the Ninja`O (with proper drone placement during the assault, you can minimise return attacks) - but with a VRT-system, Drones aren`t allowed.

Another reason against Drones are the costs. I`ve already shortly touched on this subject, but I can`t really stress the point enough: A halfways cheap Commander costs around 95 points (Fireknive/Helios El with TA). Adding Drones worth 30 points drastically reduces the shots per point (AND he loses his IC protection, which means I CAN`T deploy him just behind my tanks, which means he competes with my Crisis Suits for cover...).

So, no. For me, the reasons against Drones far outweigh the reasons for them.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 22:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I didn't think of the footprint honestly. I like seeing leaders used as a mobile scalpel myself, they have the capability to be nearly anything you want them to be if used in conjunction with other units not just a stay back and shoot role either.

Old 07 Apr 2008, 23:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Listen to Bone

Drones on a Commander is a waste of points. A cheap Commander is always better, simple because it a commander doesn't need many points to be effective. And other units WILL need those points. Also, IC status is an incredible bonus for a Tau commander if used properly. Simple because he is, potentially, our most precise shooter, and with IC he can't be shot back at if we have a unit closer to the enemy (excluding stealth teams i believe).

For Example. My Commander

Shas'El
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
Stimulant Injectors
= Somewhere between 85 and 90 points, i don't quite remember.

This setup is your basic all-rounder. BC for hordes, light armor and light vehicles. MP for medium armor, monstrous creatures and medium vehicles. While also making him a pain in the behind to get rid off. My opponents normally think he is more trouble than he is worth to kill, unless the manage to get him into combat, which usually ties a unit up for 2 or possibly 3 turns which is another bonus.

I don't believe in a commander tank hunting or chasing heavy armor, he is too valuable. I leave that to Crisis teams. Helios and Fireknife for heavy armor. and FireSurge, Stormsurge and Sunforge for tank hunting. I preferably leave tanks to railguns anyway.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 00:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's not very good advice. (edited to prevent misunderstandings)

Using a burst cannon on an XV is horrendous planning. Why waste one of the few resources the Tau have for heavier weapons?.

Old 08 Apr 2008, 01:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Not screwy advice...

I only recommend a BC on a commander. This is through trial and error, not through reading and planning statistics. Everything is up too personal preference, i am merely offering my experience and advice.

Yes a BC on a Crisis suit is a bad idea. Fire Warriors are much better for that sort of thing. BUT a commander with a BC is ok. Provided that you give him another weapon of offset the weakness of the BC, in my case i use the MP. Again it is just versatility.

You say i am wasting resources that could be used for heavier weapons? I say i am just planning my commander to be able to take on a wider range of targets with more efficiency. Besides, what heavy weapons would you put on a crisis suit? FB's?
I say that IS a waste. Tau are meant for range. I don't believe in getting that close to an enemy unless its a stealth team that has a good chance to get away. Heavy Weapons and heavy tanks are best left to Broadsides and our Tanks. IMHO.

It is not screwy advice, merely a different way of playing.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote